F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Whether McKenna is a lock for first reminds me of Spezza back in the day. Viewed as a prodigy of sorts, had a great OHL season as a 15 year old, made Canada's WJC team as a 16year old, seemed like a lock to go #1 for several years. Ended up as the clearcut number 2 by the time he was drafted, and rightly so.
Pretty apt comparison, but I just don't see anybody usurping this guy for 1OA.

Reactions: ORRFForever

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Well, McKenna started this season as an 15 year old, also just few days shy of being 2027 draft pick :)
but yeah, i guess i forgot that he was 15 then, he did turn 16 in the same year though :)

yes, i agree
That does not matter whatsoever and Bedard did not turn 16 during the season. McKenna would've needed to put up 14 points in 7 games last season at the U-18 for it to be comparable.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bedard was playing 2nd line/PP2 to start at the 2021 U18. Not sure if he moved up over the course of his 5 point game against Czechia.

Guenther
Clarke
Othmann
Wright
Zhilkin

out there on the first powerplay

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
More dynamic skillset than Hagens but would probably go behind him if they were the same age because he plays wing and is not as good 200ft as Hagens

That's how I think, but Mckenna has a whole year of more development to do. I believe Mckenna will be a substantially better scorer in the NHL, but Hagens closes the gap with the overall player he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad