F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
We'll see. It's questionable roster construction IMO. Bedard, Nazar, Demidov in a future top six won't win many playoff games. I'm reminded of how size and grit dominates the playoffs every year at this time.
This is not true in the slightest. Tampa Bay just recently won back to back cups, their two best players in Kucherov and Point not above 6 feet. Rest of the top 6 in Stamkos, Killorn, Palat and Cirelli, not one of them above 6’1. Coleman and Gourde also below 6 feet.

They had a big strong defense which the Hawks are on track for, but they did not have a big forward group, they simply outworked and out talented everyone. So if Demidov gets close to Kucherov, I’m not the slightest bit worried about having him, Bedard and Nazar in top 6 moving forward.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This is not true in the slightest. Tampa Bay just recently won back to back cups, their two best players in Kucherov and Point not above 6 feet. Rest of the top 6 in Stamkos, Killorn, Palat and Cirelli, not one of them above 6’1. Coleman and Gourde also below 6 feet.

They had a big strong defense which the Hawks are on track for, but they did not have a big forward group, they simply outworked and out talented everyone. So if Demidov gets close to Kucherov, I’m not the slightest bit worried about having him, Bedard and Nazar in top 6 moving forward.

Kane succeeded in much tougher for smaller players era, and he wasn't a giant...

Reactions: HawksDub89

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
It was essentially his rookie year on a terrible team. Bedard wasn't exactly a great "center" last year, that's why he was moved to the wing. Doesn't mean he can't be great down the road.
Not to get too off topic here but Bedard played wing for like five games and finished the year at C. He struggled in the defensive zone but his shortcomings were magnified on a team that never had possession and struggled to defend as a whole; with the puck he was an excellent center and that's where he belongs long-term. Reichel was a complete non-factor during the C experiment and they would be really dumb to repeat it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you're Chicago, do you look at next year's draft and go, OK if we are picking top 5 again which is likely the case.. we should be able to get one of Hagens, Frondell, Ryabkin, Martone, McQueen, Misa or Spence.

We may not get a chance to draft a Levshunov, depending on what you think of Hensler which didn't particularly pop this year the way Levshunov did in his D-1.

Reactions: Blueston

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We'll see. It's questionable roster construction IMO. Bedard, Nazar, Demidov in a future top six won't win many playoff games. I'm reminded of how size and grit dominates the playoffs every year at this time.
Size and grit does matter but supburb skill even moreso and Bedard and Demidov have it in spades

Nazar not as much but that's still only 3 of the top 6 and if the 12 forward spots

If guys like Demidov and Catton drops because of size concerns other teams are going to benefit greatly.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
If you're Chicago, do you look at next year's draft and go, OK if we are picking top 5 again which is likely the case.. we should be able to get one of Hagens, Frondell, Ryabkin, Martone, McQueen, Misa or Spence.

We may not get a chance to draft a Levshunov, depending on what you think of Hensler which didn't particularly pop this year the way Levshunov did in his D-1.

No. You look at it from the perspective of Demidov is the best player available and you take him regardless of next years draft.

And fwiw I really like Hetheway and Hensler. Hensler has top pair upside.

If they determine Levshunov is the best player I’d assume the same mindset.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
For me, I just watched a lot of the highlights of Leveshnov and he’s not bad but it just doesn’t really blow you away. They talk about a big shot, but I didn’t necessarily see it. I know big ten is better than MHL.

Reactions: DemiGod

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

We take Demidov and worry about that issue at a later date. Worst case scenario is we make some trades with all the assets we have to address a need on defense. But right now, it's easily BPA for us.

Sorry, but I don't see Demidov dropping to 5th overall.

Reactions: HawksDub89

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022

Sorry friend, but Ivan is not going to Montreal

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
We take Demidov and worry about that issue at a later date. Worst case scenario is we make some trades with all the assets we have to address a need on defense. But right now, it's easily BPA for us.

Sorry, but I don't see Demidov dropping to 5th overall.

Montreal fans have been trying to speak Demidov to Montreal into existence since lottery night.

Even if the hawks don’t take him I doubt he makes it to 5.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Montreal fans have been trying to speak Demidov to Montreal into existence since lottery night.

Yep. They lost out on Michkov, whether because he didn't want to play there or management didn't want him, and ever since, they've held out hope for Demidov.

But now Demidov is looking like a sure thing to go before their pick, and they are holding onto the glimmer of hope that the draft will fall perfectly into place for them. It won't. If Hawks don't pick him, Ducks will. And in the insane scenario that they both pass on him, Columbus won't.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

You never look at the next years draft to dictate what you do this year, never. You never know how your team will perform the following season and a lot of those guys could stagnate. I remember after the Matthews draft, Liljegren and Nolan Patrick were talked about non-stop, but neither had a promising draft year season. I'm hopeful the Hawks pick the best player now, then the best player next year when the time comes.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I think if Chicago doesn't take him there is a pretty good chance he falls to 5. Anaheim is very unlikely to take him and Columbus may go D or Lindstrom. Size still matters to most teams.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You don’t build your roster at the draft table. There’s the saying “built through the draft”, but that’s not what it means. You try to take the best player you can regardless of the team’s current needs, then you sort everything out and worry about roster building after that via trades, signings, etc.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You don’t build your roster at the draft table. There’s the saying “built through the draft”, but that’s not what it means. You try to take the best player you can regardless of the team’s current needs, then you sort everything out and worry about roster building after that via trades, signings, etc.
Except that BPA in this draft is in the eye of the beholder. You know that. Anaheim loves big D and Levshunov or Silayev will be sitting there waiting for them at 3OA if the Hawks pass on Demidov. Columbus could very well opt for Silayev (if Anaheim takes Levshunov) or the big C Lindstrom. I agree that Demidov is the 2nd most talented player in the draft but that doesn't mean he'll go before the other players who are available in the top 5. Potential 1C's with size are the hardest players to draft and huge talented D are the next hardest to draft. It's going to be an interesting draft after Celebrini gets taken. I'm still not convinced that Demidov is going 2OA.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Except that BPA in this draft is in the eye of the beholder. You know that. Anaheim loves big D and Levshunov or Silayev will be sitting there waiting for them at 3OA if the Hawks pass on Demidov. Columbus could very well opt for Silayev (if Anaheim takes Levshunov) or the big C Lindstrom. I agree that Demidov is the 2nd most talented player in the draft but that doesn't mean he'll go before the other players who are available in the top 5. Potential 1C's with size are the hardest players to draft and huge talented D are the next hardest to draft. It's going to be an interesting draft after Celebrini gets taken. I'm still not convinced that Demidov is going 2OA.
The point is that if CHI views Demidov as BPA at 2, it isn’t “poor roster construction” to take him. Like I said, you don’t build your roster at the draft table.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The point is that if CHI views Demidov as BPA at 2, it isn’t “poor roster construction” to take him. Like I said, you don’t build your roster at the draft table.
We can agree to disagree. The picks at the top of the draft will impact each franchise for the next decade. They'll each be adding a key piece to the future puzzle. If that is roster building I don't know what is.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We can agree to disagree. The picks at the top of the draft will impact each franchise for the next decade. They'll each be adding a key piece to the future puzzle. If that is roster building I don't know what is.
You are still failing to understand the point. If ANA had won the lottery, do they pass on Celebrini because they already have McTavish, Carlsson, Zegras, Lundstrom, Gaucher, etc at C? They are already absolutely stocked at C. Would you be arguing it’s “poor roster construction” for them to take Celebrini in that scenario? No you wouldn’t.

Again, if CHI feel Demidov is BPA at 2, it isn’t “poor roster construction” to take him, regardless of what else is currently going on with their roster.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I think if Chicago doesn't take him there is a pretty good chance he falls to 5. Anaheim is very unlikely to take him and Columbus may go D or Lindstrom. Size still matters to most teams.

If the Hawks pass on him, by all means, I hope he does fall to 5. I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You are still failing to understand the point. If ANA had won the lottery, do they pass on Celebrini because they already have McTavish, Carlsson, Zegras, Lundstrom, Gaucher, etc at C? They are already absolutely stocked at C. Would you be arguing it’s “poor roster construction” for them to take Celebrini in that scenario? No you wouldn’t.

Again, if CHI feel Demidov is BPA at 2, it isn’t “poor roster construction” to take him, regardless of what else is currently going on with their roster.
First, we won't know the outcome of each pick for 3-5 years. In the meantime, we are all free to speculate on what "poor roster construction" is. Chicago will have to live with their choice and others are free to applaud or criticize it.

Second, this latest discussion started with speculating if Demidov could drop to 5OA if not taken at 2OA. I said it was very possible. It's fine if you disagree. Anaheim won't take him so it's up to Columbus at that point. If Columbus passed he'll be there for Montreal at 5OA. Pretty simple.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
First, we won't know the outcome of each pick for 3-5 years. In the meantime, we are all free to speculate on what "poor roster construction" is. Chicago will have to live with their choice and others are free to applaud or criticize it.

Second, this latest discussion started with speculating if Demidov could drop to 5OA if not taken at 2OA. I said it was very possible. It's fine if you disagree. Anaheim won't take him so it's up to Columbus at that point. If Columbus passed he'll be there for Montreal at 5OA. Pretty simple.
I wouldn't be so sure that Anaheim would pass on him if he's there at 3. He's not what they need, but they (like every team) should go BPA. If they have too much high end talent in their forward group, they can always make a trade (like moving Zegras for example) to help on D.

Any GM picking for best fit in the top 5/10 deserves to get shit-canned. It always needs to be Best Player Available.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure that Anaheim would pass on him if he's there at 3. He's not what they need, but they (like every team) should go BPA. If they have too much high end talent in their forward group, they can always make a trade (like moving Zegras for example) to help on D.

Any GM picking for best fit in the top 5/10 deserves to get shit-canned. It always needs to be Best Player Available.
Verbeek has drafted only one player in two drafts under 6'2" and that was a 3rd rounder who is 6'. He has taken guys like Gaucher and Myatovic with high picks when there were far more talented players available. He wants a big fast team. I would actually be open to him taking Demidov but it just isn't going to happen. And yes, I'm a Ducks fan. Watching the playoffs, I can appreciate what he is trying to build. Small teams have no chance in the playoffs. I can't say 100% that he won't take Demidov but I think the chances are vanishingly small. It will almost certainly be either Levshunov or Silayev.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Verbeek has drafted only one player in two drafts under 6'2" and that was a 3rd rounder who is 6'. He has taken guys like Gaucher and Myatovic with high picks when there were far more talented players available. He wants a big fast team. I would actually be open to him taking Demidov but it just isn't going to happen. And yes, I'm a Ducks fan. Watching the playoffs, I can appreciate what he is trying to build. Small teams have no chance in the playoffs. I can't say 100% that he won't take Demidov but I think the chances are vanishingly small. It will almost certainly be either Levshunov or Silayev.
Cup teams can afford to have smaller players on their roster, it's not the end of the world if they ice some guys under 6ft.

Tampa won with Kucherov and Point. Colorado won with Makar. Pittsburgh won with Crosby and Guentzel. Hawks won with Kane. And I'm just listing off the more significant players under 6ft on those teams, all of those teams generally iced at least a few smaller guys.

If you are drafting size, you are passing up a lot of talent. I don't know Verbeek's drafting method as well as Ducks fans, but I do know he is/would be an idiot to pass up going BPA just because he has a size fetish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad