F Lucas Wallmark - Luleå, SHL (2014, 97th overall, Carolina)

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
How can this guy make the WJC20 Sweden team with an other year of eligibility and not being drafted? I understand that he isn't the fastest skater, but he most be very good in other area of the game to compensate...

Did well in the Allsvenskan last season and still performing well in SHL and Allsvenskan this season.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39022

Probably the biggest undrafted surprise of the 2013 draft.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
How can this guy make the WJC20 Sweden team with an other year of eligibility and not being drafted? I understand that he isn't the fastest skater, but he most be very good in other area of the game to compensate...

Did well in the Allsvenskan last season and still performing well in SHL and Allsvenskan this season.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39022

Probably the biggest undrafted surprise of the 2013 draft.

Wow eh? Very good stats in his draft year. And he isnt undersized either. weird that he didnt get drafted. But he is a good player. Played well so far for Sweden in pre-comp games. Sergei Tolchinksy is another guy who is amazing and didnt get drafted

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Tolchinsky-esque omission here, indeed. Let's see how he plays at the WJC.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Terrible skater

He must be really good otherwise then...

Edit: I mean Barkov went 2nd overall with subpar skating. And this kid went undrafted with "bad skating". What's the real difference here? Makes me wonder...

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
He must be really good otherwise then...

Edit: I mean Barkov went 2nd overall with subpar skating. And this kid went undrafted with "bad skating". What's the real difference here? Makes me wonder...

Barkov isn't bad skater he's just average.

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
The problems with Wallmark is, as mentioned skating and size (NHL-vise), but he is no doubt a very talented player with great playmaking abilities and a good two way game. I fully expect him to be drafted this summer. Especially if he makes a good WJC tournamet. Which he probably will.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably 4th round

You don't think he'll go higher than that? After all this draft class is pretty meh. Should be a 3rd rounder at least no? Then again I have no idea what the customs are when it comes to drafting an over-age player.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You don't think he'll go higher than that? After all this draft class is pretty meh. Should be a 3rd rounder at least no? Then again I have no idea what the customs are when it comes to drafting an over-age player.

Overage players can go anywhere. Trevor Lewis, David Perron are examples of recent passed over players going as high as the first round. But many passed over players continue to be undrafted. Whether they are passed over or not does not generally effect there draft status.

I and many others had Wallmark as a 2nd rounder last year. Why he was passed over I have no idea. I could see him anywhere from 2nd to undrafted again.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I believe someone on twitter (a Craig Button or other draft prospect commentator) mentioned something about him breaking his heel and teams not wanting to take the risk on him because of that. I believe it impeded his skating and teams were concerned if he could ever get over it.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I believe someone on twitter (a Craig Button or other draft prospect commentator) mentioned something about him breaking his heel and teams not wanting to take the risk on him because of that. I believe it impeded his skating and teams were concerned if he could ever get over it.

He had two major injuries, the heel was one and I think the other was a knee injury. He wasn't lightning quick before those but It definitely effected his skating. I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed over again, many of our best players in the WJC have gone undrafted after terrific performances.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
The reason he went undrafted is not mainly his skating but his attitude towards training and working hard. Great hockey sense and good technical skills but simply a bit lazy. But i think he definitely will get drafted this summer. To much skill to pass seven rounds.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I only got to see Wallmark a little bit in the WJC, can anyone expand on how he's been with Luleå? I know statistically he started off the season on fire but has cooled down significantly.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I only got to see Wallmark a little bit in the WJC, can anyone expand on how he's been with Luleå? I know statistically he started off the season on fire but has cooled down significantly.

Wallmark is producing at a point per game and also leading Lulea in points. Seems to be quite a playmaker with 17 assists. He and Aho are both looking like quite promising picks overseas.

I would imagine he comes to North America next season. Who knows, he could potentially make the Canes if they move out and don't re-sign UFA forwards such as Versteeg, E. Staal, Gerbe, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad