F Alexis Lafreniere (2020, 1st, NYR) part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he only has one point, but he's clearly an NHL'er. If you watch the games, he absolutely looks like a guy whose one of the 12 best forwards on an NHL team.

Even if he struggles this season compared to what we'd expect, he's good enough to play in the league, and those suggesting he be sent somewhere else are not watching the games.

I'd like him to play better, but the solution is not to send him anywhere else. It's for him to adjust quicker and play better. This is the appropriate league for him to play in.

I also said the exact opposite about Kakko last year, so its not a matter of wanting to keep a player on the NHL team whose struggling.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I know he only has one point, but he's clearly an NHL'er. If you watch the games, he absolutely looks like a guy whose one of the 12 best forwards on an NHL team.

Even if he struggles this season compared to what we'd expect, he's good enough to play in the league, and those suggesting he be sent somewhere else are not watching the games.

I'd like him to play better, but the solution is not to send him anywhere else. It's for him to adjust quicker and play better. This is the appropriate league for him to play in.

I also said the exact opposite about Kakko last year, so its not a matter of wanting to keep a player on the NHL team whose struggling.
That's disappointing, given that he was hyped like he was the second coming of Christ.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He doesn’t have as elite IQ as most thought. He’s been disappointing plain and simple. I’m pulling for him though as he seems like a good kid. And I like the Rangers.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He doesn’t have as elite IQ as most thought. He’s been disappointing plain and simple. I’m pulling for him though as he seems like a good kid. And I like the Rangers.
You don’t just lose hockey sense, and it has been obvious since he was 16 that that was his greatest strength.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Lafreniere looks fine to me. A little too pass-first and maybe a bit gun-shy...but his skill, speed, movement, etc look like an NHLer. The points will come.

Kakko is opposite story... appears to make little impact on game.

Laf is clearly the better of the two

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Potential? Probably. He's ahead of where Kakko was a year ago (although Kakko's only eight months older), but Kakko has been better to start this season. He's clearly improved. A little unlucky he went on the COVID list because he was starting to turn his game around. Saying that, neither has been all that good.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Potential? Probably. He's ahead of where Kakko was a year ago (although Kakko's only eight months older), but Kakko has been better to start this season. He's clearly improved. A little unlucky he went on the COVID list because he was starting to turn his game around. Saying that, neither has been all that good.

Just from the games I have seen, without looking at any stats, Laf certainly passed eyeball test better than Kakko did. I thought he was better player right now (and for future).

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
That's disappointing, given that he was hyped like he was the second coming of Christ.

nobody said that. Pre-draft and even pre-lotto, the consensus was that he would be a star player and the undisputed #1 of the draft, but not on a Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid/Matthews level.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Lafreniere looks fine to me. A little too pass-first and maybe a bit gun-shy...but his skill, speed, movement, etc look like an NHLer. The points will come.

Kakko is opposite story... appears to make little impact on game.

Why you even bringing up Kakko? Awful to compare a kid who has played a whole season vs 7 games. And yes, Kakko has been better this year but that is expected.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Why you even bringing up Kakko? Awful to compare a kid who has played a whole season vs 7 games. And yes, Kakko has been better this year but that is expected.
Well, I was saying Laf actually looked better. And like it or not, it is not 'awful' to compare these two (both 19-year old wingers on NYR drafted in top-2). They are going to be compared for a while.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I can bet my left nut he wont be the best player of the draft. Its early but lots of red flags. I think the best for him to succeed is let him go back to minor club and find himself. Why ruin him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad