F Chris Kreider (2009, 19th overall, New York Rangers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Does anyone know anything about this prospect? All i know is that he is commited to BC next year and he is pretty high up on the NA Skaters list for the midseason central scouting. I love following prospects, but i have never heard of him so anything will help.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I talked to him last night as a matter of fact... :)

He's a tremendous skater and has excellent hands, hockey sense and size. The complete package in other words. He has 14 goals and 21 points in 9 games. His Andover team is off to a 7-1-1 start...same school Cory Schneider played at before going to BC.

One scout told me Kreider has 1st round talent and tools, but because he's playing in the NE prep leagues, there are always going to be a lot of questions about him going into the draft. NE preps just aren't what they used to be, so he's got a shot at the late 1st round, but he'll have to keep pouring it on.

He's an extremely humble, softspoken young man, though. Two years ago, he was playing Division 2 HS hockey at Masconomet Regional High in Topsfield, so he's come a long way in a short time. He's easily the best prospect to come out of New England this season.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
LW Chris Kreider - 6'-2" 200 LBS - Phillips Andover
A big, strong skating winger who blends his outstanding speed and skills very effectively. He is still very raw but has all the tools to potentially turn into a top end prospect with development. He has exceptional explosiveness and the ability to take the puck inside against a defender with his size or outside the defender with his speed. Has good hands but needs work on the defensive fundamentals, adding strength and polishing his skill set.

brucrew01867

Dec 26, 2006
Kreider actually plays prep school hockey in MA at Phillips Andover Academy, which can count Cory Schneider (and George Bush) as alums.

Some consider him the best pure prospect to come out of MA in a long time. He is absolutely tearing up Division 1 prep hockey right now and his Andover team is ranked 1st in New England (powerhouse Salisbury sits at #2). He led his team which included a bunch of d1 college players last season in goals. All I can really tell you is that he is a big, physical player with a great shot. Supposedly, he's a very smart kid as well.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
This kid sounds a lot like a Marian Hossa-style player. I'll admit I know NOTHING about him right now, as likely most around here do, being he's jumped nearly from water vapor to first round position in the eyes of CSB. The great speed, shot, and size seems a lot like Hossa and if he can continue to refine his game, it sounds like a hell of a power forward in the making.
For what it's worth, Hossa was not lauded for his defensive abilities until he refined them at the next level.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
This kid sounds a lot like a Marian Hossa-style player. I'll admit I know NOTHING about him right now, as likely most around here do, being he's jumped nearly from water vapor to first round position in the eyes of CSB. The great speed, shot, and size seems a lot like Hossa and if he can continue to refine his game, it sounds like a hell of a power forward in the making.

He's been on the scouting radars since putting up a strong showing in his first year of prep as a sophomore last year.

The problem is that the NE Prep leagues are not what they used to be (back when guys like Brian Leetch, Craig Janney, Tony Amonte, Keith Tkachuk, etc. were being drafted out of them), so Kreider is going to get dinged over concerns teams might have over his development track because of the level of competition he's playing in at Andover. Plus, he's only a junior, so he has one more season before he reports to Boston College.

How he intends to spend the interim year before he joins the ranks of Division 1 college hockey will likely play a role in what NHL teams decide to do with him. If he plans to return to Phillips, that will likely hurt him. Should he opt for the USHL, he could very well end up in the 1st round so long as he continues his impressive production for the Big Blue.

He's a terrific person- mature, articulate and bright. His family is not focused on him following a path straight to the NHL, so what he's going to do is really up to him/them and remains to be seen. He wouldn't say what his plans are when I talked to him the other night, so I'd be remiss if I started speculating on his future here. It will all play out eventually.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
He's been on the scouting radars since putting up a strong showing in his first year of prep as a sophomore last year.

The problem is that the NE Prep leagues are not what they used to be (back when guys like Brian Leetch, Craig Janney, Tony Amonte, Keith Tkachuk, etc. were being drafted out of them), so Kreider is going to get dinged over concerns teams might have over his development track because of the level of competition he's playing in at Andover. Plus, he's only a junior, so he has one more season before he reports to Boston College.

How he intends to spend the interim year before he joins the ranks of Division 1 college hockey will likely play a role in what NHL teams decide to do with him. If he plans to return to Phillips, that will likely hurt him. Should he opt for the USHL, he could very well end up in the 1st round so long as he continues his impressive production for the Big Blue.

He's a terrific person- mature, articulate and bright. His family is not focused on him following a path straight to the NHL, so what he's going to do is really up to him/them and remains to be seen. He wouldn't say what his plans are when I talked to him the other night, so I'd be remiss if I started speculating on his future here. It will all play out eventually.

Thanks a lot for the info, bud! It's always reassuring to see a young kid, with a good head on his shoulders, who displays it as well.

X-SHARKIE

A small sample of reports on Kreider from McKeen's Hockey.

Chris Kreider (2009), LW, Phillips Academy
An impressive combination of speed, skill, and size that could be a force if he puts when he puts it all together .. a powerful skater with a fast end-to-end top gear and awesome acceleration .. can absolutely fly down the wing in possession and he innately employees his dynamic mobility by identifying the open ice and quickly exploiting it with his speed like an NFL running back .. an NHL caliber passer already that accurately puts some zip behind his passes .. skillful and intelligent with the puck, Kreider can quarterback the power play from the half-wall .. has a projectable frame and combines it with his speed to be a decent presence on the forecheck .. can get mean and deliver a heavy body check when provoked, but he isn't a naturally aggressive player and would benefit from playing a physical game every shift along with adding more strength .. he doesn't finish with consistency and his defensive play needs work, but Kreider is a promising draft prospect with great speed and pure talent.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
anyone have his chl rights?

If he's going to Phillips Andover he has to be pretty smart. It's a tough school so I doubt CHL is even in his thoughts. BC is a good place for him to mature even if he stays another year in prep.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
So for this kid to suddenly push himself into the light, what has happened? If all that has been holding him back for so long is the level of play he's currently playing at, you wouldn't expect him to make such a jump all-of-the-sudden. Is this kid a gem or is he simply about to be hyped to high heaven to be something more than what he should be, due to HF logic? Because I sense the calm before the storm here over the last 2 days or so, since this kid has gained some attention... Everything I'm reading here makes me really hope the Pens can grab him (I'm not one to jump on the train so quickly, which is why I'm trying to get to the bottom of this kid).

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
So for this kid to suddenly push himself into the light, what has happened? If all that has been holding him back for so long is the level of play he's currently playing at, you wouldn't expect him to make such a jump all-of-the-sudden. Is this kid a gem or is he simply about to be hyped to high heaven to be something more than what he should be, due to HF logic? Because I sense the calm before the storm here over the last 2 days or so, since this kid has gained some attention... Everything I'm reading here makes me really hope the Pens can grab him (I'm not one to jump on the train so quickly, which is why I'm trying to get to the bottom of this kid).

In a nutshell, he's got the high-end tools, and this season- he's tearing it up offensively, which is always a recipre for success. It's the same thing that happened with Cory Schneider back in '04 when he posted a .964 save percentage...even if you think that a player is in an inferior league/level of competition, at some point, the production speaks for itself.

I remember Schneider's accomplishments being minimized on this board at this time five years ago because he was playing prep hockey, but the cream rises to the top. He did it then (by forcing his way into the 1st-round) and Kreider could do it again. I will tell you that other sources like Red Line Report are not as high on Kreider as the CSB is, and if he doesn't keep putting the big numbers up, then I expect you'll see a precipitous fall on the CSB final rankings. But for now, most recognize that he's got the ability to develop into a player...it's just where he's playing that gives some of the scouts cause for pause.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
It's not so much that he's all-of-the-sudden risen up the rankings, he's just finally getting the recognition he deserves. How often do CSS/ISS/McKeens, etc. really get to view Prep kids? He's been in the spotlight in the Prep ranks for a few seasons now and his talent is well-known, it's the level of competition that was the question with him.

I believe a few sources like McKeens has even had information on him prior to this season.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
In a nutshell, he's got the high-end tools, and this season- he's tearing it up offensively, which is always a recipre for success. It's the same thing that happened with Cory Schneider back in '04 when he posted a .964 save percentage...even if you think that a player is in an inferior league/level of competition, at some point, the production speaks for itself.

I remember Schneider's accomplishments being minimized on this board at this time five years ago because he was playing prep hockey, but the cream rises to the top. He did it then (by forcing his way into the 1st-round) and Kreider could do it again. I will tell you that other sources like Red Line Report are not as high on Kreider as the CSB is, and if he doesn't keep putting the big numbers up, then I expect you'll see a precipitous fall on the CSB final rankings. But for now, most recognize that he's got the ability to develop into a player...it's just where he's playing that gives some of the scouts cause for pause.

Thanks again, Kirk.

brucrew01867

Dec 26, 2006
The quality of play in New England Prep Hockey is inconsistent. Phillips Andover plays a pretty strong schedule, including the Flood Marr Tournament, giving scouts a chance to see Kreider against some other talents. In my opinion, the high end talent is there in the prep ranks. However, depth is an issue in prep hockey. In addition, some teams are just plain awful in NEPSAC Div. 1. Teams like Andover, Salisbury, Exeter, Taft, Lawrence are very good though and have numerous d1 prospects.

Regardless, Kreider's line of 16-8-24 in 10 games is stunning considering he's only been held scoreless in 1 game (a 3-3 with Choate where he assisted on the game tying goal). I think that he has the raw talent and tools to excel at the next level, but we'll see when that time comes.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Chris Kreider

Can anyone give me any info on Chris Kreider? I know he is a defenseman, and I know he is verbally committed to BC, but man, i cant find ANY information on this guy. All the people ive talked to says theyve never even heard of him, yet he is in the top 20 of the central scouting prospect rankings. I am intrigued to find out more information about his playing style, player comparability, etc.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Kreider is a winger. He best asset is his skating. He has a tremendous burst of speed with a smooth stride. He can really fire the puck too. I cannot decide who he plays like, but I have heard a scout say he reminds him of a young Tony Amonte. One issue I have with his game is that he does not play with a lot of grit. When he does play physical, he dominates at the prep level. Hope this helps

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Kreider is a winger. He best asset is his skating. He has a tremendous burst of speed with a smooth stride. He can really fire the puck too. I cannot decide who he plays like, but I have heard a scout say he reminds him of a young Tony Amonte. One issue I have with his game is that he does not play with a lot of grit. When he does play physical, he dominates at the prep level. Hope this helps

Thanks man. I guess i really didnt know anything about him seeing that i thought he was a defenseman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anyone know a good site where one can find Chris Kreider's current scoring stats and checking up the other New England Prep School Hockey stats that are updated and accurate.

Also looking for Mac Bennett the dman from Hotchkiss bearcats ..

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad