Confirmed Signing with Link: F Josh Ho-Sang to the KHL

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
as an Islander fan I can't say I am opposed to seeing this , but I wouldn't be surprised if he never gets a shot again given how the NHL is

you know nothing about him
He is 26 years old with one season at any level with over 20 goals. Seems not very good, but he will have a chance to prove himself with Ufa

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
This kid will comes back eventually and will probably make NYI look bad

We keep hearing this about every team that gets rid of him. He's 26 now. Hopefully he gets over how the entire world has conspired to ruin his hockey career...or he can just pull his head out of his own ass.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I mean, he wasn't even destroying the AHL, so I'm not sure his skill set was NHL level.

The attributes were there, just not at a high enough level.

He was killing it at the start of the AHL season for the Marlies which had people complaining that he deserved a chance with the Leafs, but he wasn't able to keep it up either because of motivation or durability reasons.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Ho-Sang has a monotone playing style. Take the puck in the D zone, keep ut as maintaing speed - and having elite puckpossesion and skating edges, thats just what he does. He has some puck creativity, but is surprisingly uncreative in cycling or finnishing. He often finnish, or firing the puck after stopping on his skates. Not shoting on the rush, or in movement. He sees himself as a teamplayer who sets up guys nowadays. That video on HoSang was great, he should see and learn of it.
He should be more alert and hubgty at scoring, looking to finnish a play.
He is just a heavy project. Great talent in some areas, and limited in half of his package
Sounds a bit like Brad Lambert.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I really don't understand how people still have so much animosity for Ho-Sang. He's clearly matured and was extremely humble in Leafs camp last year, openly talked about how he would be happy with any assignment the Leafs gave him and that he just wanted to be a part of the organization.

He didn't look out of place at all in preseason, drove play often and a large portion of the fanbase wanted him to make the team. He took an AHL deal, never complained once, and became a solid producer for the Marlies. The Leafs ended up not giving him an NHL deal again, so he decided to get a well-deserved payday in the K.

Like I don't understand multiple people coming into this 2-year-old thread and saying how he's useless, annoying, and a "watered down Rob Schremp"

I didn't know it was an old thread? When I posted it was literally the first thread on this forum and I responded to a post that was literally made about an hour or so before mine so I responded to that post about what type of player Ho-Sang reminded them of.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was reading a couple of old scouting reports on him before he was drafted..

“Ho-Sang has been a known commodity in scouting circles since a memorable season as an underaged player with the Toronto Marlboros Minor Midget team in 2010-11. The undersized forward is an absolute wizard with the puck and his powerful strides are often enough to beat any defender when he really wants to. Consistency is the major red flag that jumps out with Ho-Sang’s game, however, and is something that really mitigates his upside as a first round pick. The 5-foot-11 forward can be the best player on the ice when he wants to be, but he often takes shifts (or games) off and really leaves a lot to be desired. If he can find some consistency this season there is no doubt that his skill-set alone is up there with anyone in this draft.“
The Scouting Report

The Jamacian-Canadian is an all-compass skater with gliding edges who has an advanced skill-set and great jump. Get defenders on their heel as he darts to the open spaces, to the puck carrier, and to shoot the puck. Still a lightweight in need of functional strength, he nonetheless is a threat most times the puck is on his stick. Shoots the puck extremely well. Has soft hands and handles the puck at top speed, and seems to get the jump on defenders and weave his way laterally around them with relative ease. Has an excellent release and an offensive mentality. Will need to get stronger to handle bigger players defending against him. When he has the space he is a dynamic possession player. Tends to depend more on his own abilities and tend to be a one-man show, refusing to pass the puck to open the ice. Sees himself as the best option on most attacks and the opposition has begun to know that. An exciting highly skilled player and finisher who is exciting to watch.“
Bill Placzek – Draftsite.com

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Classic case of fans and the amateurs loving him but the nhl people not. Looking at how he didn’t dominate the ahl or any other professional league, chock this one up for the NHL people.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This guy has been one of the most talked about, overblown, overrated, non entities since______________.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
He was killing it at the start of the AHL season for the Marlies which had people complaining that he deserved a chance with the Leafs, but he wasn't able to keep it up either because of motivation or durability reasons.
He also looked good at the Olympics and was one of Canada's better forwards until Claude Julien inexplicably put him on the fourth line and later scratched him for the second half of the tourny.

It's definitely frustrating to see Ho-Sang play play well and seemingly mature since he was a teen, but still have the NHL old boys club refuse to give him a chance

Reactions: teal and Voight

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He also looked good at the Olympics and was one of Canada's better forwards until Claude Julien inexplicably put him on the fourth line and later scratched him for the second half of the tourny.

It's definitely frustrating to see Ho-Sang play play well and seemingly mature since he was a teen, but still have the NHL old boys club refuse to give him a chance
were you in the dressing room or attended any of the practices? Coaches do not do thing on a whim. While Julien is old school. He usually down grades guys who either ignore him or do not follow his instructions. A few years ago one of his former teammates used a scene from the untouchables to talk about playing with Ho-Sang

The one thing that has dogged Ho-Sang for years was that he lacks the ability to be a team player at the right time or that things go to his head quickly

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Oh, cmon. That's the narrative that is so annoying. It somehow finds a way to blame everyone but JHS for his failures. The guy is a mediocre minor leaguer...that's it. All the rest is noise, fed by those whose agenda is something other than hockey.

Reactions: Lemontree

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Majority of players don’t make it. 99.99% because they are not good enough

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
What a waste of talent and when I say waste of talent I mean he likely wasted it. For those defending him, if he played well he would be in the NHL. The NHL is almost willing to forgive anything if a guy can play. When a guy with that talent can't make it, it's a problem with them. Likely a lack of work ethic and drive to improve. Rob Schremp probably had the same issues. I won't base my opinion on anything more than logic and common sense, I can't base it on any facts, but it seems the likely scenario.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Rob Schremp

...remarkably apt comparison...:clap:

bravisimo.gif

Reactions: HansonBro

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Ho Sang often looks good, and has a bit of a "wow" factor to his game. He has great puck skills, and very good skating... he moves around the ice very well, and does things with the puck that not many can do... so yes, he "looks" good. It was the same at the Olympics, and with the Marlies, up until the Olympics. The problem being, all of this looking good, and fancy play, doesn't seem to result in the puck in the right net, and often results in it being in your net.

He looks good, but he isn't effective.. sad, but true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad