F Benoit-Olivier Groulx - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 54th, ANA)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Benoit-Olivier Groulx is slated to be the #1 overall pick in the upcoming QMJHL draft. The Halifax Mooseheads just won the first pick in the lottery, so they may select him, otherwise, he would go 2nd overall to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.

Groulx is a 6'1, 176 lbs forward who is viewed as a fast and physical goal-scorer. His father, Benoit Groulx, is the coach of the Gatineau Olympiques and has won gold at the WJC with team Canada.

Groulx posted 51 points in 41 games this year in Midget AAA. He is eligible for the 2018 NHL draft. I'm not sure exactly where he stands within that draft, but he has to be top-15, maybe top-10. He is a very high-end prospect.

Last year's 1st overall pick, Joseph Veleno of the Saint John Sea Dogs, is also eligible for the 2018 NHL draft.

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
I would expect Jared McIsaac to go 1st overall to the hometown Mooseheads, and Groulx goes 2nd to Baie-Comeau.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I would expect Jared McIsaac to go 1st overall to the hometown Mooseheads, and Groulx goes 2nd to Baie-Comeau.

Apparently their is division between management/scouts. Some prefer Groulx, some prefer McIsaac. It will all come down to how comfortable they are with Chainey as the future #1.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Groulx picked 1st overall by the Halifax Mooseheads. The Mooseheads then trade the 7th, 16th and 24th overall picks this year and a 2017 1st to Baie-Comeau for the second overall pick. They use the 2nd overall pick to draft Jared McIsaac.

Last edited:

j c petit

Locked-out
Mar 6, 2007
In the blue paint
Groulx picked 1st overall by the Halifax Mooseheads. The Mooseheads then trade the 7th, 16th and 24th overall picks this year, as well as their top selection next year, to the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, for the second overall pick. They use the 2nd overall pick to draft Jared McIsaac.

Wasn't it the Baie-Comeau Drakkar?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Good lord that's how we do a rebuild. Mooseheads are good at it! Groulx & McIsaac will be "franchise" players for Halifax!

Can't wait to see what kind of season Groulx will have in the Q! Future 1st round pick IMO!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good lord that's how we do a rebuild. Mooseheads are good at it! Groulx & McIsaac will be "franchise" players for Halifax!

Can't wait to see what kind of season Groulx will have in the Q! Future 1st round pick IMO!
If they pull in a big name with their import pick they will have a very talented team.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
If they pull in a big name with their import pick they will have a very talented team.

Just drafted Jake Wise as well. I don't expect him to report, but if he somehow Smith and Russell make it happen, Halifax is going to be loaded.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just drafted Jake Wise as well. I don't expect him to report, but if he somehow Smith and Russell make it happen, Halifax is going to be loaded.
Big name American's rarely skip the USNDP if they have an invite now. It would be a shock if he did. Especially with the recent success of guys coming out of it. They could have a good shot though at Rubtsov or Hirshier, which is big. Hirshier might be the better option of the two as you are more likely to get him for 2 to 3 years, as I think Rubtsov will do 1 CHL year then the AHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
2 goals and a first star for Groulx tonight. Also interesting that Benoit Groulx Sr has a 16 year old son who's 6'3, with him being 5'10 max.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
2 goals and a first star for Groulx tonight. Also interesting that Benoit Groulx Sr has a 16 year old son who's 6'3, with him being 5'10 max.

Look at his mom.

1210873-benoit-olivier-groulx-enfile-chandail.jpg

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
^^ who is the guy on the right?

Does anyone know his mother's ethnicity? (sorry, I know that's pretty rude...but I was just curious).

Really looking forward to watching Groulx this season - Halifax will certainly be an interesting team to follow.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
He's really turned it up a notch lately. 12 goals, 10 assists in 27 games now.

He could be something special by next year.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Not only is Hishier away but almost as importantly for the Mooseheads Connor Moynihan has been out. Two of their top three offensive skaters. The Moose will struggle but it's pretty nice to have the young up and coming stars there to push for time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad