F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
One of the better prospects I've seen in a while, will be fun to watch him develop. He has a Gaudreau/Hughes style to his game. Really good hands, puck is basically a magnet to his stick, great vision and awesome edgework. Hopefully he grows another 3-4 inches but it's not like he's tiny. He'll have a gap year after the NTDP to his draft year. His brother is a Harvard commit, wouldn't be surprised to see James end up there as well

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Can we say he has a talent on the level of Eichel at the same age? Both late birthday.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
He’s not as physically dominant as Eichel was. I see more of a Jack Hughes type
I'm not referring to the style of play, but the level of talent at the same age. But yeah, what I've been hearing is that he resembles Jack Hughes, if he's as talented as he's going to be amazing for ntdp next season.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm not referring to the style of play, but the level of talent at the same age. But yeah, what I've been hearing is that he resembles Jack Hughes, if he's as talented as he's going to be amazing for ntdp next season.
He very well could be the next big thing from America, at least that’s what i’ve heard. The 2025 draft class out of the USA looks like it could be very good and it’s headlined by Hagens at this point.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
London will make a push of course but for them I would think using a 6th rounder has less to do with any deep intrinsic interest in Hagens going to the OHL and more to do with a pitch of “hey we are London and you’re a top prospect, let’s make this work”.

I would imagine at worst Hagens would spend the up-coming season with the US team and leave open London as a possibility for the following year. Tkachuk is of course the blueprint for that, having been a 4th round pick by London, playing with the US juniors and then making the move the next season.

I still think that’s remote at this point. Just off the top of my head, I think most of the recent USNT commits to CHL jumps have either been fringe players like Saganiuk or guys who never committed to the USNT in the first place like Musty - who then get picked high in the OHL draft because their intentions are clear.

Never underestimate the draw power of London of course but just feel that pick location indicates its nothing to get worked up about at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
London will make a push of course but for them I would think using a 6th rounder has less to do with any deep intrinsic interest in Hagens going to the OHL and more to do with a pitch of “hey we are London and you’re a top prospect, let’s make this work”.

I would imagine at worst Hagens would spend the up-coming season with the US team and leave open London as a possibility for the following year. Tkachuk is of course the blueprint for that, having been a 4th round pick by London, playing with the US juniors and then making the move the next season.

I still think that’s remote at this point. Just off the top of my head, I think most of the recent USNT commits to CHL jumps have either been fringe players like Saganiuk or guys who never committed to the USNT in the first place like Musty - who then get picked high in the OHL draft because their intentions are clear.

Never underestimate the draw power of London of course but just feel that pick location indicates its nothing to get worked up about at this point.
Wasn’t he already announced as being on the team?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Wasn’t he already announced as being on the team?
He was, I think it's just speculation around the OHL draft just happening after the team was announced. The thing is, with him being a late birthday, I think there's even less likely of a scenario of him going major junior. Having a gap year after the NTDP usually will make kids want to keep their options open for after it's finished, not locked into the CHL until they're 21

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Yeah, it’s HIGHLY unlikely he’ll play for London. It’s just London grabbing the best US prospect so they have his rights because you never know.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope he’s as good as advertised because the next USA WJC18 team will badly need an elite playmaker. Hopefully it’s like what Hughes did for the 2000 group.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I wonder how many points will be stacked if ntdp joins Hagens and Eiserman on the same line.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Much more height than I was expecting. Thought he might turn out to be an undersized prospect, but looks like no worries once he eventually puts on the weight, and even a few more inches.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Much more height than I was expecting. Thought he might turn out to be an undersized prospect, but looks like no worries once he eventually puts on the weight, and even a few more inches.
And even then, he isn‘t NHL draft eligible for another 3 years. He‘s got so much time to fill out before his draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad