Expansion Draft

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
:canes
Forwards: Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Andrej Nestrasil, Jordan Staal, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Joakim Nordstrom
Defenseman: Justin Faulk, Jaccob Slavin(Unless he's exempt?)/Noah Hanifin(Exempt?), or Brett Pesce(Exempt?) Which ones are exempt or not?
Goalies: Lack
Exempt: Pesce, Hanifin, Slavin?, Saarela, Nedeljkovic, Haydn Fleury, McKeown, Zykov, etc?
Exposed: Hainsey(UFA), Wisniewski(UFA), Murphy(RFA), Tolchinsky, etc?

Accurate???

Protect Nash Maybe? We have non-car fans trying to throw this together... so its not working too well :P

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Slavin, Hanifin and Pesce are all automatically exempt. Rask and PDG should be as well if I am not mistaken. I believe they would choose to keep Wisniewski as a veteran prescence, but probably not Hainsey. I believe they would probably keep one of Nestrasil or Nordstrom, but maybe not both.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
after the 16-17 season it sounds like

correct

OK looking more closely on exempt status' i updated to this:

Forwards: Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Riley Nash, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Andrej Nestrasil
Defenseman: Justin Faulk, Hainsey(UFA), Wisniewski(UFA)
Exempt: Pesce, Hanifin, Slavin, Saarela, Nedeljkovic, Haydn Fleury, McKeown, Zykov, etc?
Exposed: Ward(UFA), Murphy(RFA), Tolchinsky, Joakim Nordstrom

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
correct

OK looking more closely on exempt status' i updated to this:

Forwards: Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Riley Nash, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Andrej Nestrasil
Defenseman: Justin Faulk, Hainsey(UFA), Wisniewski(UFA)
Exempt: Pesce, Hanifin, Slavin, Saarela, Nedeljkovic, Haydn Fleury, McKeown, Zykov, etc?
Exposed: Ward(UFA), Murphy(RFA), Tolchinsky, Joakim Nordstrom

Tolchinsky is still in his 1st pro year so he's exempt. I'd flip Nordstrom for Nash in all likelihood.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Think I was wrong on Rask. His first contract is up after this season. Wow, where does the time go, it seems impossible he's been around 3 years.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So Keep Nordstrom Expose Nash??

That's what I'd do. They would need to protect Brock McGinn to so he could be over both Nash and Nordstrom with a good season next year. The last spot is tough, and to be honest I don't think an expansion team will even want one of them (unless there are 2 expansion teams)

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'd keep Murphy over Hainsey, if both are even still around. There were rumors they tried to dump Hainsey before the trade deadline and found no takers, while Murphy seems to have fallen out of their long term plans (though he's played better as of late, now the main issue is his inability to adjust when teams become very physical with him).

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'd keep Murphy over Hainsey, if both are even still around. There were rumors they tried to dump Hainsey before the trade deadline and found no takers, while Murphy seems to have fallen out of their long term plans (though he's played better as of late, now the main issue is his inability to adjust when teams become very physical with him).
I don't buy those rumors and don't remember seeing anything like that either. Why would there be TDL interest in Hainsey when he wasn't a rental? They clearly were going to move JML so keeping Hainsey as the only real veteran presence on the blue line was imperative.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Help me understand: why protect a guy who is looming as a UFA? Discussions about Wiz vs Hainsey, Nesty vs Nord...why would you use up a protected slot on a guy who is not signed? Or is the assumption that the prettier choice would be signed, and the uglier one would not...?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Forwards (x7)
Lindholm
Rask
Skinner
J. Staal
?
?
?

Defensemen (x3)
Faulk
?
?

Goaltender (x1)
?

Much of the protection list is a question mark at the moment, imo. I assume GMRF will bring in a quality forward in the offseason, taking one of the protection slots up front. I'm rarely right, however. The other two will presumably be occupied by some combination of PDG, Nestrasil, Nordstrom, McGinn or an additional UFA/trade acquisition. I’d lean towards protecting Nestrasil and PDG, but there’s another season left to go before making that decision.

On the blueline, how will the league handle the NMC issue and more importantly, how will it handle the issue of impending UFAs with NMCs? Forcing a team like the Canes to protect an impending UFA with a NMC like Wiz seems silly. Who knows? The only notable defenseman that would need to be protected, otherwise, are Carrick and Murphy. Does either have a long-term future with the team?

In terms of goaltending, it’s wait and see mode. It could be Lack. It could be Ward. It could be another UFA. It could be a trade acquisition.

…

Thinking more about a potential expansion draft, I think the 25% exposure requirement will result in Carolina either buying or standing pat at next year's deadline. They’re going to need most, if not all, of the $9 mil+ cap hit that the triumvirate of Wiz, Hainsey and McClement account for to meet that threshold.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I posted one out on the trade board. I think we'll be active in free agency if only because of the 25% rule. Assuming this is the 2016-17 offseason we're talking about here:

Protected:
J Staal
Skinner
Lindholm
Rask
PDG
Nestrasil
UFA signing #1

Faulk
Carrick
?????

Lack

unprotected:
Nordstrom
Nash
McGinn
UFA signing #2

Ward

exempt:
Tolchinsky
Zykov
Aho
Wallmark
Poturalski
Hanifin
Slavin
Pesce
Fleury
McKeown
Ganly
Ned

I can see us bringing in at least one guy with the literal intention of leaving him unprotected so that we don't have to expose one of our few high-priced guys that are still left here.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
To add to what Dave listed I believe Saarela is exempt but it looks like you'd leave Altshuller unprotected which might be an interesting team decision.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think a lot of this is going to come down to play next season. If we do something like resign Nash and he puts up 35 points, then I think you'll have Nash, Nordstrom, Nestrasil, McGinn decisions (assuming Brock takes the next step).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
To add to what Dave listed I believe Saarela is exempt but it looks like you'd leave Altshuller unprotected which might be an interesting team decision.

Yep, Saarela is exempt as well. He'll probably start the year in Charlotte but being in Raleigh wouldn't shock me either.

Could very easily see Nordstrom, McGinn, or Nash protected instead of my hypothetical UFA signing there if we're not able to get someone that really gels with Peters system.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yep, Saarela is exempt as well. He'll probably start the year in Charlotte but being in Raleigh wouldn't shock me either.

Could very easily see Nordstrom, McGinn, or Nash protected instead of my hypothetical UFA signing there if we're not able to get someone that really gels with Peters system.

Well my big fear is that we end up trading for Brian Bickell as our 13th forward just to make the salary floor. Unless Ron Francis has a magic bean that somehow gets us a guy names Stamkos.

Right now a hypothetical I've been playing around with has the following happening:

Sign Rask to a 1 year bridge at $2.7 million (Lindy money)
Sign Nordstrom to a 2 year bridge at $1 million (basically Nesty money)
Resign Nash for 3 years at $4.5 million ($1.5 million per year)
Sign Aho to an ELC of $925,000
Sign a goalie for $3 million
Sign a 7th forward and a 13th defender for $1.5 million ($750,000 each)

That leaves $9 million for two forward slots....just to barely clear the salary floor. So I could see some pretty crazy **** happening at the Draft or shortly thereafter. If GMRF waits too long he may end up being forced to sign a stupid contract just to get to the minimum.

That then clarifies who we protect:

Lindy
Rask
Staal
Skinner
Two of PDG, Nesty, Nordy, Nash
Faulk
Top 6 acquisition
Lack

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I could easily see Francis making a play for an upgrade at the goalie position this offseason because of the money we need to spend and the availability due to the expansion draft. I could see us trying to get Andersen and then signing him to a pretty significant deal in the neighborhood of $5M per season. If that's the case he'd obviously be the one protected and that would help the 25% issue due to Lack's salary being unprotected.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Can somebody please explain to me the 25% rule?

It just means that each team can only protect players up to 75% of the teams total payroll (I'm uncertain if they mean cap number or paid salary). Thus, each team has to expose enough players so that at least 25% of the previous season's payroll is unprotected. This could force some teams to expose a star if they don't have enough salary committed to secondary players.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Ok. Thanks! That works out in our favor because of our star players' affordable contracts. I'm with NotOpie that if we can entice Stamkos to play here, then we should sign him. He's out for the rest of the year with a blood clot in his arm, which is concerning but if anybody can rebound from a freak accident its Stamkos.

A top six of Stamkos, Skinner, J Staal, Rask, Lindholm and Aho would be the best we've had since the cup run, blueline is finally coming around, draft Max Jones for physicality, and maybe pluck one of Bishop or Vasilevskiy off Tampa due to the expansion's rule of retaining 1 goalie and we're easily cup contenders.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It just means that each team can only protect players up to 75% of the teams total payroll (I'm uncertain if they mean cap number or paid salary). Thus, each team has to expose enough players so that at least 25% of the previous season's payroll is unprotected. This could force some teams to expose a star if they don't have enough salary committed to secondary players.

....which in our case could literally be as little as about $13.75 million....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad