F Cooper Simpson - Shakopee Sabres, USHS (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Forward that caught my eye at the u15 Selects tournament. He had impressive numbers for his high school as a freshman. Should definitely be a name to keep an eye on for 2025.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was the best of the forwards for the USA on the U17 Select team. I can't easily find stats accumulated in one place, but I went through the individual stats of a lot of the players, and I'm pretty sure he had the highest total by a bunch of points. 10 points in 5 games.

He's a very offensively skilled player. It's like a Zegras type puck game, and he's an inch taller already than Zegras. I can definitely see how he scores so many points with the hands and passing. Scored 5 goals too at this tournament and I've read he's more of a shooter than passer, so he's likely a triple threat offensively. Skates well. What's holding him back is probably that he appears to be a winger and then that his compete level is no better than acceptable. You'd think if he was a natural center there's no way he's the guy that's pushed to winger, as he was the best forward on the team by a lot, so he's probably a natural winger.

I think he looks like a first round pick for 2025. I have a hard time believing he's not good enough for the NTDP. There aren't going to be more than 5, at most, NTDP forwards with his offensive game and it could be a lot less than that, so it could be a situation where a Minnesota player preferred to stay home and play Minnesota High School hockey. This U17 Select team for the USA had two players I thought were incredibly good draft prospects (Simpson and Reid). I liked Reid's play a little more, but I think Simpson would still be better than every other prospect that has come through this team in 2021 and 2022 too. If Reid and Simpson couldn't make that team (more likely declined spots), there must be some incredible players on that team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s absolutely sick. Real slick puck game.

Definitely one of the best U17’s in the USHL this season. His stats aren’t that impressive, but he was playing 4th line from what I saw. Ended up going back to his high school team for their season, so I suspect TC didn’t want to commit a top six spot to him right away.

But you can totally see how he’s the replacement for Connelly next season. His puck handling is dominant in junior, and has scoring skills also.

Committed to North Dakota in September. I suspect he’s a lock for the US Hlinka team in the summer.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He’s absolutely sick. Real slick puck game.

Definitely one of the best U17’s in the USHL this season. His stats aren’t that impressive, but he was playing 4th line from what I saw. Ended up going back to his high school team for their season, so I suspect TC didn’t want to commit a top six spot to him right away.

But you can totally see how he’s the replacement for Connelly next season. His puck handling is dominant in junior, and has scoring skills also.

Committed to North Dakota in September. I suspect he’s a lock for the US Hlinka team in the summer.
The USHL (non-NTDP) is frustrating. It does make sense for coaches to go with reliable, older veterans who help win games, but it's annoying that many talented 16 and 17 year olds don't get enough ice time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The USHL (non-NTDP) is frustrating. It does make sense for coaches to go with reliable, older veterans who help win games, but it's annoying that many talented 16 and 17 year olds don't get enough ice time.
The most annoying for me right now is Chase Reid for Waterloo.

He played I think like 10 games, and the two games I saw he got credit for a game he didn’t actually see a shift. I suspect he’s not played more than a few shifts all year, even though he’s better than guys from his year who are like 1PPG already. The disparity between teams can be crazy.

His team doesn’t even have good players ahead of him, and he’d make them so much better.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The most annoying for me right now is Chase Reid for Waterloo.

He played I think like 10 games, and the two games I saw he got credit for a game he didn’t actually see a shift. I suspect he’s not played more than a few shifts all year, even though he’s better than guys from his year who are like 1PPG already. The disparity between teams can be crazy.

His team doesn’t even have good players ahead of him, and he’d make them so much better.
I wonder what would happen to some of these guys if the NCAA started allowing CHL guys transfer?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
That would REALLY surprise me. I'd think rounds 3-5 with the potential to get up to round 2.

Reactions: 95snipes

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could he be a first rounder next year? @Pavel Buchnevich
I think so, but will need a big season next year. Connelly came in as round 2 this year and moved up with a great season. Tri-City often has a competitive team and internal hierarchy, so it takes time for their players to earn more ice time. His stats are deceiving because there were games he would play 4th line and no PP. A full season of top six, and he could score a lot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
0+2 tonight in a playoff loss. Team didn’t have Connelly. I think next year when Simpson is driving the bus he’ll be 1PPG or above.

He had way too many games this year where he barely played. Now that they’ve upped his ice time, situations, and linemates he’s putting up a lot of points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad