F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If Caufield did sign and turn pro this season that would be......very interesting, to put it mildly.

I understand he's had a good development camp but, yikes, that would not be a good idea in the long term.
Is this actually being discussed as a possibility?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If Caufield did sign and turn pro this season that would be......very interesting, to put it mildly.

I understand he's had a good development camp but, yikes, that would not be a good idea in the long term.
You think he won't be able to play in AHL?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
You think he won't be able to play in AHL?

i think he could but i still think a year in the NCAA would be much more beneficial, unless Montreal's plan is to have Poehling + Suzuki in Laval all year no matter what. i wouldn't mind Caufield joining them!

been saying for a while i think Suzuki and Caufield could end up one of the best PP duo in the NHL if they both tranlsate their skill set... Suzuki's ability to be deceptive on the right side circle, with either his release or perfect cross-ice pass towards the left side circle where Caufield plays and exels on the powerplay will be deadly. add a tiping beast in front of the net like Poehling, or even Kotkaniemi and you got something great going!

Reactions: Acadien86

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Is this actually being discussed as a possibility?

Not by anyone without any routing interest in the situation. Montreal left Ryan Poehling in college for 3 years and he was way more physically ready for professional hockey. Not sure why Montreal would want to pull an Edmonton and rush him. They seem to be doing things the right way there right now, not sure why they would change it up. I guess they could offer him a contract and play him in the AHL this year but IDK if that helps, he needs a year in the gym before he's ready for the riggers of professional hockey. Its not like he's really elusive and avoids contact like a Kane or Hughes. I think the odds of messing up his development by getting him to sign now are high. Also I don't know many mid 1st rounders that were college bound that signed an Entry Level before they ended up on campus. I hear he's already at Wisconsin and skating and working out so this would be uncharted waters if he did sign.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not by anyone without any routing interest in the situation. Montreal left Ryan Poehling in college for 3 years and he was way more physically ready for professional hockey. Not sure why Montreal would want to pull an Edmonton and rush him. They seem to be doing things the right way there right now, not sure why they would change it up. I guess they could offer him a contract and play him in the AHL this year but IDK if that helps, he needs a year in the gym before he's ready for the riggers of professional hockey. Its not like he's really elusive and avoids contact like a Kane or Hughes. I think the odds of messing up his development by getting him to sign now are high. Also I don't know many mid 1st rounders that were college bound that signed an Entry Level before they ended up on campus. I hear he's already at Wisconsin and skating and working out so this would be uncharted waters if he did sign.

Minor correction. I agree with your point, but Montreal left Poehling in college for two years. His Freshman season was prior to him being drafted.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Poehling was only 10 pounds heavier than Caufield - who weighs as much as Debrincat and Gaudreau currently - at the time of their draft despite being over half a foot taller.

He also did not come close to a single top 10 finish in any test at the combine to Caufield's three (bench press, vertical jump, pull ups). And you could clearly see that lack of strength in his muffin of a shot in his D and D+1 years.

Being ready for pro has little to do with height. Having the strength and skill to match the league are much more important factors.

I'm not saying he should be turning pro. But saying Poehling was more physically ready for pro hockey at 18 is just false.

Reactions: Captain97

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Poehling was only 10 pounds heavier than Caufield - who weighs as much as Debrincat and Gaudreau currently - at the time of their draft despite being over half a foot taller.

He also did not come close to a single top 10 finish in any test at the combine to Caufield's three (bench press, vertical jump, pull ups). And you could clearly see that lack of strength in his muffin of a shot in his D and D+1 years.

Being ready for pro has little to do with height. Having the strength and skill to match the league are much more important factors.

I'm not saying he should be turning pro. But saying Poehling was more physically ready for pro hockey at 18 is just false.
Has little to do with height? I know plenty of 5’7” guys built like brick s*** houses, but I don’t know of many 5’7” guys in the NHL. At least one year of college and then try the AHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Poehling went to college a year early, like Brinkman did this past year. Would be a bit surprised if Poehling doesn't get some NHL time this year, though there is nothing wrong with seasoning in the AHL.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Has little to do with height? I know plenty of 5’7” guys built like brick s*** houses, but I don’t know of many 5’7” guys in the NHL. At least one year of college and then try the AHL.

You're proving my point.

It's not because they were raw or underdeveloped that they didn't make the NHL.

If Caufield turns out to be too small/soft/slow/poor defensively/lacking in vision for the NHL, then it doesn't matter if he takes 0 years or 4 years in the NCAA to develop. Nothing changes.

It only matters if you think "he needs to add x pounds/amount of strength to his frame in order to do be able to translate his game to the pros".

And judging by his combine results and weight relative to similar sized NHL players, he's already in a fairly advanced spot physically for his age.

Poehling was drafted at 6'2 175. He NEEDED two years to get up to 200 lbs in order for his style of play to hold up in the pros.

I don't necessarily believe that's the case for Caufield. I highly doubt his NHL playing weight is over 175. And so long as he's getting the ice time and PP opportunities, all the other things he would need to work on to round out his game can be done at any level.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
You're proving my point.

It's not because they were raw or underdeveloped that they didn't make the NHL.

If Caufield turns out to be too small/soft/slow/poor defensively/lacking in vision for the NHL, then it doesn't matter if he takes 0 years or 4 years in the NCAA to develop. Nothing changes.

It only matters if you think "he needs to add x pounds/amount of strength to his frame in order to do be able to translate his game to the pros".

And judging by his combine results and weight relative to similar sized NHL players, he's already in a fairly advanced spot physically for his age.

Poehling was drafted at 6'2 175. He NEEDED two years to get up to 200 lbs in order for his style of play to hold up in the pros.

I don't necessarily believe that's the case for Caufield. I highly doubt his NHL playing weight is over 175. And so long as he's getting the ice time and PP opportunities, all the other things he would need to work on to round out his game can be done at any level.

Yeah I mean I don't think that he should sign this year but I think this logic holds up in a way. That said the team he played for last year was a total anomaly, and he is challenging himself as an 18-year-old in college this year. It makes sense for me that he would try to get his game to another level in college before pushing it to the pro ranks. I think 2~3 years at Wisconsin could be brilliant for him.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

A team that offers contracts to 18 year olds based on their bench press, vertical jump and pull ups should be banned from hockey!

Reactions: Anardil

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site

I agree that there is no way in hell Caufield turns pro this season. In fact I wouldn't doubt he spends two years in college before turning pro.

For fun here are the 5'7" and under NHLers over the past 5 season as per NHL.com

Nathan Gerbe - 5'4"
Rocco Grimaldi - 5'6"
Joe Whitney - 5'6"
Alex DeBrincat - 5'7"
Blake Lizotte - 5'7"
David Desharnais - 5'7"
Chris Conner - 5'7"
Stephen Gionta - 5'7"
Brian Gionta - 5'7"

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I agree that there is no way in hell Caufield turns pro this season. In fact I wouldn't doubt he spends two years in college before turning pro.

For fun here are the 5'7" and under NHLers over the past 5 season as per NHL.com

Nathan Gerbe - 5'4"
Rocco Grimaldi - 5'6"
Joe Whitney - 5'6"
Alex DeBrincat - 5'7"
Blake Lizotte - 5'7"
David Desharnais - 5'7"
Chris Conner - 5'7"
Stephen Gionta - 5'7"
Brian Gionta - 5'7"
Add st-louis to the list, Websites are clearly lying
Lol

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
For all we know it is still very possible Caufield grows an extra inch or 2. I think both his dead and his brother were 5'10"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad