Expansion Draft

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The tricky thing is, whether the NMC clause status will count for the 2016-17 season (in which case Girardi is a mandatory protection) or the 2017-18 season (in which case Stepan is a mandatory protection).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Protected:

Defense: (3)
McD
Staal (NMC)
Girardi (NMC)

Forwards (7)
Brassard
Zucc
Miller
Nash
Kreider
Stepan
Hayes

Goalie (1)
Lundqvist (NMC)

Not Protected:
Fast
Lindberg
McI
Klein
AHL Prospects that have over 2 years not listed.

Exempt:
Skjei, Graves, Tambellini. Didn't name every prospect overseas since they are not eligible(like Buch).

So yea...if we have to waste our protected players with Staal and Girardi, we are screwed.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Protected:

McD
Staal (NMC)
Girardi (NMC)

Forwards (7)
Brassard
Zucc
Miller
Nash
Kreider
Stepan
Hayes

Goalie (1)
Lundqvist (NMC)

Not Protected:
Fast
Lindberg
McI
Klein

Exempt:
Skjei, Graves, Tambellini. Didn't name every prospect overseas since they are not eligible(like Buch).

So yea...if we have to waste our protected players with Staal and Girardi, we are screwed.

Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath, Klein and the entire AHL roster doesn't add up to 25% of the payroll. AHL cap-hits are much lower than NHL cap hits and I think they go by actual salary, which means most AHL-guys will count as just 70k

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Protected:

McD
Staal (NMC)
Girardi (NMC)

Forwards (7)
Brassard
Zucc
Miller
Nash
Kreider
Stepan
Hayes

Goalie (1)
Lundqvist (NMC)

Not Protected:
Fast
Lindberg
McI
Klein

Exempt:

By my Math, JT Miller and Hayes will need to sign for less than 3 Million to accomplish this! I expect that to be impossible.

What is the best possible contracts you guys can imagine signing for:

Kreider
JT Miller and
K. Hayes?

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Traded
Staal (despite the NMC)
Nash

Protected

Girardi (NMC)
McD
Klein

Forwards (7)
Brassard
Zucc
Miller
Kreider
Stepan
Hayes
Lindberg

Goalie (1)
Lundqvist (NMC)

Not Protected:
Hrivik
Fast (Hayes needs to start playing hockey though or else he will be dealt/go unprotected)
McI (maybe we must deal Klein instead of leaving Mac unprotected - time will tell)

Exempt:
Skjei, Graves, Tambellini, Buch, assets from Nash trade + assets from M Staal trade.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
By my Math, JT Miller and Hayes will need to sign for less than 3 Million to accomplish this! I expect that to be impossible.

What is the best possible contracts you guys can imagine signing for:

Kreider
JT Miller and
K. Hayes?

And these 3 contracts predictions??

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Two incoming teams. The most a team can carry is 50 signed players. There are 30 teams. There is some basic math here.

How many players will they allow a team to protect? 11? Is anyone sure of that number? In the past it's been higher than that.

At most teams would lose 3 players and there's a decent likelihood it will be only 2 allowed that any team can lose and QC and Las Vegas would have to make up the difference signing free agents. Not very likely going to allow Quebec City and Las Vegas to grab 60 legit NHL players. That's one reason why I think there will be a higher number than 11 of protected players--or if the 11 is the right number once a player is picked the team losing a player will protect one--maybe two others.

Expansion teams usually aren't very good teams. In the past they've always pretty much went to the head of the entry draft.

.....anyway if the Rangers have made a decision to cut bait with Nash and can't find any takers---which well might be the case this summer or summer 2017 why would they protect him?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Fast, Lindberg, McIlrath, Klein and the entire AHL roster doesn't add up to 25% of the payroll. AHL cap-hits are much lower than NHL cap hits and I think they go by actual salary, which means most AHL-guys will count as just 70k

I didn't factor in the salary portion of the rules, that was time consuming enough :laugh:

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I mean, very little quality players will get drafted if NMCs are upheld. Yea, we give NMCs to ****** players, but I think that there is a decent chance it won't matter.

But Girardi and Staal will end up being protected anyway because AV.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I didn't factor in the salary portion of the rules, that was time consuming enough :laugh:

Defense: (3)(15.9M)
McD
Staal (NMC)
Girardi (NMC)

Forwards (7)(27.8)
Brassard
Zucc
Stepan
Nash-23.8
Kreider-4
Miller-2.5
Hayes-2.5

Goalie (1)(8.5)
Lundqvist (NMC)

--52.2 (73% without Miller//Hayes) --54.7 (76%) with one of miller or Hayes. I figure one of the big guys needs to be exposed or Miller + hayes switched with Fast/Lindberg

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Defense: (3)(15.9M)
McD
Staal (NMC)
Girardi (NMC)

Forwards (7)(27.8)
Brassard
Zucc
Stepan
Nash-23.8
Kreider-4
Miller-2.5
Hayes-2.5

Goalie (1)(8.5)
Lundqvist (NMC)

--52.2 (73% without Miller//Hayes) --54.7 (76%) with one of miller or Hayes. I figure one of the big guys needs to be exposed or Miller + hayes switched with Fast/Lindberg

If we had to expose a forward to keep both of Miller and Hayes, i'd say expose Stepan or Nash.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Teams must expose at least 25% of the 2016-17 payroll available.

1st and 2nd year pros will be exempt and don't need protection. Pro years include AHL. (Buchnevich, Skjei, Graves will be automatically protected, McIlrath or Lindberg won't be, even if the draft was this year, since he played in the AHL for a few years)

Pending UFA (unrestricted free agents) cannot be used to count towards the 25% since they will be free agents. No rights to be acquired through the expansion draft.

Unsigned draft picks will be exempt and don't need protection. (Morrison, Kovacs)

Each team has the option to protect 3 D, 7 F and 1 G.

This URL has the actual salaries, not cap hits:
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers/salary

For example: The Rangers spend 84 million in total salary (Not cap hit, but actual salary) in 2015-16, they need to make 21 million in salary available.

Scenario 1: No-move clause is automatically exempt
Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal and Dan Girardi are all exempt due to their NMC. We have to make 25% available in salary.

If Scenario 1 is true, where does the NHL draw the line? Girardi has a NMC through the 2016-17 season, changing to a NTC in 2017-18. Contract years run from July 1st until June 30th like a fiscal year in business models, but the draft will be before the end of the fiscal year/season.

Scenario 1a: Girardi is considered exempt as a player under the NMC rules. He cannot count towards the 25%

Scenario 1b: Girardi is not considered exempt as a player under the NTC rules. He can count towards the 25%

Scenario 2: No-move clause is not exempt
We can make everyone available to count towards the 25%

Now, check out the actual salaries and try to get to 21m to make available for the expansion draft. Do you want to make Nash available? No, because he is worth more than the minimal compensation (if any is given) when he is picked (probably a 2nd round pick). Same goes for Brassard, McDonagh, Zuccarello etc. Getting to 21m to be made available is very, very tricky because AHL players have an average salary of less than 100k.

If it is scenario 1a, we are in big trouble and we most likely have to make players like Kreider, Zuccarello, Klein, McDonagh or Brassard available to get to that 25% threshold.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad