F Drake Caggiula (2012 undrafted; 2016 signed, EDM)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Surprised that I didn't see a thread about him here, but he's looked very good in training camp, and looks to have a decent chance of making the Oilers to start.

Seems like a pretty exciting player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Saw this in today's National Post from Jim Matheson:
'6. Drake Caggiula should make the team either at third-line centre or, at worst, as a 13th forward on the wing because he’s got a motor that doesn’t quit and his hockey IQ is very high. He’s also a quick study for the coaching staff. He’s one of those kids who will find a way to be a top nine NHLer for a long time.'

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Suprised hes looking as good as he is at center. IIRC he played almost entirely as a winger in other levels. Hes held his own at center at rookie tourny and also in NHL games. So to potentially find a suitable 3c would be huge. Itd allow LD and RNH to play in top 6 but also give wingers on 3rdline an offensive threat

He was one of the best NCAA FA signings this year (albeit weaker year) but has certaintly showed well so far. He can handle himself, rarely out of position and loves to shoot. One drawback is that he hasnt wowed yet with amazing moves. Mainly just a solid showing

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He looks decent so far. I'll reserve judgement until game 20 of the regular season.

Lots of guys have looked like they belong in preseason only to fizzle out down the road.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too bad Benning screwed this up royally and couldnt get him to come home. Had Boeser begging Benning to get him too and still couldnt do it. Hes gonna be a keeper for the Oilers he is a HARD WORKING and SMART player

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
I want to reserve my judgement until the regular season, Lander looked real good last preseason aswell.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Too bad Benning screwed this up royally and couldnt get him to come home. Had Boeser begging Benning to get him too and still couldnt do it. Hes gonna be a keeper for the Oilers he is a HARD WORKING and SMART player

TBH I am not sure how Edmonton wound up with this kid. He had some pretty big teams going hard for him. Some of them included Philly (with his former coach), Chicago (with his former linemate), Vancouver (with his best friend linemate and other linemate). All better cities and teams.

Add to that the fact Edmonton has a pretty legit forward core with not much room for him (at time Hall was on team and Lucic was heavily rumored to be going there). So not like he saw a baron wasteland in his position like Schultz did. His path to NHL was really blocked. More so than almost any team going for him.

Oilers were barely a player until he actually signed. And it really caught me offguard. I would have loved to see the pitch to him

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He looks decent so far. I'll reserve judgement until game 20 of the regular season.

Lots of guys have looked like they belong in preseason only to fizzle out down the road.

exactly this. Every team thinks they have a new rookie standout that will step into lineup right off the bat. I reserve judgement always until the final preseason game or 2 when teams have made a lot of cuts and actually dress NHL players.

He has looked pretty good so far though

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
TBH I am not sure how Edmonton wound up with this kid. He had some pretty big teams going hard for him. Some of them included Philly (with his former coach), Chicago (with his former linemate), Vancouver (with his best friend linemate and other linemate). All better cities and teams.

Add to that the fact Edmonton has a pretty legit forward core with not much room for him (at time Hall was on team and Lucic was heavily rumored to be going there). So not like he saw a baron wasteland in his position like Schultz did. His path to NHL was really blocked. More so than almost any team going for him.

Oilers were barely a player until he actually signed. And it really caught me offguard. I would have loved to see the pitch to him

Once he saw the dank new dressing room at Rogers place it was over

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
exactly this. Every team thinks they have a new rookie standout that will step into lineup right off the bat. I reserve judgement always until the final preseason game or 2 when teams have made a lot of cuts and actually dress NHL players.

He has looked pretty good so far though

Rookies are full of piss and vinegar fighting for careers. Vets are waking up from summer slumber. Usually by about game 4 of preseason we see vets awake and rookies start to look out of place again

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

New Arena and Connor McDavid were the big two, albeit thats probably the same pitch they've given every player since the draft lottery last year

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
New Arena and Connor McDavid were the big two, albeit thats probably the same pitch they've given every player since the draft lottery last year

Arena is legit. McDavid factor is weird tho as hell likely never really play with him and im sure theyve pitched Hall, RNH, Yak etc etc for years before this (albeit they were far less heralded)

Honestly I would have picked Chicago if I had the choice. Almost same opp for playing time and you are on a proven winner. Although cant criticize his choice :laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Rookies are full of piss and vinegar fighting for careers. Vets are waking up from summer slumber. Usually by about game 4 of preseason we see vets awake and rookies start to look out of place again

He can skate at the nhl level and has a great I.q. for the game, he isn't letting up anytime soon.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Once he saw the dank new dressing room at Rogers place it was over

I doubt thats why he didnt come here just because the arena is so old. I think Benning fudged it and the Oilers just said McDavid and it worked and Benning couldnt go a step further in convincing him

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He can skate at the nhl level and has a great I.q. for the game, he isn't letting up anytime soon.

Hopefully not. Slepyshev looked same last preseason and fizzled out over time in NHL once real games started

Not saying hell follow suit but gotta wait and see. Looks promising but this is easy part. But he got a great shot with WHC and all top 3 centers gone and he rally took advantage

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Ive actually found him less and less noticeable as these games have gone on.

First game he was a star and then ive just found he hasn't been quite as good now since opponents are dressing more and more veterans.

IMO he will be in the AHL to start the season

Still an unreal signing!!!

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Hopefully not. Slepyshev looked same last preseason and fizzled out over time in NHL once real games started

Not saying hell follow suit but gotta wait and see. Looks promising but this is easy part. But he got a great shot with WHC and all top 3 centers gone and he rally took advantage

I understand the small sample size. The ahl will not be bad but he will tear it up there I think to only get noticed league wide for a call up sooner than later is what I predict if he's sent down to the ahl. He's been excelling with nhl talent thus far.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I doubt thats why he didnt come here just because the arena is so old. I think Benning fudged it and the Oilers just said McDavid and it worked and Benning couldnt go a step further in convincing him

Caggiula was actually an Erie Otters draft pick but chose the NCAA route. So it's possible he just wanted his turn with McDavid.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

? He's from Pickering, Ontario. The only connection to the Canucks was that he played with Boeser and Stecher in College. You're probably thinking of Stecher who is from BC and was signed by Vancouver. Another great free agent signing.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

They showed him this:

5e1f9f20-16d3-11e6-856a-f7a99b5ca9ab_CiCOIoiUgAQbI51.jpg

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
intriguing player but he has a long way to go. have yet to see the physical edge/chippyness, so don't see how comparisons to gallagher and marchand are warranted.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Suprised hes looking as good as he is at center. IIRC he played almost entirely as a winger in other levels. Hes held his own at center at rookie tourny and also in NHL games. So to potentially find a suitable 3c would be huge. Itd allow LD and RNH to play in top 6 but also give wingers on 3rdline an offensive threat

He was one of the best NCAA FA signings this year (albeit weaker year) but has certaintly showed well so far. He can handle himself, rarely out of position and loves to shoot. One drawback is that he hasnt wowed yet with amazing moves. Mainly just a solid showing

He played centre growing up, but said he only played about 20% of his college career at centre. The only thing I was worried about with him at centre was his size and face-off ability, but he's proven those aren't issues. At least up until this point he's been good on the face-off, and he's shown very good hockey IQ both offensively and defensively, and has a real knack of slipping in and out of coverage with his elusive skating, so for me his size won't limit him at C. I saw a bit of him and college and thought he had some solid potential, but he's looked even better than I was expecting him to this preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad