F Jiří Klima - Shawinigan, QMJHL (2024 Draft)

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Another Czech hockey player could become a candidate for the top 100 in the upcoming draft if he continues in the same vein.

Come on, 15 Czechs in the draft! (for the first time in the last 20 years, and this year there is a real chance: Milota, Marik ... Jiricek, Galvas, Svozil, Badinka, Fibigr ... Jecho, Titlbach, Kral, Klima, Drancak, Sikora, Kos, Hradec).

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I'm not saying he isn't a good or that he won't be able to produce, but the scoring leaders in the QMJHL preseason often disappear from the top when the real season starts.
I think the same holds true for all the CHL leagues just because of the number of young kids vs vets in the lineup, but it’s still impressive. Should be confident going into the regular season.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
For those curious: he's not related to Petr Klima

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Klima has legitimate goalscoring upside. Maybe something finally clicked for him, maybe he's just feasting on inferior competition. Have to imagine he bought himself a top 6 spot + PP time though.

Reactions: Czechboy

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think the same holds true for all the CHL leagues just because of the number of young kids vs vets in the lineup, but it’s still impressive. Should be confident going into the regular season.

0 point -3 in 5 games. Not confident enough I guess. ;)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
0 point -3 in 5 games. Not confident enough I guess. ;)

Yeah. Only minus player on the roster. Shawinigan as a team is actually off to a good start. They won 4 out of 5, only lost to Val d'Or.

Young kid though. Lots of new impressions, has to get used to everything on and off the ice. He'll be fine eventually I guess.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
14 points in last 12 games. 9 points in last 5 (!) games. A sharp improvement in statistics towards the end of the season. Any chance of getting caught in the draft?

Reactions: Goodman68

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
14 points in last 12 games. 9 points in last 5 (!) games. A sharp improvement in statistics towards the end of the season. Any chance of getting caught in the draft?
Not very likely, but it only takes one scout to fight for him.

Teams have taken players with fewer points in a lesser league, but they had size.

If a scout feels his play over those 12 games is more indicative of his projection rather than the previous, then yeah a 7th, but like I said, probably not.

If he stays in the Q, gets over a ppg, makes Czechia's world juniors U-20, then he might be drafted next season

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The upward swing is encouraging.. I imagine titlbach will be similar. So many barriers to overcome when coming to north america and not everyone kills it.

Reactions: Goodman68 and czech

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
After scoring only 4 points in his first 23 games, Klima finished the regular season with 27 points and 17 goals in the remaining 31 games. Nearly a 40 goal pace in the second half.

At the end of the day a pretty solid season, probably got himself back into draft consideration, especially if he can maintain this improvement during the playoffs/U18 WJC.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Needs to 100 percent be on U18 team. His second half was great. Hopefully the scouts see that and don't 'Becher' him.lol Nonetheless, very encouraging player. Not everyone can fly across the ocean and pick it up right away. Our U20 team had tonnes of examples of guys that came over and looked ordinary and then really picked it up in the second half!

Reactions: czech and Goodman68

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Didn't play in two games against Latvia and two games against Slovakia (including today's game). However, he appears on the preliminary roster.
Possibility of participation in the World Championship? He spent the last two months very actively in the QMJHL league and deserves to be included in the team.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didn't play in two games against Latvia and two games against Slovakia (including today's game). However, he appears on the preliminary roster.
Possibility of participation in the World Championship? He spent the last two months very actively in the QMJHL league and deserves to be included in the team.

He's injured. Was unable to finish the season for Shawinigan. I don't know the extent of the injury though so I can't tell if he's gonna make the WJC18 roster or not.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
He's injured. Was unable to finish the season for Shawinigan. I don't know the extent of the injury though so I can't tell if he's gonna make the WJC18 roster or not.
Unfortunately, it was not included in the final roster. 😕

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Unfortunately, it was not included in the final roster. 😕
Yeah, that's unfortunate. He was in good form. Hopefully he was indeed close to playing and the Czech Federation didn't just play mind games by putting him on camp roster. Missing the WJC18 must suck for him but at least that would mean that the injury isn't too serious and he should be able to do regular offseason training.

Reactions: czech and Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad