Expansion team and Meruelo?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You have to hope the contract has benchmarks to hit along the way. Just because he doesn't hit a benchmark shouldn't mean someone else can't. I like that market and I think they should have a team. If the guy can't win an auction for land in June and get some work going by early 2025 then they should have something that lets another person pick up the plan for expansion in that city.

But again, they likely didn't do this because Meruelo had them over a barrel.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You have to hope the contract has benchmarks to hit along the way. Just because he doesn't hit a benchmark shouldn't mean someone else can't. I like that market and I think they should have a team. If the guy can't win an auction for land in June and get some work going by early 2025 then they should have something that lets another person pick up the plan for expansion in that city.

But again, they likely didn't do this because Meruelo had them over a barrel.
If there is no arena built in 5 years, the NHL is in the clear and finds a new owner. Meruelo either gets it done in 5 years or is out. I suspect the NHL plans to be back in the near future.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I just think it’s interesting to even put those provisions in the sale. And they explicitly said it’s not a relocation. It’s a new franchise for Utah with Utah purchasing the players picks officials etc from the coyotes. Meaning the coyotes keep their history should they become a franchise again.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If there is no arena built in 5 years, the NHL is in the clear and finds a new owner. Meruelo either gets it done in 5 years or is out. I suspect the NHL plans to be back in the near future.
Yes I know but he’s got 5 years, if he f***s off for 4 it just extends the timeline. That was my worry. Like they should be able to boot him out in year 3 with no progress.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yes I know but he’s got 5 years, if he f***s off for 4 it just extends the timeline. That was my worry. Like they should be able to boot him out in year 3 with no progress.
Except no. He has 5 years to have an arena built. Typical build time is around 3. That means he has 2 years to get land, permits and the building design done.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Except no. He has 5 years to have an arena built. Typical build time is around 3. That means he has 2 years to get land, permits and the building design done.
And if it’s year 3 and he still doesn’t own any land? We just wait two more years for it to be up. That’s my only point. Like either shit or get off the pot. They’ve been at mullet for two full seasons and he’s got some plans on the computer and zero land. When I said extend the timeline, I meant timeline for the NHL to get back to Arizona. That’s why I was saying I hope there are some checkpoints for him to hit along the way.

The more time that goes by with no team, the worse it is imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Interesting that the term is that he has to have BUILT the arena, not just have one finalized. That means his window for getting an arena approved and under construction is pretty narrow.
I would think if the arena was well under construction and would be completed before the start of the 5th season the NHL would give him a franchise back. That said, going through land auction and then all of the red tape, building permitting, design, etc takes time itself. If nothing is in motion 3 years in then he's likely dead in the water.

He's already cashed out, I don't put it by him to fiddle around to kill time then say "well I tried, couldn't get it done" and walk away. This might be best for Coyotes fans, as a door would open for a better ownership group to bring a team back

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This was just tweeted out by Pagnotta

Sounds like Meruelos intention is to get the coyotes back up again from scratch(expansion) with a new arena.
Also, he’s allowed to take on partners which was my initial thinking. Not sure if he would but it’s interesting nonetheless.

As others have pointed out, this land auction seems to be key because the NHLs 5 year deadline.

IMG_6316.jpeg

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
This was just tweeted out by Pagnotta

Sounds like Meruelos intention is to get the coyotes back up again from scratch(expansion) with a new arena.
Also, he’s allowed to take on partners which was my initial thinking. Not sure if he would but it’s interesting nonetheless.

As others have pointed out, this land auction seems to be key because the NHLs 5 year deadline.

View attachment 854704
I don't put any hope in AM.
At all. He is an idiot that lost against some people that wanted to keep a dump.
A freaking dump.
And he wanted to pay for it. Privately. And still lost.

Nobody in their right mind would work together with him. Atleast people from AZ.
And the fans will flip him the bird and not attend games. The only option would be to get Shane Doan as the front for a group. But i highly doubt that he wants to work with AM and his people.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Auston Matthews will probably join an ownership group for the Coyotes to return to Arizona and likely runs that team properly.

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
Why are they thinking of adding more expansion teams?? The nhl already has more teams than mlb and nba...why keep watering it down?? The league has been run like absolute sh!te for years now. Time for new leadership.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just think it’s interesting to even put those provisions in the sale. And they explicitly said it’s not a relocation. It’s a new franchise for Utah with Utah purchasing the players picks officials etc from the coyotes. Meaning the coyotes keep their history should they become a franchise again.
It’s technically a new franchise, plus Meruelo has a seat at the kids table as he’s technically still in the club.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why are they thinking of adding more expansion teams?? The nhl already has more teams than mlb and nba...why keep watering it down?? The league has been run like absolute sh!te for years now. Time for new leadership.
all 4 leagues have 32; even the AHL has achieved that.... the ECHL is getting there w/ 29.... question is is there enough markets underserved between existing teams independent of league or financially....

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
all 4 leagues have 32; even the AHL has achieved that.... the ECHL is getting there w/ 29.... question is is there enough markets underserved between existing teams independent of league or financially....
It's not about markets, its about balance and talent. The nhl of all leagues should not be leapfrogging the other majors. There is a reason leagues like the epl don't keep adding more teams every couple years. Plus the playoff dynamics gets worse once you go past 32. Half the teams dont make playoffs as is.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It’s technically a new franchise, plus Meruelo has a seat at the kids table as he’s technically still in the club.
as well as the expected transfer from Arizona ownership, as the NHL Approved said transfer.... folks are forgetting SEG now is the partner of the Tucson Roadrunners, Which was not part of the transfer To SEG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
as well as the expected transfer from Arizona ownership, as the NHL Approved said transfer.... folks are forgetting SEG now is the partner of the Tucson Roadrunners, Which was not part of the transfer To SEG
I don’t recall that being said

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not about markets, its about balance and talent. The nhl of all leagues should not be leapfrogging the other majors. There is a reason leagues like the epl don't keep adding more teams every couple years. Plus the playoff dynamics gets worse once you go past 32. Half the teams dont make playoffs as is.
IT IS ABOUT MARKETS IN A WAY.... because you have the faction that says return to X Market, WHETHER IT'S BASED IN REALISTIC fashion .... ie Quebec/Hartford/Winnipeg etc..... even Atlanta is served by an existing franchise, because it's not the metro but in Gwinnett.....

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
My point is for a wealthy person with ownership aspirations you can use Meruleno as a “partner” to get a team. Hes already approved. Then you can buy him out down the road. I know partners have to be approved as well but just getting your foot in the door is half the battle.

I don’t wish him be an owner but he’s in an interesting position. If I was a billion I’d offer him money to be my partner so I can get an NHL team.
A wealthy person with ownership aspirations could had bought the Yotes long time ago... This would be not too different, and the interest would probably be the same.

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
A wealthy person with ownership aspirations could had bought the Yotes long time ago... This would be not too different, and the interest would probably be the same.
Exactly.
AM did the same with Barroway. Got the team for 300m.
Why would anybody do that for much more if they could have had the team for a fraction?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

That’s a good thing.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yes and no. They don’t have to go through the same overall approval process by the BOG because Meruleno. Buy into it with the knowledge and expectation that a new state of the art arena is being built. The valuation is way more now because the perspective new arena.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
If they don't win the auction, there won't be any more opportunity to bring back hockey to Arizona for long time. I believe that it is based on them winning the land auction for proposal 5-year plan. I doubt that they will hold an expansion if Arizona fails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad