F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
This seems like the perfect chance for the Islanders to implode next season and make James’ dreams come true so he can play for his favorite team growing up.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
TSN at the beginning of the tournament was doing a feature about the USA's returning players. They said they had three returning players, but didn't even go on to name Hagens. Instead they talked about Eiserman and Hutson. Those guys are good players, but come on, how could you be so stupid to not talk about the guy who clearly drives the bus? Has 6 more points than any player on his own team.

I think the questions about whether he was the 1OA favorite for next year are also starting to become answered. Not that other guys still can't challenge him, but he's doing his part. Would take a great player to knock him off 1OA.
TSN is kinda stupid and probably focusing on Draft Eligible players. In one game, the guy calling the game with Button didn't realize that the NTDP didn't play in the Hlinka tournament and referenced a "re-match" from the most recent Semis, and Button had to correct him.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I don’t really see too many similarities to be honest, my comp has always been Larkin
Larkin is definitely a better comp, though Hagens is more creative and handsier, and will probably never have that powerful of a stride.

I think Hughes is probably the cleanest comp. Hagens is not quite as quick and is a bit stronger on his feet, but he uses his edges, hands, and vision to patrol the offensive zone in a very similar manner.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Larkin is definitely a better comp, though Hagens is more creative and handsier, and will probably never have that powerful of a stride.

I think Hughes is probably the cleanest comp. Hagens is not quite as quick and is a bit stronger on his feet, but he uses his edges, hands, and vision to patrol the offensive zone in a very similar manner.

I had Jack Hughes as well.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I had Jack Hughes as well.

Hughes, slightly more skilled and a better skater (Few if any (ok McDavid) players are as good or better than Hughes in this area) but Hagens is a more cerebal player. He has shown that he can make plays out of virtually nothing and at the same age as Hughes, a far more complete player....better shot, stronger ect....

So yeah, I think Hagens will have a Hughes type impact in the NHL....no idea WTH Button is taking about a Kadri comparison. Hagens will also be far more productive in the NHL than Larkin.

We are talking about a future NHL all star who will, in his prime, consistently be in the top 10 in scoring.....he's that good and has proven, baring totally unforeseen circumstances, he is the number one rated prospect in the 25 draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had another 2+1 today. Has 9+10=19 points in 5 games. He's 3 points away from setting the tournament record and has two games to go.

I know every good center below 6'0 at some point is compared to him, but the best comparison may be Point, although there may not be an exact comparison out there for a current NHL'er. I don't think he has the same skating or puck handling as Hughes. He's very good, but Hughes is a slightly higher level. However, Hagens is also smarter, better defensively, stronger on face-offs, stronger in general, better at avoiding hits, and shoots the puck better at the same age. I think Hagens is a little better of a prospect at the same age, although it's not too much of a difference. I actually think there are some similarities to Catton and Cooley, but I think he's better than both.

Reactions: JotAlan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad