Expect increased level of talent from Russia by 2020

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Next years draft already looks a lot better than the norm, maybe its a new trend, maybe its just a one off year?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The FHR introduced the National Hockey Developing Program for 6 to 18 years prospects. Should work partially since 2018/19, fully since 2019/20 season.

foto

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
We're a bit lacking of NA development success stories at D so far: Zadorov, Mikulovich, Sleptsov, Osipov, Lyamkin, Vladimirov, Baldayev, D. Sergeyev, A. Sergeyev, Sharipzyanov, Boikov, Pedan don't look too good so far. There are successfull examples of Provorov, Kulikov and possibly Valiyev though.

Is putting Zadorov in the same category with all the rest of these guys really fair? Sure, he's not been as good as Sergachev or Provorov especially offensively, but he is playing top four minutes for a good NHL club at 22 (turning 23). He kills penalties, leads the team in hits, is 3rd in blocked shots. Zads is not a world-beater, but he is miles better than the rest of the "failures" group, and I don't see how it's even close.

There are certainly instances where going to NA can be a very positive experience for a Russian player's profile, especially if they are not particularly highly touted in the first place. Oleg Sosunov is an example of such a player; he likely doesn't have much of a future in the pros, but he probably got way more offensive opportunities and exposure playing for Moose Jaw in the WHL than he would have playing for Lokomotiv's MHL squad. And he didn't even get that many power play chances after the Warriors acquired Kale Clague.

I would like to see a middle-ground where NHL clubs could loan Russian players back to the KHL. Zadorov, for instance, should have been loaned in 13-14 when the Sabres didn't want to burn his ELC. Instead they wasted half his season before they sent him back to London. Kostin could be signed for the Blues but playing KHL minutes. There seem like plenty of circumstances where this kind of agreement could be beneficial to all parties concerned.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is putting Zadorov in the same category with all the rest of these guys really fair? Sure, he's not been as good as Sergachev or Provorov especially offensively, but he is playing top four minutes for a good NHL club at 22 (turning 23). He kills penalties, leads the team in hits, is 3rd in blocked shots. Zads is not a world-beater, but he is miles better than the rest of the "failures" group, and I don't see how it's even close.

There are certainly instances where going to NA can be a very positive experience for a Russian player's profile, especially if they are not particularly highly touted in the first place. Oleg Sosunov is an example of such a player; he likely doesn't have much of a future in the pros, but he probably got way more offensive opportunities and exposure playing for Moose Jaw in the WHL than he would have playing for Lokomotiv's MHL squad. And he didn't even get that many power play chances after the Warriors acquired Kale Clague.

I would like to see a middle-ground where NHL clubs could loan Russian players back to the KHL. Zadorov, for instance, should have been loaned in 13-14 when the Sabres didn't want to burn his ELC. Instead they wasted half his season before they sent him back to London. Kostin could be signed for the Blues but playing KHL minutes. There seem like plenty of circumstances where this kind of agreement could be beneficial to all parties concerned.

About Zadorov, my quote is from January 2017, he wasn't good at all at that point, especially comparing with initial expectations (I hoped for a new Konstantinov).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The FHR organised a workshop for youth coaches in Kazan as part of upcoming reform of hockey development in Russia.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Vitaly Prokhorov is new vice-president of KHL responsible for MHL nternational development, and setting rules to keep best prospects in Russia instead of QJMHL, OHL, WHL, USHL etc

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It has been comforting to see both Zadorov and especially Orlov make big steps forward this season. Defensemen often take longer to develop than forwards. This will be a huge boost to the national team in the coming years.

Hoping to see more Provorovs and Sergachevs in the future too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad