News Article: Experiment in Kings News Tracking - LA Kings News and Knowledge Graph

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Hey all, I've been experimenting with tracking LA Kings related news, making connections between articles / videos / podcasts and players mentioned.

LA Kings News and Knowledge Graph - lakings-graph.com

The genesis idea was to track the various times that Mark Yannetti has been interviewed and revealed philosophy, strategy, and tactics in scouting and drafting. Of course, that's something that I haven't done (it's curated by me, not some kind of automated scraping). At this point, the goal is to have a place where I can go when I wonder where that mention of player X is or interview with staff member Y was.

For example, catch up with Brandt Clarke mentions:
Brandt Clarke coverage at lakings-graph.com

Or Pre-Season News:
2022-2023 Pre-Season Training Camp coverage on lakings-graph.com

Would love any feedback on how interesting or useful others find it.

[EDIT: The actual site. *sigh*]

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This looks super cool, I just don't really know how to use it 😅

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
This looks super cool, I just don't really know how to use it 😅
Oh, thanks for mentioning that.

The idea is that the Regular Season page will have a link to every article I can find that mentions the Kings or a player. Each article page will have a link to the original article as well as list which players and team/league/press staff is mentioned/quoted/interviewed in a significant way, a brief summary, and quotes if there were interesting ones. I'm not copy/pasting the original article text in, but the link is there.

There are some paid subscription sites, The Forum Report, The Athletic, ESPN+, the LA Times. Maybe you could decide whether it's worth subscribing to those services by browsing through the list of articles to see the number from each. Jon Rosen, for example, is putting out a firehouse of content that's quite different from the LAKI articles at The Forum Report (58 regular season articles to date). The Athletic isn't anywhere near as frequent (14 that I see right now in the regular season, 2 from pre-season). Helene Elliot's columns at the LA Times are even less so (4 in the regular season, 2 pre-season, and 1 season preview).

So you can go to the 2022-2023 Regular Season page and see a list of all those articles from most recent to least recent.

OR

You could go to the Kings roster or Reign roster pages and look at the individual players. On each player page is a list of all the articles where that player had a significant mention. Again, that link takes you to the article page with information about the article (author, other players mentioned, staff mentioned, and of course a link to the article so you can actually read it).

Want to see all articles that mentioned Gabe Vilardi so far (for example)?

Does that help explain the purpose?

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Site is updated with all articles I could find through 2022-11-02. If I'm missing sources, let me know.

The idea is that the Regular Season page will have a link to every article I can find that mentions the Kings or a player. Each article page will have a link to the original article as well as list which players and team/league/press staff is mentioned/quoted/interviewed in a significant way, a brief summary, and quotes if there were interesting ones. I'm not copy/pasting the original article text in, but the link is there.

There are some paid subscription sites, The Forum Report, The Athletic, ESPN+, the LA Times. Maybe you could decide whether it's worth subscribing to those services by browsing through the list of articles to see the number from each. Jon Rosen, for example, is putting out a firehouse of content that's quite different from the LAKI articles at The Forum Report (58 regular season articles to date). The Athletic isn't anywhere near as frequent (14 that I see right now in the regular season, 2 from pre-season). Helene Elliot's columns at the LA Times are even less so (4 in the regular season, 2 pre-season, and 1 season preview).

So you can go to the 2022-2023 Regular Season page and see a list of all those articles from most recent to least recent.

OR

You could go to the Kings roster or Reign roster pages and look at the individual players. On each player page is a list of all the articles where that player had a significant mention. Again, that link takes you to the article page with information about the article (author, other players mentioned, staff mentioned, and of course a link to the article so you can actually read it).

Oh, medium term, I would like to start capturing the various podcasts with interesting analysis. ATKM's 10 questions episodes. Hockey Royalty's Top 5 questions episode. Etc. Same with some of the Kings-focused YouTube channels. If they had thorough descriptions and tags for players mentioned, it would be a lot easier.

Long term, I'd love to take notes on every Mark Yannetti interview via podcast or on YouTube and start to pull together the stories and philosophy.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

OR

Greatly, thanks!

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Starting to work on the backlog of articles from the Fiala trade.
The one I didn't realize had such video scouting depth was:

There was some more subtle analysis of the Wild cap situation than I had thought of:

I have all the articles listed even if I haven't processed them into overview pages. If there were any from that time frame that seem especially relevant that I'm missing., I'd love to hear about them.

Also got around to adding the articles that got added after the Blackhawks game to 2022-11-10 articles.
2022-2023 Regular Season lakings-graph.com
Not a ton there, but this one about team culture was interesting.

Working on today's articles now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad