Movies: Expend4bles

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
None of the previous films lived up to the expectations. Pretty dull overall. The only interesting thing about this one is having Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais part of the cast.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The cast is quite a step down from the 3rd one, which included Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes and Jet Li. I've never heard of most of the new names. One of the few redeeming aspects of the previous three was the opportunity to see a bunch of action stars together. I can't say that this one excites me when it's mostly just Stallone and Statham and it seems like Stallone is taking a backseat, going from first in the cast list to last and barely in the trailer.

Last edited:

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
The first 2 were good, because a team up of action stars in that scale was a novelty at the time.

Since then, it seems like every action franchise is a team-up movie (Fast franchise, Mission Impossible, John Wick), and the Expendables franchise is left with a bunch of grandpas.

And I'm curious which movie was the first to use a number in place of a letter to show which installment it is. Everyone is doing it now and it's starting to get annoying.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The cast is quite a step down from the 3rd one, which included Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes and Jet Li. I've never heard of most of the new names. One of the few redeeming aspects of the previous three was the opportunity to see a bunch of action stars together. I can't say that this one excites me when it's mostly just Stallone and Statham and it seems like Stallone is taking a backseat, going from first in the cast list to last and barely in the trailer.
Dolph is back also as is Randy Couture but ya looks like they are trying to transition to a younger group for maybe more movies long term for a younger generation of viewers? Trying to be the next Fast Franchise. Supposedly Eddie Hall the strongman is in it also.

Looks like my thought was right from Wikipedia

• Sylvester Stallone as Barney Ross: The leader of the Expendables. Stallone confirmed that the film would be his final appearance as Barney Ross, with Statham expecting to take over the series after his departure.[7] Due to this, his role in the film was limited.[3]

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dolph is back also as is Randy Couture but ya looks like they are trying to transition to a younger group for maybe more movies long term for a younger generation of viewers? Trying to be the next Fast Franchise. Supposedly Eddie Hall the strongman is in it also.

Looks like my thought was right from Wikipedia

• Sylvester Stallone as Barney Ross: The leader of the Expendables. Stallone confirmed that the film would be his final appearance as Barney Ross, with Statham expecting to take over the series after his departure.[7] Due to this, his role in the film was limited.[3]
I read that Stallone initially backed away from any involvement, so I figured that he reconsidered in order to give his character a send-off and help the transition... and because they offered him a lot of money for barely any work.

I had the same thought as you when watching the trailer, that it looks like they're trying to make it the next Fast franchise (which isn't a model that really appeals to me). In addition to being an ensemble action franchise, the Fast movies are seemingly a lot more popular worldwide than they are domestically, like the Expendables movies. The last Expendables made only $39M domestically, but $175M internationally. Around 80% of the gross coming from international markets is similar to the last few Fast movies.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I read that Stallone initially backed away from any involvement, so I imagine that he reconsidered in order to give his character a send-off and help the transition... and because they offered him a lot of money for barely any work.

I had the same thought as you when watching the trailer, that it looks like they're trying to make it the next Fast & Furious franchise, which isn't a model that really appeals to me. Speaking of Fast & Furious, those movies are seemingly a lot more popular worldwide than they are domestically, and the Expendables movies are the same way. The last Expendables made only $39M domestically, but $175M internationally. That nearly 80% of the gross coming from international markets mirrors the last few Fast & Furious movies.
Ya I think people here get tired of them faster for some reason.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
1 and 2 were legitimately fun watches. 2 is basically one big circlejerk of all the big name 80s action stars getting their shit in but it ended up being self-aware enough to be enjoyable. 3 was absolute dogshit though.

Kinda sucks Terry Crews isn't coming back for this one but I completely understand his reasoning for not doing so.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The only thing I remember about 3 is that Antonio Banderas single handedly tries to make it an entertaining movie. He fails. But it's a noble effort.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They gave Chuck Norris only a brief moments... Very sad. And therefore this franchise will never meet their potential.

In the future, they should make some crossover with Fast and Furious OR John Wick universe. That could save them.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
And I'm curious which movie was the first to use a number in place of a letter to show which installment it is. Everyone is doing it now and it's starting to get annoying.
Did that trend start with Se7en? I know it's not a sequel, but I can't think of anything prior to that in film. In games, 2 Hot 2 Handle (not a sequel either) was a 4 games compilation and that dates back to 1991...

Yeah... I know I didn't answer your question from 3 months ago...

Reactions: trojansoilers

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just got back from the theaters and it was bad. I've seen them all before and there are redeeming qualities to them, and very straightforward action movies with some funny dialogue. This had none of that and a lot of green screen. Wouldn't recommend checking it out. 4/10

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
went to the well once too many times with the 80's memory train.

They gave Chuck Norris only a brief moments... Very sad. And therefore this franchise will never meet their potential.

In the future, they should make some crossover with Fast and Furious OR John Wick universe. That could save them.
That is all Norris wanted to do.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Did that trend start with Se7en? I know it's not a sequel, but I can't think of anything prior to that in film. In games, 2 Hot 2 Handle (not a sequel either) was a 4 games compilation and that dates back to 1991...

Yeah... I know I didn't answer your question from 3 months ago...
YA Se7ven (1995)is the first I can think of, others include

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
S1m0ne (2002)
Pokemon 4Ever (2002)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
L4yer Cak3 (2005)
Lucky Number S7even (2006)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It cost $100M and has made only $33M so far, over half of that from China. It hasn't been out long, but it's projected to come in #7 at the domestic box office this weekend, so its chances of even coming close to breaking even appear to be very slim to none.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I had no idea this movie existed until i saw a review in my YouTube suggestions. I don't think this was marketed at all.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This movie was kind of swept under the rug with marketing.

Honestly, I know some of you may have liked the first one or two, I was not a fan. These movies weren't loud or hammy enough.

They wanted to have some semblance of plot and character development and it made the series boring.

This is the one time where it would've been best to come into the franchise with the mind of a child Michael Bay after eating Lucky Charms for breakfast; Barely any plot and just nonstop explosions and people showing up for no reason. Rather than repeat past catchphrases, make new over the top ones.

My personal mindset; the vibe of 80s actions, but done with the pace and attitude of the later Fast and Furious films.

VelvetVortex

Oct 6, 2023
I liked this movie, but not how I liked the second. I liked watching Jason more this time, Tony Jaa is always amazing to watch too, and of course, Megan Fox!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00