Speculation: Expansion Scenario

How would you react?

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Marc-Antoine Godin suggested a scenario where we go 4-4-1 instead of the 7-3-1 format, that would mean that Drouin would be left unprotected. How would you react if him being claimed by the Kraken was the conclusion to the Sergachev trade?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The trade has been meaningless to me for a while because nothing is going to change so I try to imagine the team going forward instead.

In regards to the expansion draft, see how the guys play this year and then determine who to move forward with.

Is there a specific date the list has to be submitted?

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The trade been meaningless to me for a while because nothing is going to change so I try to imagine the team going forward instead.

In regards to the expansion draft, see how the guys play this year and then determine who to move forward with.

Is there a specific date the list has to be submitted?
With the whole pandemic, hard to say. I think in 2017 they revealed the lists on June 18th. The draft was held on the 21st.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i assume it gets pushed back a month or so perhaps, depending on when the regular season ends and playoffs end. Don't think they would want the expansion draft while the playoffs were still going but with 2020 who the f***s knows.

as for Drouin, if he plays like an inconsistent cream puff then getting rid of his contract when things are going to be so tight would be addition by subtraction. We lost the trade but can still improve the team which as of now is the most important. That said maybe he gets his head out of his ass and has a big year finally and comes close to producing to his talent level.

Reactions: MasterD

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Haha they would never. Performance-to-cap hit ratio sucks with Drouin, I can't see the Kraken wanting him over Edmundson or Allen.

Drouin is the new Desharnais, curse-wise. We're stuck with him until he's truly useless. He's a major pillar of their PR Programme.

Reactions: lo striver

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It would mean all of (Edmundson/Chiarot/Fleury/Juulsen) were better than Drouin... Which ultimately means he was really bad.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Marc-Antoine Godin suggested a scenario where we go 4-4-1 instead of the 7-3-1 format, that would mean that Drouin would be left unprotected. How would you react if him being claimed by the Kraken was the conclusion to the Sergachev trade?

relieved... addition by subtraction

Reactions: Runner77

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Who do we protect as the 4D? I don't get why we should do that.

Maybe the OP is thinking our tougher D will do so good this year, they'll be perceived as Tony, Paulie, Syl and Chris from the Sopranos. A defense so good you gotta keep it.

I don't know really, doesn't make much sense.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

If it was now,fine but it's after the season,want to see how it plays out this season before committing to next season,seems premature.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think Chiarot and/or Edmundson HAVE to be protected.
If we could somehow get our hands on a better 4th D-Men that isn't exempt, sure. But I don't quite see it with them.

Protecting what could very well be a 6th D-Men by the end of the season just isn't worth it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the trade ends up being Sergachev for cap space I would have to say that would be some pretty poor asset management

It's already poor asset management.

It was a bad trade. It happens. Now it's time to look at what the best scenarios are moving forward. Losing Sergachev is a sunk loss. Can't change it or do anything about it. He's gone, and we have Drouin on the roster, for now.

If Drouin has another really bad season, It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get 5.5 million in cap space. Maybe we use the cap space to sign Tatar, or a Granlund, or a Hoffman, or a Hall.

Plus we come out of the expansion draft without losing Edmundson, Chiarot, Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, Lehkonen, Armia, Evan's, or Allen.

My prefered scenario is for Seattle to do us a favor - as Vegas did when they took Emelin's 4M cap hit off our books - and take Byron's 3.5M off the cap. But I expect us to lose a good player this time around. Chiarot or Edmundson, or one of Lehkonen, Armia, or Evans.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I suspect Seattle will come away with a tin of 1st and 2nd round picks in this flat cap era.

Teams will give them the picks to take on their bad contracts, because they'll be desperate for the cap space.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on the year Drouin has at age 25.. playing with better talent and a more stable spot this year.

* If he has a meh year again, I drop my support on Drouin. My narrative has always been talent needs to play with talent and if he struggles again with better talent, I'm on the Drouin is a problem bandwagon. But if that happens, does Seattle take him? :sarcasm:
vs
* If he has a 60+ season, we won't expose him.

It goes hand and hand in determining if we go 4-4-1 or 7-3-1

Remember when Pleky was the guy we might loose in the expansion draft? A lot has to do with what happens this season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I suspect Seattle will come away with a tin of 1st and 2nd round picks in this flat cap era.

Teams will give them the picks to take on their bad contracts, because they'll be desperate for the cap space.

Good point there! They might be taking even more of a futures approach vs Vegas considering the circumstances.

Reactions: 26Mats

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It would be very stupid. At least one of Tatar, Danault and Armia won't be a Hab next year, so we aren't protecting them. The only main forwards we got to protect are Anderson, Gallagher, Toffoli, and Kotkaniemi. That's 3 more spots for Drouin/Lehkonen/whoever remains between Tatar/Danault/Armia. Seattle will take Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen or Evans, and I think it will be Chiarot/Edmundson.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Allen is probably going to play 12-18 games and Price plays 38-44 (depends on schedule and how many back to back games). So lets say Allen plays 15 games (+/-) and has solid stats that are close to his career stats. Seattle is going to take him

Allen and Varlamov is what I expect today but it might change. What are the other goalies that stands to be exposed? Who becomes UFA? Anybody crunch that list down yet? I'm curious

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would be very stupid. At least one of Tatar, Danault and Armia won't be a Hab next year, so we aren't protecting them. The only main forwards we got to protect are Anderson, Gallagher, Toffoli, and Kotkaniemi. That's 3 more spots for Drouin/Lehkonen/whoever remains between Tatar/Danault/Armia. Seattle will take Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen or Evans, and I think it will be Chiarot/Edmundson.

Allen, Chiarot, or Edmundson... it's one of them 3. If it's not, some weird chain of events happens with the Habs this year that we can't see today

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are the chances Bergevin and Danault are playing us? Danault coming out complaining about usage and he gets no extension but they have a hand shake agreement to do that after the expansion draft. What advantage does that give us at forward? One extra spot for..... ???

Never mind, forget that question :facepalm: :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad