Prospect Info: F Austin Wong (2018 7th, 215th overall)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I like Wong. Some guys I know who scout had him as a possible late round steal. His rights are owned by Lethbridge in the WHL but I think he has his mind set on Harvard. Hes got a first rate motor and decent hands. Yes he puts up PIMs but thats because he is involved in a good way

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like Wong. Some guys I know who scout had him as a possible late round steal. His rights are owned by Lethbridge in the WHL but I think he has his mind set on Harvard. Hes got a first rate motor and decent hands. Yes he puts up PIMs but thats because he is involved in a good way

Nice to hear some good things about him. In any case we likely have 4 years before we need to make a call on him. One more year in junior and 3 in college is my guess on his arc.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This is my favourite Jets pick of 2018, a very possible steal in the 7th.

The good:
- fast skater with nice acceleration and balance
- can make and recieve passes at top speed
- wicked one-timer
- goes to the dirty areas and scores garbage goals
- very tenacious on the forecheck
- strong, stocky build put to good use in the corners
- hits everything that moves but much harder than Tanev!
- agitates opponents and draws penalties
- great work ethic and drive

The bad:
- takes a lot of penalties (lead the AJHL in minutes)
- dives
- throws borderline dirty hits
- short in stature

I think the good far outweighs the bad and I see a lot of upside regardless of his draft position. He comes from a farm family in Alberta and has that 'from-the-farm' work ethic. One of his older brothers plays in the AHL for Chicago and the other brother coaches junior hockey. He had to get his grades to 90%+ to enter Harvard and to me this shows a lot of maturity for a 17 year old. I think we'll see him play all 4 seasons at Harvard (because why the heck not?) and then he'll be ready to help out with the Jets. I think at worst he's a Tanev energy type, and at best he's a Gallagher, while Roussell is his middle range in my opinion.

Reactions: ruffus23

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Any chance in hell this guy doesn't finish school (does harvard have a communications degree?:)) before signing.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Any chance in hell this guy doesn't finish school (does harvard have a communications degree?:)) before signing.
A friend went to Harvard and played lacrosse. They do not screw around with atheletes who don’t take academics seriously. No slack for jocks at all.

Reactions: mazmin

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
I definitely saw a thread for him yesterday, but it disappeared.

There was a thread for him on draft day and in that thread there was a clip (facebook, I think?) of Wong knocking some dude out that was looking for trouble. Wondering if anyone has that clip. I've searched everywhere for it.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The rumour on him is he plans on playing all 4 years at Harvard. Which involves some risk but as a 7th round pick the Jets have his rights if he changes his mind. Worth the risk IMO.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Lots of time for this prospect to mature and good coaching will hopefully get him to tone things down without completely neutering him.

He’s not likely in the conversation with the Jets/Moose until he’s about 23 years old.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Poor guy didn't even get a thread on his draft day.
I gave up trying to post one after submitting three or four Vallati threads...

The guy reminds me of Evingson last year: a sick name, great production, the realisation that he plays in a weaker league, still rooting very hard for the guy to become a stud for the f*** of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad