F Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, 20th, WSH)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I hope the USHL gets more aggressive recruiting players that will be one-and-done like Ivan. Who cares if the players leave after a year for the CHL? It's good for the league regardless. Better competition, better media coverage, better recruiting.

Would Miroshnichenko even be considering the USHL had they not landed Svechnikov for a year? I wish they'd aggressively recruit Canadian players that want/need an extra year of development before heading to the CHL.
The USHL is not inferior to any CHL league

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Michkov can't, he's 15. I hope, Loko or SKA will sign him long term... till the draft at least, and then we'll compare, what way is more effective.

Michkov is has the same birthyear so he should be eligible just like Miroshnichenko. All these junior drafts go by birthyear until you reach the NHL draft, then birthmonths come into play for eligibility.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov is has the same birthyear so he should be eligible just like Miroshnichenko. All these junior drafts go by birthyear until you reach the NHL draft, then birthmonths come into play for eligibility.

He can't play in the USHL untill he's 16. Full 16, not by birthyear. Considering, he was born in December, it's half a season missed.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I wonder if the CHL would ever consider dropping the import draft age to 16 to counteract players like Svechnikov and Miroshnichenko choosing the USHL at 16. Not that it really matters because most times these kids will be onto the CHL the following year, but still. It's nice that the USHL has a little competitive niche and can draw players like this.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I wonder if the CHL would ever consider dropping the import draft age to 16 to counteract players like Svechnikov and Miroshnichenko choosing the USHL at 16. Not that it really matters because most times these kids will be onto the CHL the following year, but still. It's nice that the USHL has a little competitive niche and can draw players like this.

Isnt it already so? Tomas Jurco played in QMJHL when he was 16 years old.
And how is it with this Exceptional player status? Did it call only to NA players? Not from Europe? That could be a patch.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
couldn't agree more but I don't know how the USHL front offices in the aggregate feel about being a 'feeder' league for the CHL. as long as it helps your team win and the league gets more competitive/coverage, who cares though

As far as Russians are concerned, most do not really want to be attending college classes and just want to play hockey. They know the USHL ultimately feeds into the NCAA so they jump to the CHL so they can focus on just playing hockey, some Americans like Bracco among others have done this too. Prospects from other European countries are more likely to continue to the NCAA but the big differences in the Russian culture and more difficult adaptation makes them much less likely to do this.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He can't play in the USHL untill he's 16. Full 16, not by birthyear. Concidering, he was born in December, it's half a season missed.

I see didn't know this, would you say Miroshnichenko is in a different class than a player like Nikita Korostelev at the same stage? Korostelev was also highly touted sniper at a young age but ended up a bust in North America.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I see didn't know this, would you say Miroshnichenko is in a different class than a player like Nikita Korostelev at the same stage? Korostelev was also highly touted sniper at a young age but ended up a bust in North America.

I'd say, Miroshnichenko is closer to Andrei Svechnikov by his potential. At least, it's what I think about him. Of course, I can be wrong.

Svechnikov played for the same team in the same league at the same age, it's going to be a good chance to compare them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I'd say, Miroshnichenko is closer to Andrei Svechnikov by his potential. At least, it's what I think about him. Of course, I can be wrong.

Svechnikov played for the same team in the same league at the same age, it's going to be a good chance to compare them.

For now I have them as following:

Michkov
Svech
Miro

Who would've thought couple years ago that we will have two prospects potentially better than Svech...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, a really smart move by the kid... or his parents. It looks like Russian junior leagues will start playing pretty soon, and nobody knows, when the season opens for USHL...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Moving to NA, of course.

True, I missed the sarcasm when I first read it and thought he changed his decision and was staying in Russia, which would be the smarter decision. When are Russian junior leagues supposed to begin?

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Every year the USHL has late birth years play in the USHL. Look at the NTDP

Hughes would be an example. Game Center

He played league games prior to being 16. Guessing it only has to do with playing in your USHL Phase I birth year.

I think Anthony DeAngelo and Adam Erne were the last players to play in the league prior to their USHL Phase I birth year

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
True, I missed the sarcasm when I first read it and thought he changed his decision and was staying in Russia, which would be the smarter decision. When are Russian junior leagues supposed to begin?

As far as I understand, the KHL season starts at the begining of September. I think, all other leagues will start to play about that time as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As far as I understand, the KHL season starts at the begining of September. I think, all other leagues will start to play about that time as well.

I agree with you about where he’d develop his game better, but I’m not sure I actually agree that Russia is going to re-start youth hockey any earlier than North America.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
For people that have watched him a lot, what are his main strengths and weaknesses?

65-70 shot, 60+ puck skills, 65 size/skating combo, 55 IQ and playmaking. At least a top 10 level talent, maybe top 5 in what’s looking like a very talented top of the draft for 2022. We’ll see how he adjusts to NA. A lot have struggled with his type of profile, but some like Svechnikov and Radulov were so talented that they didn’t struggle. I would say he’s right on the border of if he’s too good to be effected. He reminds me stylistically of Kovalchuk. I don’t think he’ll be as good, but I’m not sure he’ll be that much worse.

Reactions: wetcoast

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
65-70 shot, 60+ puck skills, 65 size/skating combo, 55 IQ and playmaking. At least a top 10 level talent, maybe top 5 in what’s looking like a very talented top of the draft for 2022. We’ll see how he adjusts to NA. A lot have struggled with his type of profile, but some like Svechnikov and Radulov were so talented that they didn’t struggle. I would say he’s right on the border of if he’s too good to be effected. He reminds me stylistically of Kovalchuk. I don’t think he’ll be as good, but I’m not sure he’ll be that much worse.

I don't think Svechnikov and Radulov are similar type of player. Miroshnichenko is more of a shoot first sniper type like an Ovi, Svech and Radulov might not have quite as good of shots but their games are more well rounded. Doesn't change the fact that Miroshnichenko is a high risk high reward type of prospect though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think Svechnikov and Radulov are similar type of player. Miroshnichenko is more of a shoot first sniper type like an Ovi, Svech and Radulov might not have quite as good of shots but their games are more well rounded. Doesn't change the fact that Miroshnichenko is a high risk high reward type of prospect though.

I didn't say they are similar types of players. I said Svechnikov and Radulov were similar in that they were too talented to fail in transitioning to NA before the majority of the successful players have. Kucherov could be considered another, but he played so few games in NA before reaching the NHL that I wouldn't even count him. Mirosnichenko might be similar in that respect to these players. We don't know yet. He could also bust. There's been a very high bust rate of highly touted Russian forwards coming to NA too early. I think the hope for the Russian fans and any of us that are fans of the game and want to see talented players succeed is that he's too good to fail in what is a pathway that usually leads to failure.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
For now I have them as following:

Michkov
Svech
Miro

Who would've thought couple years ago that we will have two prospects potentially better than Svech...
I saw them all three playing with Russia U 16... And if I can agree with you that it seems that Michkov seems to have a similar impact, even if they are two completely different players. But Miro does not belong in that group, he is clearly inferior. When you see Svech playing, you see the talent.... He is dangerous..in almost everything he does in the offensive zone... But that's just an opinion. I can be wrong of course and I wish Miro all the best in the US

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4