F Benjamin Kevan - Los Angeles Jr. Kings 15U AAA, 15U AAA (2025 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thought he was the second best of the American forwards on the Select team. I think he also had the second most points at the tournament (and on the team), so that lines up too.

He's a right-shot winger that is a triple threat with passing, shooting, and dangling. He has good hockey sense and skates well. He's listed at 5'11, so he's not that short either, although growing to 6'0 or taller would help. He's very likely going to be a draft pick, I would presume, but is that a 5th round pick or a late first round pick or early second round pick, I can't possibly know now, but I can't say I was believing he's so good and they robbed him of an NTDP spot. There are probably like 5 or 6 wingers on that NTDP team that are going to be as skilled or better. He was a first round pick in the WHL US Draft and a first round pick in the USHL draft. I suspect he'll play one or the other next season, as he's likely a junior caliber player in his 16 year old year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s a big pickup for them. The last big recruit they’ve gotten was Doan, and he has connections to the area, so it was easier for them to recruit him. Kevan is an out of state player. Now let’s see if they can continue making inroads. One very good recruit is only an isolated example.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's not a big time recruit but Noah Lapointe recently committed to ASU as well.

I have no idea how good Kevan is or will be but if he becomes a prospect of note, I hope this commit doesn't stick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not a big time recruit but Noah Lapointe recently committed to ASU as well.

I have no idea how good Kevan is or will be but if he becomes a prospect of note, I hope this commit doesn't stick.
Didn’t know that. That bodes well for ASU then. Lapointe could be the most underrated of his NTDP year. I think he’s similar to Henry Thrun. I think he’s a bigger recruit than Kevan.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nice start to the season so far in the USHL with 8 points in his first 7 games. Tied for his team lead in scoring despite having missed 3 games. Putting up a robust 5 shots per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bump. I know some scouts were surprised he wasn't selected for the USNTDP.

11 goals and 21 points in 19 games for 1.11 PPG in the USHL as a 16 year-old. Leads his team in goals and points.

For comparison to other recent 16 year-olds (non-USNTDP):
- Mack Celebrini: 1.72 PPG (yeah, nuts)
- Matthew Savoie: 1.12 PPG
- Mac Swanson: 0.96 PPG
- Trevor Connelly: 0.82 PPG
- Jayden Perron: 0.75 PPG

This is upper echelon production (as an aside - the amount of non-USNTDP and even non-American talent in the USHL is pretty awesome these days compared to sifting through even 5 years ago). He's also 5-11 and 165 per EP right now which is a solid base for a 16 year-old.

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023
Bump. I know some scouts were surprised he wasn't selected for the USNTDP.

11 goals and 21 points in 19 games for 1.11 PPG in the USHL as a 16 year-old. Leads his team in goals and points.

For comparison to other recent 16 year-olds (non-USNTDP):
- Mack Celebrini: 1.72 PPG (yeah, nuts)
- Matthew Savoie: 1.12 PPG
- Mac Swanson: 0.96 PPG
- Trevor Connelly: 0.82 PPG
- Jayden Perron: 0.75 PPG

This is upper echelon production (as an aside - the amount of non-USNTDP and even non-American talent in the USHL is pretty awesome these days compared to sifting through even 5 years ago). He's also 5-11 and 165 per EP right now which is a solid base for a 16 year-old.
While none of the ntdp 07s are ppg in the ushl

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
While none of the ntdp 07s are ppg in the ushl

True but clearly the Bucs have made Kevan a focal point of their offense so it’s hard to compare.

I know the 07 USNTDP numbers aren’t eye-popping right now but it kind of reminds me of the ‘05 class. The ‘05’s struggled to get much traction as 17 year-olds - nobody was even close to PPG in USHL play - and for a while they really had to live in the shadow of that much ballyhooed ‘04 group. Hell, Ryan Leonard didn’t even get .5 PPG at that age.

Same with the ‘07’s…following the Eiserman/Hagens led ‘06 class was always going to be hard and even if they don’t produce a guy at that level - I can almost guarantee out of the likes of Potter and Fondrk and McKinney and Tretheway etc, you’ll get some guys who explode by next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 19+22=41 points in 43 games.

He’s a good player. I find that almost everything he’s solid at. The slight weakness is that he’s a 5’11 winger. You’d like him to be very good at one thing to feel comfortable he’ll be an NHL’er. The hockey sense is probably the best part of his game, but nothing I see is elite. With the way he plays he could struggle as he gets to pro hockey. However, he’s already a very good junior player, and I think he’ll probably be at least a 3rd or 4th round pick next year. Potentially as high as 2nd round.

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
52 in 52. PPG so far. I haven't caught Des Moines all season but it'll be good to see him at the Hlinka to get a better sense where he stacks up.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
57 points in 59 games in his 16 year old season in the USHL. Committed to Arizona State. Sun Devils fans & locals needing to fill a void with the Coyotes leaving: start following Ben Kevan, as he will be a big part of the Sun Devils ascension up the NCHC standings, Pairwise Rankings, and NCAA Hockey landscape.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad