F Grigori Kuzmin - SKA-Neva, VHL (2021, undrafted)

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Didn't get to see it but 3 point game for him yesterday. Final year of eligibility, someone has to take him, right!? At least a 7th round gamble come on! The poor kid has been playing pro hockey for 3 years since he was a teenager. And let's be honest, look at how mismanaged SKA was in the beginning of the season. Really poor start, they wouldn't even play Michkov. They always have deep teams. I think if Grigori was in a different organization he'd probably have some KHL games under his belt by now

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Didn't get to see it but 3 point game for him yesterday. Final year of eligibility, someone has to take him, right!? At least a 7th round gamble come on! The poor kid has been playing pro hockey for 3 years since he was a teenager. And let's be honest, look at how mismanaged SKA was in the beginning of the season. Really poor start, they wouldn't even play Michkov. They always have deep teams. I think if Grigori was in a different organization he'd probably have some KHL games under his belt by now

Yeah, he has some talent, not sure his talent is big enough for NHL, though. He kinda reminds me Barabanov, and Barabanov is an ok NHLer.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not many 20-year-olds who are still in the VHL get drafted. Is there a reason he has yet to crack a KHL lineup (even with one of the lower clubs)?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not many 20-year-olds who are still in the VHL get drafted. Is there a reason he has yet to crack a KHL lineup (even with one of the lower clubs)?

Well, he's 12+27 after 45 games. The next best scorer on the team is 8+20 after 46 games.

I'd say he should be tried in the KHL at the very least, but I doubt SKA cares. So he will probably play another season in Russia and then moves to NA. He can play in AHL for sure.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Like I said above, SKA always has deep teams. They chose not to play Michkov last year and instead loaned him to Sochi. His production rate with that squad would've been good for top 30th in the entire league. More controversy, they again chose not to play him this year and loaned him back to Sochi. Again, his scoring rate this season places him in the top 25 in the league. Detroit's overage 2nd rounder, Buchelnikov is in Kuzmin's draft year too. SKA also owns his rights, he was playing in the VHL as well this season. They have him loaned out now to Admiral, he's scoring at a rate of half a point a game. They traded away Minnesota's 2nd rounder, Marat Khusnutdinov, after previously having a great season. Dmitri Nikolayev was their starter last year, young kid. Good prior season, they didn't play him and traded him away this year. Ilya Ivantsov is another promising overager to watch for this draft, SKA used to own his rights also. He was in the VHL as a teenager. They never played him and winded up loaning him out to Severstal, and eventually traded him there. I know I'm dragging this out here, but I'm just trying to make the point that it can be tricky for players to get ice time for SKA. So as to your question, I'm not really sure why they haven't loaned him out to other KHL teams. I don't think it's a matter of talent it's really just in SKA's hands. Maybe they'd prefer to just keep him within their system.

As to your first point, you're definitely right it is rare. Although they do take some chances on overage KHL and MHL players. That being said Russia generally seems to get underscouted often, these sorts of players should be on their radar. The thing is there's a number of current Russian NHL players right now where if you look at their career trajectory, at 20 they were still splitting time between the MHL, VHL and/or the KHL. So as long as the talent is there I don't consider it a strike against a player if they're still in the VHL or even the MHL.

Sorry, I know this is a long post. But between covid and the political stuff I would not be surprised if we see more and more Russian players slipping through the cracks of the draft and come over as FAs. Last year there was a strong group of overagers that aged out, look at where they're at now. Before getting hurt Vasili Atanasov has consistently been top 10 in scoring this year. The kid is only 21, if he can maintain that play there will be a bidding war to bring him over. Teams will be kicking themselves. Danil Aimurzin, is Severstals top center this year. Top 30 in points, he was splitting time in the VHL last season. Alex Suvorov unfortunately has been hurt this year. These sorts of players are well, well worth a late round gamble

Reactions: Guttersniped

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Like I said above, SKA always has deep teams. They chose not to play Michkov last year and instead loaned him to Sochi. His production rate with that squad would've been good for top 30th in the entire league. More controversy, they again chose not to play him this year and loaned him back to Sochi. Again, his scoring rate this season places him in the top 25 in the league. Detroit's overage 2nd rounder, Buchelnikov is in Kuzmin's draft year too. SKA also owns his rights, he was playing in the VHL as well this season. They have him loaned out now to Admiral, he's scoring at a rate of half a point a game. They traded away Minnesota's 2nd rounder, Marat Khusnutdinov, after previously having a great season. Dmitri Nikolayev was their starter last year, young kid. Good prior season, they didn't play him and traded him away this year. Ilya Ivantsov is another promising overager to watch for this draft, SKA used to own his rights also. He was in the VHL as a teenager. They never played him and winded up loaning him out to Severstal, and eventually traded him there. I know I'm dragging this out here, but I'm just trying to make the point that it can be tricky for players to get ice time for SKA. So as to your question, I'm not really sure why they haven't loaned him out to other KHL teams. I don't think it's a matter of talent it's really just in SKA's hands. Maybe they'd prefer to just keep him within their system.

As to your first point, you're definitely right it is rare. Although they do take some chances on overage KHL and MHL players. That being said Russia generally seems to get underscouted often, these sorts of players should be on their radar. The thing is there's a number of current Russian NHL players right now where if you look at their career trajectory, at 20 they were still splitting time between the MHL, VHL and/or the KHL. So as long as the talent is there I don't consider it a strike against a player if they're still in the VHL or even the MHL.

Sorry, I know this is a long post. But between covid and the political stuff I would not be surprised if we see more and more Russian players slipping through the cracks of the draft and come over as FAs. Last year there was a strong group of overagers that aged out, look at where they're at now. Before getting hurt Vasili Atanasov has consistently been top 10 in scoring this year. The kid is only 21, if he can maintain that play there will be a bidding war to bring him over. Teams will be kicking themselves. Danil Aimurzin, is Severstals top center this year. Top 30 in points, he was splitting time in the VHL last season. Alex Suvorov unfortunately has been hurt this year. These sorts of players are well, well worth a late round gamble
Appreciate the post. Don't know nearly as much about the players in Russia as I'd like (or should know).

Reactions: B17 Apricots

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Fantastic assist just now.

Wont get an assist for it but provided the screen on the goalie for the first goal also.

Another assist, comes on the PP this time. Kid is super talented

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad