Expansion team and Meruelo?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wanted to make a separate thread and discuss possibly another expansion team.

With the Coyotes sale and relocation to Utah becoming official, an interesting part of the deal is that The NHL has given Meruelo 5 years to Obtain an arena for a new team. Hes already approved by the Board of Governors so that gets a lot of the red tape and approval process out of the way.

I have a few questions. Is this deal only contingent on getting an arena in Arizona or it can be anywhere?

Also, let’s say I’m a billion who wants to own a hockey team, can I make a deal with Meruelo who’s already approved as an owner and “partner” with him?

That 5 year arena clause is interesting and I’d like to know more about its details.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think they've published the terms of the deal yet. But Elliotte Friedman does believe one of the conditions for Meruelo to re-activate his franchise will be to have an arena.

Reactions: SI90

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
IF Meruelo can get the deal done then he essentially has a call option on an NHL franchise at $1b that expires in five years. If another round of expansion goes through like we all expect (Atlanta + Houston), that might be valuable in the event he flips.

Under no circumstances should this asshole actually be allowed to own and operate a team.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nothing will come of it.
I highly doubt that Muerelo will show up to the vote.
He will make like trees and leaf with a lot of green.
My point is for a wealthy person with ownership aspirations you can use Meruleno as a “partner” to get a team. Hes already approved. Then you can buy him out down the road. I know partners have to be approved as well but just getting your foot in the door is half the battle.

IF Meruelo can get the deal done then he essentially has a call option on an NHL franchise at $1b that expires in five years. If another round of expansion goes through like we all expect (Atlanta + Houston), that might be valuable in the event he flips.

Under no circumstances should this asshole actually be allowed to own and operate a team.
I don’t wish him be an owner but he’s in an interesting position. If I was a billion I’d offer him money to be my partner so I can get an NHL team.

Reactions: cptjeff

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

I realize that the Bettman and Daly really wanted to keep this out of court and get this done as soon as possible. To do that, they had to give him a pretty solid deal. The deal he got? Its far beyond that. Its setting up the league for a problem, again. I hope they put some creative stuff in this deal to get them out of it, because this guy absolutely should not be an NHL owner.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I realize that the Bettman and Daly really wanted to keep this out of court and get this done as soon as possible. To do that, they had to give him a pretty solid deal. The deal he got? Its far beyond that. Its setting up the league for a problem, again. I hope they put some creative stuff in this deal to get them out of it, because this guy absolutely should not be an NHL owner.

Interesting that the term is that he has to have BUILT the arena, not just have one finalized. That means his window for getting an arena approved and under construction is pretty narrow.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Interesting that the term is that he has to have BUILT the arena, not just have one finalized. That means his window for getting an arena approved and under construction is pretty narrow.
Auction is in .. June I think? If they win and get the ball rolling of course they can have something in five years but thats a lot of ifs for this guy who can barely pay a hotel bill.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
My point is for a wealthy person with ownership aspirations you can use Meruleno as a “partner” to get a team. Hes already approved. Then you can buy him out down the road. I know partners have to be approved as well but just getting your foot in the door is half the battle.
Who in their right mind would work with him?
He is stubborn, unprofessional, uses strong-arm tactics (not paying until he is forced to) and lots more.
Also you know a lot of stuff will come out about him in the next months. And if it does, then I am sure that the state will cancel the auction or find another way to get out of this.
That dude is toxic to AZ. Nobody will touch him. Not even with a 10 foot pole.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Doubt we will ever get the nitty gritty details of the transaction. But I do believe the fine print will be getting an arena built in Phoenix. He will still have to pay the minor payment of one billion to start up his team as well.

Reactions: SI90

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If it’s not getting done, it won’t take 5 years to figure that out. He has benchmarks along the way to hit. If he doesn’t win the auction, it likely dies right then and there.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If NHL is serious about ever getting Coyotes going in Arizona why on earth wouldn’t they demand a change in owner?

This was a total mess and a failure and NHL doesn’t care one second

Reactions: Edenjung

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Otherwise this drags on even more. If he wins the land action, the Coyotes should be back in 3-5 years. If he doesnt, everyone moves on. And the NHL finds a different owner to try again.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Doubt we will ever get the nitty gritty details of the transaction. But I do believe the fine print will be getting an arena built in Phoenix. He will still have to pay the minor payment of one billion to start up his team as well.
Did we get the details for how much the coyotes were sold for?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If it’s not getting done, it won’t take 5 years to figure that out. He has benchmarks along the way to hit. If he doesn’t win the auction, it likely dies right then and there.
You’re talking about the June land auction in Arizona correct?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'll honestly be surprised if...

...he (Meruelo) follows through and re-activates the franchise with all the associated costs that will come with it (building a new arena).
...the league wants an owner who didn't care about the franchise the first time to be the one to make it viable a second time around.
...Coyotes fans even want him to be that person with all the bad ill-will he's now created.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Because that was the only way he was willing to sell the team. NHL cannot force an owner to sell.
Jep and this is their way of getting rid of him.
He is a stubborn son of a gun. And he will not get help.
So they throw him a bone to get him to sell. But they know that he will not succeed to build an arena or district in time.
And e voila they are rid of him without any major problems.
And they can take about 10 years to find a new owner with deep pockets.
Or get Ishbia to be interested in Hockey and have him build an arena for both the suns and new team.

Overall this whole thing is just a bone for Muerelo. So that he tries, fails and the NHL gets to boot him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad