Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I’m not too familiar with the champions league. Is it similar to how the soccer leagues do it? Top teams from various leagues?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I’m not too familiar with the champions league. Is it similar to how the soccer leagues do it? Top teams from various leagues?

From watching Kasimir Kaskisuo's YT channel, it is a step down from SHL play. At least comparing who Leksands played vs their first SHL game vs Malmo.

Reactions: joshjull

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

It’s the Champions from each European league, and may or may not include the KHL. I believe it also has the runner up from each league. You can usually get info on it in the “International Tournaments” section.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

While I always like looking at numbers there seems to be a lot of stuff popping up without context lately, mostly sourced from instat.

Like does the average person know what a "good" number of per game entries and exits are? I don't.

Not a critique of you posting it here, because I do think its cool that new info is becoming available, but its just a trend I've seen on hockey twitter lately.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While I always like looking at numbers there seems to be a lot of stuff popping up without context lately, mostly sourced from instat.

Like does the average person know what a "good" number of per game entries and exits are? I don't.

Not a critique of you posting it here, because I do think its cool that new info is becoming available, but its just a trend I've seen on hockey twitter lately.

Raw zone exit & entry numbers don't add a ton of value, IMO. It is like raw FO win numbers don't tell anywhere near the whole story.

If those numbers are normalized for ice time and you have the exit and entry success % to go with it, it becomes more valuable. Especially when you compare to linemates.

The more context you can put around numbers, the better.

Reactions: jc17

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Raw transition numbers are hard to use because there's no information about what role the player is expected to play. If you have transition as % it's a little better. I suspect there's a big difference in entry/exit on euro ice compared to NHL rinks.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Raw zone exit & entry numbers don't add a ton of value, IMO. It is like raw FO win numbers don't tell anywhere near the whole story.

If those numbers are normalized for ice time and you have the exit and entry success % to go with it, it becomes more valuable. Especially when you compare to linemates.

The more context you can put around numbers, the better.
Right. Then you have to backtest things to see if there is relevance to the metric.

Are there any articles on the predictive nature of zone entries/exits among individuals?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Hockey stats without context is something happening lately? That’s been the case for years.

Specific to this tweet/my post and context. I was trying to get a handle on what the Champions league is. I should have just looked it up myself ( I did today) to get an understanding of how tough or easy those games would be for a Swedish team.

Turns out its hard to say without knowing what teams they played.

There are 32 total teams; 5 from SHL/5 Swiss league/4 Finish Liiga/4 DEL/ 3 Czech league/ 3 from ICE hockey league/2 from Denmark and 1 each from leagues in Britain, France, Poland, Ukraine, Norway and Slovakia.

Its quite a range of competition. Knowing who Rosen played against would be helpful to start giving context to his play. If it was against some of the weaker teams and he had 1 assist. That would be disappointing. We know for example Konecny and his Czech team played against a Finnish team a little bit ago. I think that makes his two goal game impressive.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Turns out its hard to say without knowing what teams they played.

Beyond the considerations you listed, I'm not sure teams treat champions league games with equal seriousness. They seem to treat domestic competition as their priority.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Does that mean he was a healthy scratch? Or sat on the bench all game?

We don't have "healthy scratches" here. I can't even find a roster limit. I know one team tried to have a 30 player roster and rotate which 21 players who got to play while the rest stayed home but the it ended up with a mutiny.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We don't have "healthy scratches" here. I can't even find a roster limit. I know one team tried to have a 30 player roster and rotate which 21 players who got to play while the rest stayed home but the it ended up with a mutiny.
Was that team HMS Bounty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad