F Chaz Lucius - USNTDP, USHL (2021, 18th, WPG)

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I wouldn’t laugh at it. I think doing that would be childish. I take your statement at face value that you believe that, and I won’t belittle you for having an opinion I disagree with. Some others operate differently, and to each their own. I’m merely stating that I don’t think those people who laughed at it then are going to stop doing so yet because he’s a top 10-20 16 year old hockey player in the world.
So you think things stay cemented two years out? There were many that thought he’d be mid range in points on the team and many thought his stats were inflated because of the competition. Just wait until he really gets going. We’ll see.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
So you think things stay cemented two years out? There were many that thought he’d be mid range in points on the team and many thought his stats were inflated because of the competition. Just wait until he really gets going. We’ll see.
His stats were certainly inflated because of the competition but you still have to have talent to do what he did. Like you said things are far from cemented and they will not be cemented even after the draft.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
His stats were certainly inflated because of the competition but you still have to have talent to do what he did. Like you said things are far from cemented and they will not be cemented even after the draft.
Agree. And he did things in other leagues that were unprecedented. Special talent and I guess we’ll see how high he climbs the next couple years. It’s looking like there are some very talented defensemen that could be in the mix too.

Reactions: tealhockey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lucius has unbelievable goal-scoring stats, but his game and his draft profile is starting to remind me a lot of Alexander Holtz.

He's going to score a lot of goals at lower levels and probably also a lot in the NHL, but I've seen a few lists so far that have him as one of the best prospects in 2021. I just don't see Lucius yet at that level. I think it takes into account the stats a little too much. The goal scoring instincts are elite, as are the hands. Very good shot. Is anything else in his game projecting as more than league average? I see a player who looks like one of the safest prospects in the 2021 draft class early on. Top line goal-scoring winger who thrives on the PP. Unlikely to add much value outside of that.

Thats why right now, I see some projection problems. The trajectory reminds me a lot of Holtz, who I think people are rightly viewing as more of a middle of the first type of player as it gets closer to the 2020 draft. He obviously has time to prove me wrong. There's little wrong with being a very safe goal-scoring winger who projects as top 6 or top line a year and a half before even being drafted, and its early to be too sure about projections. The kid definitely has time to improve his projection.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lucius has unbelievable goal-scoring stats, but his game and his draft profile is starting to remind me a lot of Alexander Holtz.

He's going to score a lot of goals at lower levels and probably also a lot in the NHL, but I've seen a few lists so far that have him as one of the best prospects in 2021. I just don't see Lucius yet at that level. I think it takes into account the stats a little too much. The goal scoring instincts are elite, as are the hands. Very good shot. Is anything else in his game projecting as more than league average? I see a player who looks like one of the safest prospects in the 2021 draft class early on. Top line goal-scoring winger who thrives on the PP. Unlikely to add much value outside of that.

Thats why right now, I see some projection problems. The trajectory reminds me a lot of Holtz, who I think people are rightly viewing as more of a middle of the first type of player as it gets closer to the 2020 draft. He obviously has time to prove me wrong. There's little wrong with being a very safe goal-scoring winger who projects as top 6 or top line a year and a half before even being drafted, and its early to be too sure about projections. The kid definitely has time to improve his projection.
Still sounds like a top-10 pick in any draft! Just maybe not top-3 or -5, is that what you’re getting at?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still sounds like a top-10 pick in any draft! Just maybe not top-3 or -5, is that what you’re getting at?

I’d say more of a top 20 guy. He’s going to be one of the bigger names, but like with Holtz, I don’t know if he has the multi-dimensional skill set of a top 10 pick. There are also some similarities to Caufield with the pure goal-scoring and little else, but he’ll be treated differently by most compared to Caufield due to a size advantage.

SickMitts

Dec 14, 2019
Dude is gonna be elite 1st/2nd liner in the NHL, you better believe it. Then again, it's my opinion, so, yeah.
I have followed him (box score stats) from late last season on,
what an awesome season so far for the US national development program.

kid is going to be a top 10 pick. Watched him play in Canada this year and he has the intangibles that others don’t. The rest can be taught.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
They got the Chaz / Duke /Beniers 2021 line out there again tonight. Kids are looking good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't. He'll score goals at a good rate, but he's not Ovechkin, and he's probably going to bring very little value aside from the goals. He's the typical overrated goal-scorer at a point where most of the best players don't have anything that gets them the hype that Lucius goal numbers due. His goal numbers are very tangible to see on a boxscore. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. He's a first round pick next year. Anything in the top 10 is too early to pick him, in my opinion. He doesn't bring enough other than goals, even at the junior level.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I wouldn't. He'll score goals at a good rate, but he's not Ovechkin, and he's probably going to bring very little value aside from the goals. He's the typical overrated goal-scorer at a point where most of the best players don't have anything that gets them the hype that Lucius goal numbers due. His goal numbers are very tangible to see on a boxscore. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. He's a first round pick next year. Anything in the top 10 is too early to pick him, in my opinion. He doesn't bring enough other than goals, even at the junior level.
Agreed. Whenever I have seen him play, I’ve always come away far more impressed with multiple of his teammates.

SickMitts

Dec 14, 2019
Agreed. Whenever I have seen him play, I’ve always come away far more impressed with multiple of his teammates.

he is for sure a top 10 pick. All he does is score goals?!?! Seems to me that is an important characteristic of those that are successful in the nhl. Can’t teach goal scoring. You can teach almost everything else!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's a 1OA candidate. I'd be shocked if thats a realistic outcome.

Top five is possible, but I'd say unlikely. Some do seem to rate him somewhere in that range, so I wouldn't rule out that he's picked in the top five.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Probably injured. I ranked him # 1 on my board last year because I didn't believe in Raty. But without much conviction. No one deserves to have No. 1 status and yet there will necessarily be one. Today I am looking at Power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been listed as a scratch to start the season. Almost certainly some type of injury.

Occasionally the players are sick or have something outside of the rink that requires them to miss a few games.

There'd be no reason to scratch any player for hockey reasons when the team is struggling to ice a full lineup, let alone of the best players on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad