Speculation: Expansion Scenario

How would you react?

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It would be very stupid. At least one of Tatar, Danault and Armia won't be a Hab next year, so we aren't protecting them. The only main forwards we got to protect are Anderson, Gallagher, Toffoli, and Kotkaniemi. That's 3 more spots for Drouin/Lehkonen/whoever remains between Tatar/Danault/Armia. Seattle will take Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen or Evans, and I think it will be Chiarot/Edmundson.

I can't see MB losing Danault unless one of Evan's or Poehling has an unforeseen complete breakout of a season - at center, at the NHL level. Center is too important of a position, and we're too young at that position, to lose Danault.

But you do bring up an interesting point. Who would you rather lose: Drouin or Tatar AND Armia? If Drouin is exposed and selected, we have the cap space to keep Tatar and Armia doesn't get taken. If we keep Drouin, Armia may be selected, and because of Drouin's 5.5M cap hit, Tatar is likely gone.

But a lot depends on how these 3 players play this year. If Drouin has another stinker season, we may expose him and Seattle may not even take him. If Armia puts up big numbers, he may. Command a high cap hit. So much uncertainty now.

One thing I'm pretty certain of: Danault will get paid. He has us by the balls in negotiations. We can't afford to lose him if we're looking to be a playoff team while Price and Weber are still good.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It's already poor asset management.

It was a bad trade. It happens. Now it's time to look at what the best scenarios are moving forward. Losing Sergachev is a sunk loss. Can't change it or do anything about it. He's gone, and we have Drouin on the roster, for now.

If Drouin has another really bad season, It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get 5.5 million in cap space. Maybe we use the cap space to sign Tatar, or a Granlund, or a Hoffman, or a Hall.

Plus we come out of the expansion draft without losing Edmundson, Chiarot, Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, Lehkonen, Armia, Evan's, or Allen.

My prefered scenario is for Seattle to do us a favor - as Vegas did when they took Emelin's 4M cap hit off our books - and take Byron's 3.5M off the cap. But I expect us to lose a good player this time around. Chiarot or Edmundson, or one of Lehkonen, Armia, or Evans.
You're right of course, but it's more fun to hate on the trade when you think about it being Sergachev for cap

Reactions: 26Mats

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The trade has been meaningless to me for a while because nothing is going to change so I try to imagine the team going forward instead.

In regards to the expansion draft, see how the guys play this year and then determine who to move forward with.

Is there a specific date the list has to be submitted?

Absolutely agree with you.

It makes sense to harp on a trade early on if you are displeased (like those that hated to see Subban go), because it's an emotional thing but, over time, it's hard to imagine why bringing up a player that is no longer a shadow of his former self -- as though we are still in that moment years before -- is worth the energy?

It applies to all trades.

Reactions: Deebs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad