F Ethan Gauthier - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2023, 37th, TBL)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
will be interesting to see where he goes, late 2nd or 3rd round maybe?

He still gets first round buzz from scouting agencies and pundits.. I don't think I'd pick him in round 1 but I would imagine somebody does in the mid to late 20s

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I liked him a lot coming out of the Hlinka... but I thought he would be more productive in the Q than this.

Where do people think he goes now? 20's?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I liked him a lot coming out of the Hlinka... but I thought he would be more productive in the Q than this.

I’d pick him early/mid 2nd round. His production is fine. I have him ranked 37. He has some talent and a bit of an edge to his game, but I just don’t see him as a 1st round pick at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d pick him early/mid 2nd round. His production is fine. I have him ranked 37. He has some talent and a bit of an edge to his game, but I just don’t see him as a 1st round pick at this point.
I would be pretty happy if I could get him in round 2, personally.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I would be pretty happy if I could get him in round 2, personally.
I don’t think he’s a bad pick in the first round. But, I personally would not take him ahead of the guys I have listed with in the top 32. I think he probably goes in that 25-40 range. He’s a versatile forward that I think a lot of teams will want. However, Bob McKenzie had him listed ahead of Cristall, Heidt, Musty, Honzek, etc. and I just wouldn’t take him over those guys for example.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

We need to contextualize his production.

He plays top 9 for the Phoenix (Julien has rotated the lines a lot in the last few weeks) with PP2 ice time and still produces at over a PPG.

He is like the... 7th offensive option on the team and it is not because he is not good... it is because we are uber loaded.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Frk It

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don’t think he’s a bad pick in the first round. But, I personally would not take him ahead of the guys I have listed with in the top 32. I think he probably goes in that 25-40 range. He’s a versatile forward that I think a lot of teams will want. However, Bob McKenzie had him listed ahead of Cristall, Heidt, Musty, Honzek, etc. and I just wouldn’t take him over those guys for example.
The thing with Gauthier is while his upside might not be as high as those guys, he will be, at worse, a reliable 3rd line forward who can play in all situations.

He is a very safe bet. A team that already has its stars would be smart to draft him in the 20-30 range.

He is definitely not the type of player you could build around, but he is a very valuable complementary piece who is very close to NHL ready.

Reactions: Vachon23

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
I’ve seen someone say this player could be a Zach Hyman. Are they remotely comparable?

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
I see why Hyman comes up, they play a pretty similar style. Gauthier will likely top out as an elite complimentary winger who loves to get in the dirty areas, a la Hyman.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Voted best U18. Personally, I definitely don't understand why his name always comes up before that of Etienne Morin.

He is very combative but he clearly lacks talent (compared to a player expected in the 1st round in such a talented draft in attack).

On RDS, his father seems to think, but without saying so frankly, that Ethan will be selected top 20. I will not be surprised to see him available at the 30th position with Morin in front (the defenders will be selected higher than on the lists).

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Voted best U18. Personally, I definitely don't understand why his name always comes up before that of Etienne Morin.

He is very combative but he clearly lacks talent (compared to a player expected in the 1st round in such a talented draft in attack).

On RDS, his father seems to think, but without saying so frankly, that Ethan will be selected top 20. I will not be surprised to see him available at the 30th position with Morin in front (the defenders will be selected higher than on the lists).
Yea I think Morin is the top dog out of the Q this year. He is my favorite Canadian defenseman in this draft

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

His dad probably isn't wrong.. every year some guy gets drafted ahead of where he should because he's well rounded center with no stand out offensive skills.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
His dad probably isn't wrong.. every year some guy gets drafted ahead of where he should because he's well rounded center with no stand out offensive skills.
Precisely, Gauthier is not center. I regularly listen to Denis Gauthier, he really seems to me to overestimate his son. He falsely plays modesty and detachment but he has trouble imagining his son in the 2nd round.

The player of the year who most resembles him is probably Adam Sykora.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I think Gauthier has the energetic game of Hyman but I see him closer to a younger Eberle like player. Smaller crafty RW who at their best can be an dangerous and explosive puck mover but not a star player.

Of course I'm much higher on Gauthier than others.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Gauthier just got traded to Drummondville in the Q for an absolute haul (Three 1sts and two 2nds).

Sherbrooke seemed to be a really good team at player development so Gauthier leaving that team isn't great in my view.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Gauthier just got traded to Drummondville in the Q for an absolute haul (Three 1sts and two 2nds).

Sherbrooke seemed to be a really good team at player development so Gauthier leaving that team isn't great in my view.
Maasive move, they also had a lot of graduations after this season so may as we’ll recoup as many selections and the 6th overall pick for the rebuild. Smart move for them. And as I’m writing this… they trade the #6 again lmao

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Any Q watchers with legitimately informed opinions on Gauthier? Has his game stagnated or is he just focusing more on the 200 ft game than pure offense? Middle 6 C upside in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad