Expansion Question

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, I thought I read they were guaranteed a lottery spot their first few seasons. Can't see anything online about it right now though.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I thought I read they were guaranteed a lottery spot their first few seasons. Can't see anything online about it right now though.

I also have an expansion draft questions.
How will the draft work? Will there be an order of teams that L.V has to follow?, will trades be allowed during the draft? For instance lets say everyone expects NSH to expose a fwd but say last min they expose a D man and LV picks that D man can Tor call LV before they make their next pick to try and make a trade? Or are all trades frozen before the draft then re opened after?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That was initially rumored to be the case, but the only draft that's been confirmed to have that is 2017. If there's others, they're unconfirmed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I also have an expansion draft questions.
How will the draft work? Will there be an order of teams that L.V has to follow?, will trades be allowed during the draft? For instance lets say everyone expects NSH to expose a fwd but say last min they expose a D man and LV picks that D man can Tor call LV before they make their next pick to try and make a trade? Or are all trades frozen before the draft then re opened after?

I'm gonna say no to the bolded:

The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21.

There'd have to be a trade freeze of some sort in between the lists submitions through to the selections.

There could be a flurry of activity before and after that freeze though with teams looking to move a player they fear they'll lose for nothing and on the flip side LV can wheel and deal players they've selected post picking them. McPhee has said he'll be holding auctions at that point. Only wrinkle being the player can't be traded back to the team he was selected from. I believe LV has to wait a calendar year to do so.

Last edited:

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I'm gonna say no to the bolded:

There'd have to be a trade freeze in between the lists submitions through to the selections of course.

There could be a flurry of activity before and after that freeze though with teams looking to move a player they fear they'll lose for nothing and on the flip side LV can wheel and deal players they've selected post picking them. McPhee has said he'll be holding auctions at that point. Only wrinkle being the player can't be traded back to the team he was selected from. I believe LV has to wait a calendar year to do so.

Thank you:cheers:, I didn't know how the list submissions/selections were going to happen.
Gonna be crazy up till the 17th then prob a lil slow then explode at the draft:yo:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
100% incorrect. Don't have a link but they re guaranteed now worst than 3rd overall odfds for their 1st 2 or 3 seasons at least.

Sigh, not this again. This was a myth that got repeated a few times before it finally got clarified last offseason. This past lottery(the lottery for the season they did not play in) was the only one that they had guarenteed lottery odds for. All subsequent seasons their odds(or not being in there altogether if they make the playoffs) is determined by how they finish

Link, since I won't go around saying things are true without providing one...

This article -> http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-remembering-greatness/

Which was written, Jun 11th, 11 days before the above tweet which later corrected it, said they would, but that was wrong. Instead of people talking about it for 11 days and then realizing it was wrong they've been incorrectly talking about it ever since

The NHL also tried to pre-empt various shenanigans. While the new team(s) can trade anyone taken, none of the players can go back to their previous club until January 1. There will also be no buyouts of anyone selected until after the first expansion season. Finally, there will be a guaranteed spot in the draft lottery for four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad