F Daniil Gushchin (2020, 76th, SJS)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Let's hope Miroshnichenko isn't next. He may be too good to be ruined though, like Svechnikov and Radulov.

Small Russian prospects usually never succeed in NA juniors. Chances are slim enough as it is even if they stay in Europe to develop, there are barely any sub 5'10 Russian forwards who developed in Russia making the NHL over the years. Making it at Gushkins size was always going to be a big challenge but yes staying in Russia probably would have slightly increased it. Miroshnichenko should have a better chance to make it with his size and skating if things go really well though staying in Russia would be best for him as well. He would for sure be better suited than someone like Michkov though.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Small Russian prospects usually never succeed in NA juniors. Chances are slim enough as it is even if they stay in Europe to develop, there are barely any sub 5'10 Russian forwards who developed in Russia making the NHL over the years. Making it at Gushkins size was always going to be a big challenge but yes staying in Russia probably would have slightly increased it. Miroshnichenko should have a better chance to make it with his size and skating if things go really well though staying in Russia would be best for him as well. He would for sure be better suited than someone like Michkov though.
Why would staying in Russia be better for them? Not being challenged as much? Not playing a pro style game on NA ice? Not competing against faster and harder competition? The MHL is inferior to the USHL. Wouldn’t playing top line minutes, PP and PK as guschin did in the USHL be better than doing it in the MHL? Or would u prefer him play 7 mins a night in the KHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would staying in Russia be better for them? Not being challenged as much? Not playing a pro style game on NA ice? Not competing against faster and harder competition? The MHL is inferior to the USHL. Wouldn’t playing top line minutes, PP and PK as guschin did in the USHL be better than doing it in the MHL? Or would u prefer him play 7 mins a night in the KHL?

Panarin, Gusev, Kaprizov. It’s worked out pretty well for undersized Russian forwards in the KHL.

Reactions: Atas2000

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Lol, the MHL is at least as good as USHL. At the very least as good.

Reactions: Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If indeed he was good enough to play 7 minutes in the KHL, that would benefit hs development more than playing in the USHL by a country mile. The not being challenged as much pretty accurately applies to players leaving Russia to play in in the USHL(or CHL for that matter) as opposed to playing in the MHL/VHL/KHL. There are quite apparent recent examples of that and how it works out.

My beef with German Rubtsov leaving was that he was running away from tougher competition in Russia(if you want to compare leagues, then here you go: he's had 15pts in 15 games in the MHL, then 22pts in 16gp in the QMJHL in the exactly same season after leaving. That culture shock and trouble adjusting to the tough pro level game in NA must have boosted his performance:sarcasm:). He was a promising prospect in the system of one of the weaker KHL teams. He was close to getting his chances in the KHL(in fact he does have 15 KHL games as a 18y.o. on his resume). That would have been exactly the point in his career where he would have to give it some effort to deserve minutes in the second best pro league in the world. Instead he decided to spend another one and a half seasons in cosy juniors in NA and then until now was playing in the inferior to the KHL AHL not showing any signs of progress.

The "pro style game on NA ice" is exactly what players would get playing in Russia being able to advance to the VHL and KHL much earlier if they bring it and many KHL teams changing rink size(which I am not a fan of personally). It would have been defnitely better for Guschin to not be stuck in a junior system that is not better than the MHL by any measure. Playing time seems to be your only valid argument, but that again implies that there is in fact LESS competition in the USHL as the saame player would have it easier to get ice time and assignments there.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Watching both i disagree. The USHL especially on smaller ice is a much tougher league to play in, faster and higher compete stye, whereas the MHL is alot slower pace with more time and space.

Reactions: librarianviking

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Panarin, Gusev, Kaprizov. It’s worked out pretty well for undersized Russian forwards in the KHL.
Yeah but they spent years in the KHL which is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best league in the world. I'm referring to MHL vs USHL and IMO the USHL is the better developmental league. Theres a reason so many guys are leaving the MHL to come play here.

Reactions: NJ Fan 12

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If indeed he was good enough to play 7 minutes in the KHL, that would benefit hs development more than playing in the USHL by a country mile. The not being challenged as much pretty accurately applies to players leaving Russia to play in in the USHL(or CHL for that matter) as opposed to playing in the MHL/VHL/KHL. There are quite apparent recent examples of that and how it works out.

My beef with German Rubtsov leaving was that he was running away from tougher competition in Russia(if you want to compare leagues, then here you go: he's had 15pts in 15 games in the MHL, then 22pts in 16gp in the QMJHL in the exactly same season after leaving. That culture shock and trouble adjusting to the tough pro level game in NA must have boosted his performance:sarcasm:). He was a promising prospect in the system of one of the weaker KHL teams. He was close to getting his chances in the KHL(in fact he does have 15 KHL games as a 18y.o. on his resume). That would have been exactly the point in his career where he would have to give it some effort to deserve minutes in the second best pro league in the world. Instead he decided to spend another one and a half seasons in cosy juniors in NA and then until now was playing in the inferior to the KHL AHL not showing any signs of progress.

The "pro style game on NA ice" is exactly what players would get playing in Russia being able to advance to the VHL and KHL much earlier if they bring it and many KHL teams changing rink size(which I am not a fan of personally). It would have been defnitely better for Guschin to not be stuck in a junior system that is not better than the MHL by any measure. Playing time seems to be your only valid argument, but that again implies that there is in fact LESS competition in the USHL as the saame player would have it easier to get ice time and assignments there.
IMO the USHL is very different than the Q and the CHL leagues in general. They style and north-south pace is very different, the USHL is mostly 19-20 yr olds about to play D1 etc.. I think it's "easier" to play in the Q than the USHL which even just stat watching you can probably notice by the over inflated point totals.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I haven’t watched the MHL outside of highlights but I would point out that people like to underestimate the USHL. It’s a very, very good league.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I haven’t watched the MHL outside of highlights but I would point out that people like to underestimate the USHL. It’s a very, very good league.

I know, that USHL is a good league, but MHL isn't that bad as well. Considering all those U18 international tournaments, Team Russia (which is basically Team MHL) looks very solid vs CHL and USHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Watching both i disagree. The USHL especially on smaller ice is a much tougher league to play in, faster and higher compete stye, whereas the MHL is alot slower pace with more time and space.

They play on the different ice, the big ice games usually seem slower, than the small ice ones, but when they play on the same ice, the pace is about the same.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USHL and MHL are similar level, in my opinion. I think MHL players are generally more naturally skilled, while USHL players are better schooled tactically and are generally more physically developed. Both leagues are below the level of the WHL and OHL, but I think they are at least on par with the QMJHL.

Reactions: wings5

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
USHL and MHL are similar level, in my opinion. I think MHL players are generally more naturally skilled, while USHL players are better schooled tactically and are generally more physically developed. Both leagues are below the level of the WHL and OHL, but I think they are at least on par with the QMJHL.
The USHL would probably be on par with or possibly superior to the WHL and OHL if all the high end 18-20 yr olds stayed rather than goin NCAA...... like they essentially do in those CHL leagues(especially given the AHL rule) they're pool of talent should be higher.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Does anyone else get a Jonathan Drouin vibe from Gushchin?
Periphery player, all the skill in the world but very little will to fight for the slot, always leaving you wanting more?
Add that to his small frame and Russian origin, and it sounds like someone whose career will never take off in the NHL...
I hope I'm wrong for the kid.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Does anyone else get a Jonathan Drouin vibe from Gushchin?
Periphery player, all the skill in the world but very little will to fight for the slot, always leaving you wanting more?
Add that to his small frame and Russian origin, and it sounds like someone whose career will never take off in the NHL...
I hope I'm wrong for the kid.

He's way smaller than Drouin, I'd be very surprised if he made it to the NHL.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Awesome...Did not know this thtead existed. I remember going to Lumberjack(and Fury) games growing up.

Reactions: Sandisfan

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If he had stayed in Russia I'm positive he would be playing at least mostly in the VHL. Would more than likely be getting in some KHL games as well

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
If he had stayed in Russia I'm positive he would be playing at least mostly in the VHL. Would more than likely be getting in some KHL games as well
Eh some guys want to take different paths. Getting adjusted to north american life is no easy task. The one thing that sucks is that it would've give him a far better shot at playing world juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad