F Alexis Joseph - Lanaudière Pionniers (QBAAA R) - Draft NHL 2027

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Born June 16, 2009. This is my first name for the 2027 NHL Draft. This player has achieved two performances that are out of the ordinary. Recently, he has just outclassed the international Pee-Wee tournament organized in Quebec with 17 points in 5 games. During the 2021-2022 season, he played 7 games in QBAAA R (2nd level) for 17 points (best PPG in the league). He will probably be too strong for this league and should play in QBAAA next year. He already has a good build for his age. Fun to compare his performance with Lafrenière in the coming years.

The next Q star ?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Born June 16, 2009. This is my first name for the 2027 NHL Draft. This player has achieved two performances that are out of the ordinary. Recently, he has just outclassed the international Pee-Wee tournament organized in Quebec with 17 points in 5 games. During the 2021-2022 season, he played 7 games in QBAAA R (2nd level) for 17 points (best PPG in the league). He will probably be too strong for this league and should play in QBAAA next year. He already has a good build for his age. Fun to compare his performance with Lafrenière in the coming years.

The next Q star ?

watched the kid play a few games this year in Bantam...he is something else, I can see him playing U18 next year in Quebec as an underager....super smart player, excellent vision and passing skills and an even better goal scorer to go along with slick hands and hard work...IMO this kid is one of the most talented kids i have see at this age from Quebec...lol im not going to say ever because I watched everyone of Sidney Crosby and Nathan Mackinnons games since peewee

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Is he better than scantlebury or rozzi

To me, the better hockey player of the 3 is by far Scantlebury. He has the hockey sense and skill of Rozzi but with no weakness in skating or compete level. Scantlebury has 50 points as an underager and the 2nd guy on his team has 9 points. I have never seen anything like it to be honest.

However, we will have to see if Scantlebury develops physically to the extent that Alexis Joseph has developed. For Joseph, you almost already have a pro frame to go with his scoring ability, so you have less question marks than with the other two. But purely in terms of hockey sense, skating and skill, I would rate Scantlebury and Rozzi ahead personally. 3 good prospects, there are other 2009s that really look good as well in Quebec, should be a good year.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Scantlebury seems to be the most talented. He performs in a lousy team.

But bantam hockey in Quebec is not very revealing. We will know more in QMAAA.

Simoneau was better than Lafreniere until the Bantam.

It was in QMAAA that Lafreniere emerged as an elite talent. Same thing for Bedard. U15, Kosick did as well as Bedard. But U18 is something else.

From one level to another, the deal changes. Masse now appears as a 2024 top 10. But before, he wasn't very strong. The Italian slips more and more.

3 elite talents in 1 year with better stats than Lafreniere in Bantam, that seems unlikely to me for Quebec but it's too early to say.

We are too far from pro hockey.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I was at the Jeux du Quebec and he completely destroy the tournament ! Probably the best player I ever seen at that age !

Fun story, he was coach by Jason Pominville in that tournament

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Alexis Joseph will play in QMAAA with Esther-Blondin as U15 player.

With a PPG of 1.5, it could achieve exceptional status. The physique seems to be ready.

I had discovered this player at the Pee-Wee 2022 tournament, he was obviously dominant.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Alexis Joseph will play in QMAAA with Esther-Blondin as U15 player.

With a PPG of 1.5, it could achieve exceptional status. The physique seems to be ready.

I had discovered this player at the Pee-Wee 2022 tournament, he was obviously dominant.
I figured he would stick in the U-18 league this year. He wouldn't have be challenged at all playing Bantam again this year.

Curious if James Scantlebury will be given the same opportunity. He was basically on an island last year.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Anyone watching this guy? He's tied for the most pts by any rookie, producing at the same clip as 1 OA candidates Rozzi and L'Italien who are a year older than he is.

Any shot at ES? I know he has been considered a future star for a few years now and seems like he isn't slowing down

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Anyone watching this guy? He's tied for the most pts by any rookie, producing at the same clip as 1 OA candidates Rozzi and L'Italien who are a year older than he is.

Any shot at ES? I know he has been considered a future star for a few years now and seems like he isn't slowing down
Tweet at Steph Leroux and ask hé very often answers tweets and has knowledge about this kind of thing

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He's out producing all of the 08s in u18aaa right now and sits 6th in the league scoring.

At 6'2 you'd have to think he's got a shot as ES

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Player I'm following closely this year. I was wondering about his eligibility for the 2024 QMJHL draft. Given that he is already better than all the players born in 2008, I think he will get it.

The QMAAA league had already announced that starting this year U15 players would be much rarer to play in the league and Joseph was still an exception.

Asked where he stands in relation to Rozzi and Scantlebury, we know today that he is already better than Rozzi who is a year older.

Harder to compare with Scantlebury. I would tend to think so, from an NHL perspective.

Scantlebury is a magician, a soloist. Very technical but he will have to reinvent himself in a more elitist context. Very bad idea to go to the USA to play in 14AAA (U15 therefore Bantam). This leads him to not improve his game. He would have learned a lot more in QMAAA (I think he would have obtained eligibility).

Joseph has all the necessary qualities. He has a very advantageous physique, an elite shot, he is developing professional playing habits. His skating is less good than the other areas of play but is still good. Now in my mind, I will compare his performances with those of Lafrenière.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
A bit surprised considering he likely would have been the heavy favourite to go #1 based on skills and not only because he would be a year younger.
The article says he will play another year In that league, but you have to think they will explore all options regarding prep school etc as well.

By all accounts, he's considerably better than Veleno at this stage (who likely did not warrant ES if we're being honest)

With Dupont out west potentially applying he could have been in competition to get it, I can't see HC giving 2 in one year.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
A bit surprised considering he likely would have been the heavy favourite to go #1 based on skills and not only because he would be a year younger.
The article says he will play another year In that league, but you have to think they will explore all options regarding prep school etc as well.

By all accounts, he's considerably better than Veleno at this stage (who likely did not warrant ES if we're being honest)

With Dupont out west potentially applying he could have been in competition to get it, I can't see HC giving 2 in one year.
Yeah I think Dupont (coincidentally another Québec name) is a more deserving candidate than Joseph. I don’t know how that would works if different players apply from different leagues and if Hockey Canada would only grant one exception per the entire country per birth year.

That being said I don’t think it will be very useful for him to return and play M18, I don’t know if he speaks English but a western provincial Junior A league or American Prep School might be worth exploring.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Yeah I think Dupont (coincidentally another Québec name) is a more deserving candidate than Joseph. I don’t know how that would works if different players apply from different leagues and if Hockey Canada would only grant one exception per the entire country per birth year.

That being said I don’t think it will be very useful for him to return and play M18, I don’t know if he speaks English but a western provincial Junior A league or American Prep School might be worth exploring.
He can't play western provincial junior A unless he can get around the residency (unless it is the BCHL). Hockey Canada has residency rules until you turn 17.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
He can't play western provincial junior A unless he can get around the residency (unless it is the BCHL). Hockey Canada has residency rules until you turn 17.
When you have a kid that special, you move out to BC with him. Makes no sense for him to stick to M18 in Quebec next year. If I'm parents, BC or top U.S Prep School.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
When you have a kid that special, you move out to BC with him. Makes no sense for him to stick to M18 in Quebec next year. If I'm parents, BC or top U.S Prep School.
If the family were really that concerned, they would have applied for exceptional status (he is currently a little bit behind Veleno's pace at the same age, but his production picked up).

That being said, all signs indicate that everyone involved wants him to play 2 years of midget and work on his game so that he can be a better all around player when he plays major junior.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Just to provide some context on the ES issue, while recognizing that stats can vary considerably based on strength of league/team during any given year:
  • Notable players that played Midget in Quebec at 14 include: Veleno, Samuel Poulin, Guillaume Latendresse, Thomas Bordeleau, Nic Roy, Tristan Luneau and Nathan Lecompte.
  • Joseph's points per game is 1.19, which is less than Xavier Simoneau (1.34), Veleno (1.27), and Samuel Poulin (1.26), but higher than Bordeleau (0.95) and Roy (0.72). I would note that most of these guys were early birthdays, so they turned 15 fairly early after Xmas, making Joseph's numbers a bit more impressive.
  • Of the players listed above, all but Veleno played their next (and second) 15 year-old season in the Quebec Midget league.
  • His points per game is roughly equal to that of Nathan Lecompte, who was drafted 4th overall in the most recent QMJHL draft and is on pace for 33 points in the QMJHL this year, during his 14 year old Midget season (1.18).
  • Samuel Poulin was also a physically developed player like Joseph at 14, and put up numbers that were comparable or exceeded high ranked 15-year old players in the league at 14. Like Poulin, Lecompte also scored at a similar or higher rate at 14 than top ranked 15-year olds such as Maxim Masse.
All this said, while I think Joseph will certainly be a high end prospect and likely slam dunk 1st overall pick in next years QMJHL draft, I don't think it is a travesty that he will not be applying for ES and will need to play a second season of Midget in Quebec.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad