Extend Mike Santorelli!!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The leafs would be smart to get him on another short term contract, for a reasonable cap hit (if possible).

Problem though is already eating up 5+ million on the bottom six, and the leafs will need to use what little capspace they have on their RFAs. Not much cash left to be able to give him the raise he'll be looking for.

The Leafs would be smart to trade him at his peak value later in the year if he continues to play like this. The Leafs have done this so many times and it's hurt them, they go after guys who have career years pay through the ying yang to get them here and become complete flops. Instead of extending him get some assets and move him out. He'd be one of the first guys I move actually for these exact reasons. In any other year Santorelli probably doesn't even get you a 3rd or 4th..this year however we could probably get a 2nd for him.

Think about it long term, do we really want a 29-30 year old player taking up 3-4 mil in cap or do we want another pick in a deep draft? I don't even have to think twice about what this franchise needs.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
When players like Santorelli have great years like this, use it for your own advantage, we all know his next contract is probably going to be more than what he's truly worth as a player. 3-4 mil on his next deal wouldn't be a shocker but again to me he's never produced as a 3-4 million dollar player up until now. So why take that risk and spend more money, more cap space on a 3rd liner? This franchise has to stop doing this, we're just spinning our wheels. We need to grab as many picks and prospects as possible and start fresh. Santorelli will never be the difference for this franchise.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The Leafs would be smart to trade him at his peak value later in the year if he continues to play like this. The Leafs have done this so many times and it's hurt them, they go after guys who have career years pay through the ying yang to get them here and become complete flops. Instead of extending him get some assets and move him out. He'd be one of the first guys I move actually for these exact reasons. In any other year Santorelli probably doesn't even get you a 3rd or 4th..this year however we could probably get a 2nd for him.

Think about it long term, do we really want a 29-30 year old player taking up 3-4 mil in cap or do we want another pick in a deep draft? I don't even have to think twice about what this franchise needs.

So the Leafs pick up very valuable player who works hard at both ends of the ice, plays the pk and they should trade him for a pick that will likely take 3-5 years to see if he can be an NHLer let alone be as good as Santa? Clearly making the team worse is the goal. Why not trade Komorov and Kessel as well? Get picks and maybe they turn out down the road? Trading 3rd liners like Winnik/Santa and Komorov are no big deal. Its all about scoring and 3rd liners can be found anywhere and are often in the minors and AHL. :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So the Leafs pick up very valuable player who works hard at both ends of the ice, plays the pk and they should trade him for a pick that will likely take 3-5 years to see if he can be an NHLer let alone be as good as Santa? Clearly making the team worse is the goal. Why not trade Komorov and Kessel as well? Get picks and maybe they turn out down the road? Trading 3rd liners like Winnik/Santa and Komorov are no big deal. Its all about scoring and 3rd liners can be found anywhere and are often in the minors and AHL. :laugh:

Leafs have limited Cap resources for next year and have to sign Bernier, Kadri and Franson.

If Nonis starts handing out contracts to players like Santa and Winnik he will be in a tough spot with higher priority re-signings.

Santa is a UFA and can be delt and still be resigned as an UFA this summer.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Leafs have limited Cap resources for next year and have to sign Bernier, Kadri and Franson.

If Nonis starts handing out contracts to players like Santa and Winnik he will be in a tough spot with higher priority re-signings.

Everyone and their granparents know teams are going to have a challenge signing and re-singing players next year. Nonis will do right by the team as he always does. The notion that Winnik and Santa are not valuable and can easily be replaced is a very foolish notion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Everyone and their granparents know teams are going to have a challenge signing and re-singing players next year. Nonis will do right by the team as he always does. The notion that Winnik and Santa are not valuable and can easily be replaced is a very foolish notion.

How do you suggest Nonis resign Kadri, Bernier, Franson, Santorelli and Winnik with the ~$4mil salary increase?

The Leafs currently have about $600k free space at their current salaries.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
How do you suggest Nonis resign Kadri, Bernier, Franson, Santorelli and Winnik with the ~$4mil salary increase?

Well unlike most here, I have no experience in a managerial role in the NHL nor do I have any professional scouting experience as many here do. What I can tell you, is the Leafs have been devoid of good 3rd line players that excel on special teams, work hard, and can play up and down the lineup. I believe Nonis and company hold value in the Winniks and Santa's, and will do their best to find a way to keep one or two. How that happens, I will leave that up to the experts.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

You can safely bet Franson likely will be going elsewhere.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

its a salary cap world though

you either pay santa 3.5M-4M area next year (given his current performance) or another team does and we lose him for nothing

or we get a 2nd round pick that is a controllable asset for a number of years.

You dont always find guys like Santa, I want to keep him but he isnt the kind of piece the leafs should keep. As much as you think he is playing for the leafs right now he is playing for his contract next year. He wants to get paid, why not get futures instead of being the one to pay him?

Look at what the hawks did to the leafs with Bolland, thats the kind of thing we need to do with santa.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
its a salary cap world though

you either pay santa 3.5M-4M area next year (given his current performance) or another team does and we lose him for nothing

or we get a 2nd round pick that is a controllable asset for a number of years.

You dont always find guys like Santa, I want to keep him but he isnt the kind of piece the leafs should keep. As much as you think he is playing for the leafs right now he is playing for his contract next year. He wants to get paid, why not get futures instead of being the one to pay him?

Look at what the hawks did to the leafs with Bolland, thats the kind of thing we need to do with santa.

2nd round picks more often that not don't even make the NHL. Actually Santa is the exact player this team has been missing for many years. Arguably one of the hardest workers, can play up and down the lineup, plays special teams and contributes offensively. Teams win in the playoffs with players like Santa and Winnik. Did you happen to see who the Conn Smythe trophy winner was last year? Or how about the MVP for the Duks when they won the cup?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
You know, i made this thread... But i am starting to have a change of heart.

I still like the way Santa is playing even though hes cooling off a bit, but after seeing a guy like Crouse at the WJC i would definitely move out Franson for a late 1st and Santo for a 2nd round pick and try and maybe parlay it into another pick in the top 20.. The top 20 for this years draft is STACKED. I want 2 picks in the top 20 badly.

And as mentioned giving Santa 4 mil per is not ideal for this club, he is a hard worker but i find the hardest workers are in there 20s, once your on the wrong side of 30 your work ethic starts to deteriorate. Clarksons seems to be all but gone already, either that or the NHL has become to high pace for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well unlike most here, I have no experience in a managerial role in the NHL nor do I have any professional scouting experience as many here do. What I can tell you, is the Leafs have been devoid of good 3rd line players that excel on special teams, work hard, and can play up and down the lineup. I believe Nonis and company hold value in the Winniks and Santa's, and will do their best to find a way to keep one or two. How that happens, I will leave that up to the experts.

That explains why you simply say "sign everyone" as you're not factoring in Leafs Cap, whereas others can see you can't pay everyone unless some players are moving out first.

No one questions that Santa and Winnik have value but if you check out they have been on 4 teams is the past 4 years because teams sign their more important players and have to let the depth players walk.

Personally I like Santorelli but much like MacArthur and Raymond and other productive players in the past the Leafs had to walk away because of Cap costs.

Oct 19, 2007

Leafs and many other teams can get players like Santa in the offseason for a dime a dozen.He looks good because he is on the Leafs .If he was as good as Leafs fans think he is, other teams wouls have offered him more money to play elsewhere. Rather than re-sign him the leafs should try to trade him. They may get a third or fourth round draft pick..JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad