Expansion draft

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Also interesting to consider that the expansion teams would likely have picks #1 and #2 in the draft that they enter - Bad news for any team rebuilding at that time - Hurricanes, Leafs, Canucks.

I think with the new lotto system they might be given the same chances at the top 3 picks that the last place team gets maybe?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the way I look at it--Expansion at the earliest could be 17/18 and my guess is both McJesus and Leon D will have racked up enough games where they will need to be protected

say if you can do 7 fw and 4 d and 1 g

1) McJesus
2) Hall
3) Nuge
4) Leon D
5) Yak
6) Eberle
7) Lander

D
1) Klefbom
2) Nurse
3) Sekera
4) Reinhart

g)
1) Talbot

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Wonder if there would be any rules about how many players could be selected from a single team. What if the expansion team goes out of their way to take as many players away from their division rivals as possible?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Wonder if there would be any rules about how many players could be selected from a single team. What if the expansion team goes out of their way to take as many players away from their division rivals as possible?
Depends how many teams are added. If two teams are added, a team can lose only 2 players. I think if a team loses a goalie, they can't lose a defenseman but I'm not sure.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Probably at most 2 players from a team if there are two expansion franchises.

That said it may be tough for an expansion team to get to the cap unless they take on some big contracts. So expansion could be a cap relief mechanism for some teams. David Clarkson...Come on down.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
You can only lose as many players as there are teams joining the NHL. When the Oilers joined in the NHL-WHA merger, teams could lose 4 players because 4 teams joined. When Minnesota and Columbus joined, teams could only lose 2 players. If only 1 team joins, teams can only lose 1 player

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pisses me off that just when this org is starting to build depth this expansion crap comes up.

Alternatively you could look at it another way. There's going to be ~50 players that previously wouldn't have been in the league once expansion kicks in. Top end players like McDavid will flourish against those players until the talent level evens out again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad