F Bill Arnold (2010, 108th overall, Calgary)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
NUMBER: 46
HEIGHT: 6' 0"
WEIGHT: 218
SHOOTS: RIGHT
BORN: 13 MAY 1992 (AGE 22)
BIRTHPLACE: BOSTON, MA, UNITED STATES

Played with Gaudreau and Hayes at BC

Year | Team |GP | G | A | PTS
2010-11 | Boston College | 39 | 10 | 10 | 20
2011-12 | Boston College | 42 | 17 | 19 | 36
2012-13 | Boston College | 38 | 17 | 18 | 35
2013-14 | Boston College | 40 | 15 | 39 | 59
2013-14 | Calgary Flames | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0

Thought he deserved a thread because everybody's talking about Johnny Hockey

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It was pretty evident that he benefitted greatly from have Gaudreau and Hayes as linemates. Good player but, I am not sure how much potential he has. I don't anticipate him becoming a offensive threat in the NHL, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Very underrated center. Personally I hope he turns into a bigger Stephane Yelle shutdown type player with a little more skill. An ideal 3C.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Very underrated center. Personally I hope he turns into a bigger Stephane Yelle shutdown type player with a little more skill. An ideal 3C.
Yeah I see him topping out as a 3C.

I would be extremely happy with Yelle part 2 but I think you forget Yelle was a skillful player coming out of junor

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I see him topping out as a 3C.

I would be extremely happy with Yelle part 2 but I think you forget Yelle was a skillful player coming out of junor

I know he was, he completely changed his game upon turning pro. I see Arnold being slightly more productive mostly due to his size, and he actually has great hands and a heckuva shot. But again, I think a 3C is his ceiling.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
It was pretty evident that he benefitted greatly from have Gaudreau and Hayes as linemates. Good player but, I am not sure how much potential he has. I don't anticipate him becoming a offensive threat in the NHL, but I hope he proves me wrong.

It was also pretty evident that Arnold played with Gaudreau and Hayes as linemates only last season. Arnold has had a very underrated NCAA career with solid numbers and solid defensive play.

I don't think he will become an 'offensive threat', but he will be a guy who will get 30-40pts playing on the third line and being defensively responsible and physical.

On top of that, he has additional upside. He really impressed and made the crowd go 'wow' at the rookie camp last season. He is definitely a very underrated prospect.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think he has enough of everything to be an NHLer for sure in some capacity, there are just some players that have enough offense, awareness, physicality, compete level that it's hard to not envision them as an NHL player, and Arnold is that. As mentioned, likely 3rd/4th line, not sure if he'll make it as a C though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
https://www.linkedin.com/in/bill-arnold-24b4a151

Bill is passionate about sales and business development in technology. A recently retired professional hockey player, he brings drive, discipline, accountability and a competitive instinct to every aspect of his life.
Interesting choice, he probably could of hung around the minors and Europe for awhile making pretty good money playing hockey. He's a guy though who outside of 1 USNTDP and his time with the minors had lived in the Boston area. Maybe he found a good job and figured he'd rather settle down in his home town. Can't blame him if that's the conclusion he came to over plying his trade overseas or on cramped buses through the minor leagues.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Forgot about this guy, he played on that line with Gaudreau and Kevin Hayes at BC, correct?

Strange to hear that he's out of hockey already.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Interesting choice, he probably could of hung around the minors and Europe for awhile making pretty good money playing hockey. He's a guy though who outside of 1 USNTDP and his time with the minors had lived in the Boston area. Maybe he found a good job and figured he'd rather settle down in his home town. Can't blame him if that's the conclusion he came to over plying his trade overseas or on cramped buses through the minor leagues.

I'm not sure people can appreciate how mentally draining playing a big time sport can be. Hockey was essentially a job for this kid from the moment he entered the NTDP...they owned him. I played with tons of guys that turned down an opportunity to sign a pro deal after college...they were just kind of done with hockey, and ready to live a normal life without always having to answer to someone. For some guys, the completion of a Major Junior career or a Division I career comes with a sense of freedom more than a stepping stone to the pros.

I have no idea if that's what happened to this kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if he saw pictures of his buddies going to happy hour on Friday after work on Facebook, and just sort of recognized the fact that he was ready to move on. Happens more often than we think.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not sure people can appreciate how mentally draining playing a big time sport can be. Hockey was essentially a job for this kid from the moment he entered the NTDP...they owned him. I played with tons of guys that turned down an opportunity to sign a pro deal after college...they were just kind of done with hockey, and ready to live a normal life without always having to answer to someone. For some guys, the completion of a Major Junior career or a Division I career comes with a sense of freedom more than a stepping stone to the pros.

I have no idea if that's what happened to this kid, but I wouldn't be surprised if he saw pictures of his buddies going to happy hour on Friday after work on Facebook, and just sort of recognized the fact that he was ready to move on. Happens more often than we think.
Yeah, I know quite a few people who have chosen the same. None as high-profile as Arnold. I respect his decision if that is the choice he made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad