F Frank Vatrano (2012 undrafted; 2015 signed, BOS)

IkeaMonkey*

He's more Tyler Biggs than any of his current teammates. He's absolutely massive for his height and built like a moose. The thing is, he also skates really well. Don't want to comment too much though to avoid bias...

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
He's more Tyler Biggs than any of his current teammates. He's absolutely massive for his height and built like a moose. The thing is, he also skates really well. Don't want to comment too much though to avoid bias...

This is going to be a situation in which we disagree and I was just talking about this player when I was in Maine over the weekend visting with an old friend.

Had you said that very few have his hands and that he's VERY tough to move off of the puck and left it at that then we'd be in 100% agreement.

His skating is nowhere near what it should be for an elite prospect in his draft year.

I swear that in a recent game the play had transitioned so quickly on him that he skated 20 feet the wrong way against the play before he was able to stop and move back the other way and get back into the play. To be honest, it was the same thing last year at U-17. An absolute bull of a scoring machine at youth and JR. B. Just doesn't have the skating chops at this level.

He came into last season on to U-17 very highly ranked as a prospect as he should have been. He began to fall as scouts saw a very talented scorer who just did not skate very well at the level. There's a "story" that I picked up in Maine over the weekend that BC has bumped him to 2013 but it may have as much to do with scholarship availabilty as anything else.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is going to be a situation in which we disagree and I was just talking about this player when I was in Maine over the weekend visting with an old friend.

Had you said that very few have his hands and that he's VERY tough to move off of the puck and left it at that then we'd be in 100% agreement.

His skating is nowhere near what it should be for an elite prospect in his draft year.

I swear that in a recent game the play had transitioned so quickly on him that he skated 20 feet the wrong way against the play before he was able to stop and move back the other way and get back into the play. To be honest, it was the same thing last year at U-17. An absolute bull of a scoring machine at youth and JR. B. Just doesn't have the skating chops at this level.

He came into last season on to U-17 very highly ranked as a prospect as he should have been. He began to fall as scouts saw a very talented scorer who just did not skate very well at the level. There's a "story" that I picked up in Maine over the weekend that BC has bumped him to 2013 but it may have as much to do with scholarship availabilty as anything else.

I am going to agree and disagree with you here.

While I don't think his skating is top notch like DynamoAO mentioned, I do think he as decent overall speed and good first steps to his skating. Strong balance and very bulky; extremely hard to push over.

My gripe with Vatrano is his offensive game. While he's strong, hits hard, plays with energy, and is good on the forecheck, he just didn't display much hands or creativity offensively. I don't see any potential in him producing offensively in the NHL, but he might make a solid bottom six player

IkeaMonkey*

Well, I agree on his edges. He doesn't turn/stop as well as hoped, but in my opinion, his straight line speed, for a kid who is 5'11" 220 lbs is pretty darn good. I also don't think he's an "elite" prospect. I mean, I've got him as a mid-rounder. To me, he is what he is. A bulky, strong kid who has some rough spots. He shoots hard, he's tough to knock off the puck, but yea, there are some weaknesses.

Any idea where he's headed next season, if he is indeed bumped to 2013? I think he'd do very well in Dubuque/Omaha.

IkeaMonkey*

While I don't think his skating is top notch like DynamoAO mentioned, I do think he as decent overall speed and good first steps to his skating. Strong balance and very bulky; extremely hard to push over.

My gripe with Vatrano is his offensive game. While he's strong, hits hard, plays with energy, and is good on the forecheck, he just didn't display much hands or creativity offensively. I don't see any potential in him producing offensively in the NHL, but he might make a solid bottom six player

This is why I called him a "good" skater. Having those attributes with that mass is pretty rare.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Well, I agree on his edges. He doesn't turn/stop as well as hoped, but in my opinion, his straight line speed, for a kid who is 5'11" 220 lbs is pretty darn good. I also don't think he's an "elite" prospect. I mean, I've got him as a mid-rounder. To me, he is what he is. A bulky, strong kid who has some rough spots. He shoots hard, he's tough to knock off the puck, but yea, there are some weaknesses.

Any idea where he's headed next season, if he is indeed bumped to 2013? I think he'd do very well in Dubuque/Omaha.

He'd be a fit on any USHL roster and probably be a 20-30* goal scorer.

And I apologize if I misread your post.

I've heard that he's a great Locker Room guy - always cracking wise keeping everyone loose

*edited was off a number on my keyboard...

Last edited:

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

He has three goals in the two games I've seen him play v USHL teams this year but if I am not mistaken, the 2 goal game cured a very long goal drought for him. Scoring consistency, never a problem for him prior, has been a problem at this next level.

I've watched this player through 5 seasons now and he's a classic case of what can happen from hitting puberty early. A lot of knowledgable people had this kid as a first rounder when he was 15.

IkeaMonkey*

Scoring consistency, never a problem for him prior, has been a problem at this next level.

He's scoring at a better clip in USHL games than most of the U18 forwards...

Vatrano - 11 pts in 16 games
Koules - 10 pts in 19 games
Kerdiles - 7 points in 13 games
Matteau - 6 points in 11 games
Lane - 7 points in 16 games

He's also got the best +/- of any Team USA player 17s and 18s, in USHL play...

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
He's scoring at a better clip in USHL games than most of the U18 forwards...

Vatrano - 11 pts in 16 games
Koules - 10 pts in 19 games
Kerdiles - 7 points in 13 games
Matteau - 6 points in 11 games
Lane - 7 points in 16 games

He's also got the best +/- of any Team USA player 17s and 18s, in USHL play...

Well, my point all along has been that more than 50% of the U-17 team from last year is an underwhelming lot anyway.

There are better 94's in the U and EJ who were better 2 years ago as well.

I'm not saying that to disparage Frankie V. Based upon his peers at the time, he deserved the spot.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
he's a good kid, He has been playing on the summer team i Play on with his older brother's since he was 15. The league is mostly D1 and former D1 players, I was suprised how good he was at 15, hope the kid continues to develop and makes it to the show.

IkeaMonkey*

he's a good kid, He has been playing on the summer team i Play on with his older brother's since he was 15. The league is mostly D1 and former D1 players, I was suprised how good he was at 15, hope the kid continues to develop and makes it to the show.

Is that league at Olympia?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
thanks for the replies

while you USHL experts are here, I was wondering what you thought of Charlie Lindgren, goalie for Sioux Falls

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He has three goals in the two games I've seen him play v USHL teams this year but if I am not mistaken, the 2 goal game cured a very long goal drought for him. Scoring consistency, never a problem for him prior, has been a problem at this next level.

I've watched this player through 5 seasons now and he's a classic case of what can happen from hitting puberty early. A lot of knowledgable people had this kid as a first rounder when he was 15.

I will agree to an extent with Frankie. he was a first round pick in my eyes a year ago, and I still think he can morph into a Biggs/Miller this year after the U18 tourney.

he is that type of player in my eyes, a power winger, that doesnt get hyped up, but if he has a solid showing at the U18's (like Miller did), he can rise up the charts. the u18 tourney is a big difference maker for USNDP players as guys can rise and guys can fall. IMO, all of Vatrano, Matteau, and Darcy will rise after that tournament as all are big, powerful, forwards...and if they have that showing they will certainly move up lists.

I agree that Vatrano hasnt been as lights out as expected, and you are bang on that the majority of 94's havent tore it up, but his numbers and play are very solid in comparison to the rest of the team. also, USNDP players do get drafted higher then expected in many cases, especially those with solid size. though I am not saying Darcy or Vatrano get picked in the first round, it wouldnt shock me to see both gone by pick #60.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
thanks for the replies

while you USHL experts are here, I was wondering what you thought of Charlie Lindgren, goalie for Sioux Falls

He's done well taking over from Stephon who is one of the best in the U. Seems to have pretty quick feet. He stays down and back a bit much but, I guess, on that practice rink that they call ice there you'd have to.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
after two years of obscurity (1 due to ncaa rules) frankie is really working out well for a bad but young UMass team. 12-7-19 in 19 games to date.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
after two years of obscurity (1 due to ncaa rules) frankie is really working out well for a bad but young UMass team. 12-7-19 in 19 games to date.

Very bad and very young UMass team. Vatrano has been getting better every game though. Pretty great offensive weapon. If only he had support on that team...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
With 2 more last night, 10 goals in 8 games to begin his first full pro season. Pretty sure he is leading the AHL in scoring (unless he has been overtaken recently). Regardless this is a pleasant surprise. Don't think anybody saw this coming.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And now a well deserved call up.

Let's see what the Massachusetts kid can do against Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad