F Liam Stewart - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2012 undrafted)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Liam Stewart is 17 years old and has been called up to the GB U-18 team. I was just wondering if he was draft eligible this year and if is going to take part in that? One to keep an eye on if you're from the UK as he's supposed to be decent.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yep, draft eligible. Never watched him before, though.

Also notable that he's the son of Rod Stewart.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Liam Stewart suffered an injury on Saturday night vs. the Tri City Americans on a hit from behind. It's at the beginning of this video:

Not sure of the extent of the injury, but he did not return to the game.

Stewart has started the season as the third line center for the Chiefs, though he will likely be moved up and down the lineup as injuries/suspensions continue to occur. Saturday was my first chance to see him in live action, and he definitely impressed me with his two-way game. I honestly hadn't had a clue that he was Rod Stewart's kid :laugh: ... but I had commented that he looks like he'll be a good player for the Chiefs.

Good size at 6'1", 180 ... once he fills out he could be a very effective player. I'll keep you updated as the season wears on. Stewart is eligible for the 2012 NHL draft.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Cheers. I'm hoping he get's drafted as it'd be nice to have a Great British player drafted.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Update on his stats;

50GP 8G 10A 18PTS

Not the great but I think he was injured for a while.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
He's not on NHL Central Scouting's top prospects list, and he seems to be a 4th liner in the WHL, he's got no chance.

And he isn't even really "British" since he never played hockey here, they had to go to an IIHF hearing to get dispensation for him to play for GB.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Currently playing this season for Spokane Chiefs, 34GP 8G 8A 16PTS

Very unlikely he'll make it.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Currently playing this season for Spokane Chiefs, 34GP 8G 8A 16PTS

Very unlikely he'll make it.

Not sure the point of bumping this thread, if it was just to say that. But I find he's improved this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get drafted. Big fan.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He is much better player than what his stats say. He is a great skater, gives 110% every shift, and has all the tools to become a solid forechecker. I don't know if he will be drafted, but I definitely see an invitation to a training camp in the future.

He reminds me a lot of Dan Hinote, character player who silently contributes to teams who win Cups.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Any updates on this thread?

Named assistant captain this season, and has 9 points in 16 games so far. I said it last year but if he played on a more high profile team I don't think he would've been drafted, but would've had at least a camp invite.

Edit: But then again I would've drafted him over some players drafted last summer, or the year before.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's not on NHL Central Scouting's top prospects list, and he seems to be a 4th liner in the WHL, he's got no chance.

And he isn't even really "British" since he never played hockey here, they had to go to an IIHF hearing to get dispensation for him to play for GB.

Pretty harsh ;) they have 4th lines in the NHL you know

Any updates on this thread?

He's a role player and he knows his role. He compares himself to Jarret Stoll so you can figure out a lot about him from that alone. He plays a two-way game, kills penalties, chips in offensively when he can, character guy off the ice (wears an A for Spokane), and he plays with a bit of an edge. First time you hear "Rod Stewart son plays hockey" you wouldn't think he'd have the maturity that Liam Stewart has had with Spokane over the last few years lol

I doubt anybody on here will say he's going to the NHL, I know I won't, but nobody should count him out. He was never drafted into the WHL and made the team as a 17 year old. He knows & plays an important role that every winning team needs. His last name should help him too ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad