F Kyle Mandleur - Boston Jr. Bandits, NCDC (2019 undrafted)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Is anyone familiar with Kyle Mandleur and has seen him play recently?

He is listed at 6'5 240 lbs and was passed over in the 2019 draft. He appears to have had some dominant USHS-Prep stats, got a division 1 NCAA commitment and then has fallen off since then. Here are his stats:

USHS-Prep 2017-2018: 21 GP 38 G 21 A 59 PTS
NAHL 2018-2019: 5 GP 2 G 0 A 2 PTS
AYHL 18 U 2018-2019: 4 GP 3 G 2 A 5 PTS
NCDC 2019-2020: 44 GP 22 G 15 A 37 PTS
Kyle Mandleur at eliteprospects.com

He was drafted by the NAHL, USHL and OHL and has a division 1 commitment to the University of Vermont. I can't find any information as to why he missed the majority of last season and his NCDC stats aren't that impressive. But those USHS-Prep stats stand out for a bigger player.
Perhaps the most impressive part of Mandleur’s game isn’t his scoring acumen, but the ease with which he guides his 6-foot-5 frame across the ice.
“He’s very big, he’s a big guy,” McNally said. “But I think his skating has come a long way from where he started freshman year. He’s kind of able to get himself into areas where he couldn’t before. He’s a huge kid who can stick handle and shoot and that’s kind of a rare combination.
“When you watch Erik Lindross’ jersey ceremony this year, they’re kind of describing the same type of player -- this rare combination of huge height and a finesse game. And he’s got a kind of an NHL shot, so he was able to get himself to areas where he could let it go. He scores a lot shooting, kind of a quick snap-shot. It’s not like he’s going around 10 guys and deking the goalie. Once he gets it in his spots, and obviously he has some teammates that are pretty good at getting it to him, he can really put it home before anyone knows what’s going on.”Kyle Mandleur of Princeton is Times of Trenton Player of Year in ice hockey, 2017-18

Here is a full game of his from back in 2017. He is wearing number 20.

Here is a more recent clip of his play. He is wearing number 57.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
massive body who muscled his way to points and ice time until other players caught up with him and improved while he flatlined development it looks like

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
massive body who muscled his way to points and ice time until other players caught up with him and improved while he flatlined development it looks like

Isn't USHS-Prep varsity? He had good offensive production in both 2016-2017 and 2017-2018. So we would have been 15 to 16 in the first season and 16-17 in the second season. If it is varsity then he should have been playing in a league with physically developed players.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I don't see much of a prospect here if I'm being honest.
What flaws do you see? I am curious because he has a commitment to the University of Vermont and they must have seen some potential in him. Also wouldn't the University of Vermont revoke the commitment if they have tracked his progress and no longer see potential in him?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Isn't USHS-Prep varsity? He had good offensive production in both 2016-2017 and 2017-2018. So we would have been 15 to 16 in the first season and 16-17 in the second season. If it is varsity then he should have been playing in a league with physically developed players.

thats exactly when a lot of players are growing, filling out and developing (he was 16 in the second year)

hence why most junior drafts are not exactly accurate for who becomes the best players/gets drafted

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
What flaws do you see? I am curious because he has a commitment to the University of Vermont and they must have seen some potential in him. Also wouldn't the University of Vermont revoke the commitment if they have tracked his progress and no longer see potential in him?

Colleges can't technically revoke a commitment. They can tell a player that they don't see him in their future plans anymore, which usually forces a player to decommit. Those numbers are pretty bad though, and wouldn't land a player on a division 1 or division 3 team.

USHS prep is varsity, but that doesn't really tell you anything. That prep school is a team out in NJ and they play virtually nobody. Unless its a Minnesota high school or a renowned NEPSAC team, you should take all USHS-prep stats with a massive grain of salt

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
NCDC 2019-2020: 27 GP 5 G 5 A 10 PTS

It looks like he finished the season on a scoring streak after a slow start: 17 goals and 27 points in his last 17 games

Probably worth a 7th round pick.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It looks like he finished the season on a scoring streak after a slow start: 17 goals and 27 points in his last 17 games

Probably worth a 7th round pick.
Yeah he had a strong finish, production wise, to the season. He seemed to play center back in his USHS-Prep days but has been playing win in NCDC. He has good straight line speed and seems like a pure goal scorer as he is very good at getting himself open into scoring positions. At 6'6 250 lbs it makes him an interesting prospect. I also think the fact that he is going into the NCAA is a positive as it gives him plenty of time to develop. I think he is well worth a 7th rounder in this draft.

Reactions: Habs76

coach22

Aug 30, 2020
Is anyone familiar with Kyle Mandleur and has seen him play recently?

He is listed at 6'5 240 lbs and was passed over in the 2019 draft. He appears to have had some dominant USHS-Prep stats, got a division 1 NCAA commitment and then has fallen off since then. Here are his stats:

NCDC 2019-2020: 27 GP 5 G 5 A 10 PTS

He was drafted by the NAHL, USHL and OHL and has a division 1 commitment to the University of Vermont. I can't find any information as to why he missed the majority of last season and his NCDC stats aren't that impressive. But those USHS-Prep stats stand out for a bigger player.

Here is a full game of his from back in 2017. He is wearing number 20.

Here is a more recent clip of his play. He is wearing number 57.

The Hun school is an independent prep school in NJ that plays public schools and other small independent prep schools. The level of hockey is not strong and in no way comparative to New England Prep hockey.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Hun school is an independent prep school in NJ that plays public schools and other small independent prep schools. The level of hockey is not strong and in no way comparative to New England Prep hockey.
Thanks for the update. He does have a division 1 NCAA commitment to play at the University of Vermont so someone saw some potential in him. He was also drafted by the OHL, USHL and NAHL back then so those organizations saw something they liked. Even though he was expected to play at UVM this year he was also drafted in the USHL phase 2 draft and the NAHL supplemental draft. So there are people that see something there. What he eventually becomes remains to be seen but thanks for the information.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thanks for the update. He does have a division 1 NCAA commitment to play at the University of Vermont so someone saw some potential in him. He was also drafted by the OHL, USHL and NAHL back then so those organizations saw something they liked. Even though he was expected to play at UVM this year he was also drafted in the USHL phase 2 draft and the NAHL supplemental draft. So there are people that see something there. What he eventually becomes remains to be seen but thanks for the information.
It's not a good thing when NAHL and USHL teams are drafting your rights when you are 19, that means they see you as a guy that will be in those leagues

I'd be surprised if he got any playing time at Vermont the next few years, and he's definitively not on an NHL teams radar, he probably wouldn't get a D1 offer at this point if he never signed a letter of intent 3.5 years ago.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I just updated it. I created the thread a while back and hadn't looked at it until it was bumped recently.

The stats for the league aren't out of wack with those of a D1 commit. The kid, however, looks like he needs to cut about 25 lbs to keep up in D1 hockey

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The stats for the league aren't out of wack with those of a D1 commit. The kid, however, looks like he needs to cut about 25 lbs to keep up in D1 hockey
Agreed. He put up the majority of his points in the second half of the season and given that he barely played last season it makes sense that he would have had a slower start. If he can maintain the consistency he had in the 2nd half then he will start to stand out more. For example 17 of his 22 goals and 10 of his 15 assists came since January. He played 19 games since January so he was scoring at 0.895 goals per game, 0.526 assists per game and 1.42 points per game. That would have had him ranked 3rd in the league for points per game and he would have been tied for the lead in goals scored if he played 50 games at that pace.

I agree that he needs to lean up and I think the extra body fact negatively impacts his performance. It is also the reason why I have some confidence in his NHL upside because it seems plausible that improving his conditioning and fitness level could result in substantial leaps in performance.

I compiled some clips on his performance this season and put it into a video. So if you are interested you might find it worth checking out.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Agreed. He put up the majority of his points in the second half of the season and given that he barely played last season it makes sense that he would have had a slower start. If he can maintain the consistency he had in the 2nd half then he will start to stand out more. For example 17 of his 22 goals and 10 of his 15 assists came since January. He played 19 games since January so he was scoring at 0.895 goals per game, 0.526 assists per game and 1.42 points per game. That would have had him ranked 3rd in the league for points per game and he would have been tied for the lead in goals scored if he played 50 games at that pace.

I agree that he needs to lean up and I think the extra body fact negatively impacts his performance. It is also the reason why I have some confidence in his NHL upside because it seems plausible that improving his conditioning and fitness level could result in substantial leaps in performance.

I compiled some clips on his performance this season and put it into a video. So if you are interested you might find it worth checking out.

He reminds me of Dustin Penner. A really tall and thick specimen with decent wheels and hands who is a classic late bloomer.

Reactions: bert and RAFI BOMB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad