Expectations for next year with regular divisions?

Expectations for next year with regular divisions?

• Total voters

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With the best record in the NHL over last 11-12 games, all pressure will be on Dorion to add to this team and ensure we keep propelling forward in case 1-2 have sophomore slump and are helped through it with solid assets.

It has been the hallmark of all great teams exiting their rebuild and turning to legit playoff contenders. We need our Wideman, Recchi, Hossa, Campbell, Smythe, Scuderi etc

I see us adding a top 4 D(whether temporary or long term) and us adding a solid top 6 C(short term); we have enough prospect and draft capital to move a few guys without denting the core/top prospects. These last 15 games definitely help to make us appealing to a UFA to come here if we offer more in flat cap world but might not have been as attractive as destination.

The only case I can see to Dorion adding minimum fillers, like last off-season, is so he can see how we compete against the big dogs in our normal division and not care if we drop down even lower and collect a top 5-10 pick in a much deeper draft. I think this is not good formula for success as it could really stagnate and deflate few players badly.

Also, huge part of our standing next season will also be in big part of our goaltending.

Reactions: DrEasy

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
All teams that finish out of the playoffs (about 50%) are in a lottery position.

Technically yes, but I believe they're implementing a rule starting next season that you can only move up 10 spots if you win the lottery. What they probably mean is that we won't be bottom 10 and have a chance at the 1st overall pick next season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think we'll be bottom of whatever our division is, but not bottom 5 overall. Bottom 10 with some regression from rookies who performed well this year (Bath, Norris, Zub, etc...). We'll be shite for Wright

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A lot of our season is contingent on goaltending (we just hit 900 for the season btw)

TB
Florida
TML

Washington
Pittsburgh
Carolina

Idk if those 6 teams finish top 3 on each side, but i think they make it

Buffalo
Detroit
Columbus
NJD
Philly

I don't see making it

That leaves
Ottawa
Montreal
NYI
Boston
NYR

And I think NYR is the strongest of that group.

We could make it, but I'm thinking 90 points and a slight miss

Reactions: branch

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
TBL, Florida, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, NYI, Boston & Toronto - they're all pretty good teams. Not sure we'll displace those teams but maybe one of them regresses or has a lot of injuries.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Still building.

We aren't the .150 team from the start of the season, but we aren't the .750 team by any stretch, either. We'll miss the playoffs, but be ahead of a few teams in the conference.

The key right now is to stay the course. In another 3+ years, when we KNOW what we're still missing after the bulk of our stable is in the NHL and has a few games under thier belts, then we add the last 2-3 pieces/upgrades.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If we don't make any major moves and the division goes back to normal, I think we're going to miss the playoffs by a distance. I voted "still building".

I think our push for the playoffs will be the year after. The Division is too competitive and there's still a couple good teams on the other side in wildcard contention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad