F Frank Nazar - Michigan Wolverines, NCAA (2022, 13th, CHI)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I still don't see the dominant off-the-charts skill you would expect from a 5'10 player who went that high in the draft, maybe that is just being spoiled with some of the names who have come through here in recent years. He looks more to be like Brisson or Bordeleau caliber player, but where he was drafted would make you think he should be more than that. I assume the Hawks sign him after the season, but I'm thinking this is going to be someone who will be AHL bound for awhile and not a right to the NHL guy, like maybe you'd have hoped with a Top 15 pick.

Skooma

Mar 25, 2023
I still don't see the dominant off-the-charts skill you would expect from a 5'10 player who went that high in the draft, maybe that is just being spoiled with some of the names who have come through here in recent years. He looks more to be like Brisson or Bordeleau caliber player, but where he was drafted would make you think he should be more than that. I assume the Hawks sign him after the season, but I'm thinking this is going to be someone who will be AHL bound for awhile and not a right to the NHL guy, like maybe you'd have hoped with a Top 15 pick.
Interesting, not saying you're wrong, as I have not watched him at all this year. However, I remember watching him in his draft year and his ability to attack the middle and his vision along with hands made him an offensive force. Which I recall made elite prospects fall in love and rate him highly.

I am curious, has he lost the ability to cut to the middle in transition as well as off the wall in the offensive zone? Has his offensive ability not grown? Or is he not able to dominate against structured defensive systems and more mature/better talent.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Interesting, not saying you're wrong, as I have not watched him at all this year. However, I remember watching him in his draft year and his ability to attack the middle and his vision along with hands made him an offensive force. Which I recall made elite prospects fall in love and rate him highly.

I am curious, has he lost the ability to cut to the middle in transition as well as off the wall in the offensive zone? Has his offensive ability not grown? Or is he not able to dominate against structured defensive systems and more mature/better talent.
18th in PPG and 11th for U20, wasn't playing up right away this year. Also had a good WJC. I think he's had a good year.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Doesn't play PP and still has pretty solid numbers. I think he's less flashy than other guys but pretty adept 200 ft player. Plays hard and has some edge. The size change will be a challenge but the pace he won't struggle with. Only time will tell I guess.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think he probably signs with Chicago, but it'll be interesting to see what McGroarty, Brindley, and Casey do. If most of those guys return, Michigan will be pretty loaded next year, especially with a few strong recruits on the way (Hage, Gridin, Humphreys). But if one guy goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 go. I don't think Nazar would be hurt by another college season after missing most of his freshman campaign, and if he stays while others go, he'll be the guy, which would be good for his development. He's had a very good year despite not getting prime PP opportunities.

My guess is Michigan hemorrhages some of their top players and he sees a lot of opportunity to immediately make the Blackhawks and jumps ship.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think he probably signs with Chicago, but it'll be interesting to see what McGroarty, Brindley, and Casey do. If most of those guys return, Michigan will be pretty loaded next year, especially with a few strong recruits on the way (Hage, Gridin, Humphreys). But if one guy goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see all 4 go. I don't think Nazar would be hurt by another college season after missing most of his freshman campaign, and if he stays while others go, he'll be the guy, which would be good for his development. He's had a very good year despite not getting prime PP opportunities.

My guess is Michigan hemorrhages some of their top players and he sees a lot of opportunity to immediately make the Blackhawks and jumps ship.
Pretty level headed analysis. I think he likely sees NHL ice and takes it next year, too. But I also sort of prefer him even in Rockford as we’d have a bit more control. He could certainly benefit being the guy junior year but I’d rather not take my chances. I thought he sort of got jerked around a bit this year. Never a consistent role. Rutger and Brindley always had each other.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Imagine him and Bedard on the same line 😍

The Frozen Four games are on the 11th and 13th and the Hawks have 3 games remaining after the Frozen Four wraps up on the 14th, 16th and 18th - so there still a possibility Nazar decides to turn pro and get a couple games with the Hawks to burn a year off the standard 3-year ELC. If that happens then I hope Nazar will play with Bedard and Kurashev. That would be fun as long as they don't spend every shift chasing the puck on defense.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'd love to see him come back for a junior season. I think McGroarty, Brindley and Casey are all signing pro deals but Nazar could come back and (like others have mentioned) be the # 1 offensive option next season.

Reactions: montreal

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not completely on topic. When did he add the 3rd and was anyone confusing him with his dad or grandfather?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I am kind of hoping he goes back to Michigan. In the long run he may benifit from being THE guy.

Reactions: Torts

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8252.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4