F Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, 20th, WSH)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wish the kid the best and hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Do the Coyotes even employ a Russian based scout at this point? Teams that don't have scouts located in Russia tend to be less likely to draft Russians. And, I'd think that would be even more magnified right now with travel to Russia severely restricted (and I don't think any NHL team is going to force scouts to go there) and no marquee tournaments to watch them.
It shouldn’t matter. He’s not playing. They’ve scouted him as much as they’re going to scout him. And they definitely trusted their regional scout based in Russia when they used a 2nd rounder on Fedotov last draft.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Damn, all the best to Miro. Kid seems like a fighter, I believe in him and hope he makes a full recovery.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
If I were a team that could afford to make a risky pick I would easily take him. Imagine if Ottawa at the 4th overall picks one of say Jiricek/Nemec and a 1st in the 15-20 pick got Yurov and picked up Miroshnichenko.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Miroshnichenko-Stutzle-Yurov

Chabot-Jiricek/Nemec
Sanderson-Zub

I think he will push pass this and be a great player.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I see he has been dropping on some draft lists, which is a shame but I guess understandable (and he has bigger things to worry about)

Has there been any updates about him? I saw Amirov has started skating and stickhandling by himself which is great to see, hoping for good news from Miroshnichenko's camp!

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I expect some team to swing to the fences potentially a team with multiple firsts/seconds. Probably goes high/mid second for obvious reasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not just his health. World events will cause Russian players to fall in this draft, unless there is a legit peace agreement before then.

Reactions: teddygmr

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
It's not just his health. World events will cause Russian players to fall in this draft, unless there is a legit peace agreement before then.

I know that this seems likely just based on the metaphoric global temperature but I can't understand how this can be given news like Kuzmenko being targeted by 20 NHL teams. I suppose whether Miroschnichenko comes (or is allowed to?) is a different story.

I'm trying to be conscious of my potential cognitive bias. Russian players have always been picked lower only because of the fact that they are Russian, especially outside of the first round. Can they drop even further? Is it possible that some Russian players will want to get the hell out of dodge and come to NA rather than stay in Russia? It's historically been the case for those players skilled enough to play here who defected from the Soviet Union, save for some Russian league lifers like Mozyakin.

I guess the answer to my question is probably yes, they can fall, no matter how short-sighted I think that thinking is. Risk-seeking teams are going to get some steals.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I know that this seems likely just based on the metaphoric global temperature but I can't understand how this can be given news like Kuzmenko being targeted by 20 NHL teams. I suppose whether Miroschnichenko comes (or is allowed to?) is a different story.

I'm trying to be conscious of my potential cognitive bias. Russian players have always been picked lower only because of the fact that they are Russian, especially outside of the first round. Can they drop even further? Is it possible that some Russian players will want to get the hell out of dodge and come to NA rather than stay in Russia? It's historically been the case for those players skilled enough to play here who defected from the Soviet Union, save for some Russian league lifers like Mozyakin.

I guess the answer to my question is probably yes, they can fall, no matter how short-sighted I think that thinking is. Risk-seeking teams are going to get some steals.
Russian players have gone lower in the draft because of the possibiity they might not cone to the NHL. Signing a Russian FA is less of a risk than spending draft picks or other assets on them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russian players have gone lower in the draft because of the possibiity they might not cone to the NHL. Signing a Russian FA is less of a risk than spending draft picks or other assets on them.
Exactly- in the past. W/o getting into politics, it's blindingly obvious that there is something else really big going on this year that will make any dealings between Russia and the West more difficult than previously.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think we can trust that the players will still want to play in the NHL, if anything the guaranteed U.S. dollars look better than ever. But there's more unknowns this year. We don't know if there might be problems getting visas for Russian nationals to work in the U.S., and we don't know if the Russian sports leadership will use this situation to put the screws to players to get them to stay. They would love it if their top talent wasn't allowed to play in the NHL.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I see he has been dropping on some draft lists, which is a shame but I guess understandable (and he has bigger things to worry about)

Has there been any updates about him? I saw Amirov has started skating and stickhandling by himself which is great to see, hoping for good news from Miroshnichenko's camp!

Not a huge update, but Chris Peters said on his most recent podcast (50 minute mark) that he's been attending games at the u18s and meeting with teams there.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
That's great to hear. Im still of the belief that if a team has multiple firsts or can afford to make a risky pick that they'd be most suited. I'd love him on the sens tbh.

Miroshnichenko-Stutzle-Yurov/Nazar/Lekkerimäki

Has the makings of an interesting lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad