Expansion draft

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Say there's an expansion draft this year, who do you protect?
Option A:
9 forwards
5 defensemen
1 goalie
Option B:
7 forwards
3 defensemen
2 goalies

Keep in mind that first and second year pros are auto protected, therefore mcjesus dr drai nurse and reinhart don't need to be protected

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Nikitin gryba Schultz scrivens Purcell pit lick korpikoski gazdic Hendricks is who I leave vulnerable

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Say there's an expansion draft this year, who do you protect?
Option A:
9 forwards
5 defensemen
1 goalie

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Lander, Letestu, Korpikoski, Hendricks
Sekera, Klefbom, Fayne, Schultz, Ference
Talbot

Not sure if we'd be forced to keep Ference but if not, I'd protect Gryba instead of him.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Hall, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Lander, Letestu, Korpikoski, Hendricks
Sekera, Klefbom, Fayne, Schultz, Ference
Talbot

Not sure if we'd be forced to keep Ference but if not, I'd protect Gryba instead of him.

This is what I've got (with Gryba) - seems like there wouldn't be a lot of variation from this list

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I will assume that ELCs are exempt from this, so Draisaitl, Nurse and McDavid would be safe.

My guess for the players they protect.

Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Lander, Letestu

Sekera, Klefbom, Fayne

Talbot, Brossoit

Edit: An expansion draft would be very interesting to see who's protected and who each team gets. I know Gregor's been whining ALOT about the "watered down" league, but 2 more team makes things interesting and gives the League a balance number of teams.

Fiddie

Jan 10, 2009
Edmonton
We should also make sure these rules are followed if the expansion draft is the same as last time:
For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Are there any teams in the entire league that would protect 2 goalies? That just doesn't seem like a good option at all.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Are there any teams in the entire league that would protect 2 goalies? That just doesn't seem like a good option at all.

Maybe Tampa with Bishop/Vas or Anaheim with Andersen/Gibson.

But that rule was also when the whole league was gaga over goalies. Brodeur, Hasek and Roy were gods and teams were drafting goalies 1st overall. I suspect the next expansion draft rules will be different.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Two non ELC goalies? Hmm...

I doubt it. Boston maybe?

Bergeron, Krejci, Beleskey, Marchand, Eriksson, Hayes, Spooner/Connolly

Chara, Krug, Irwin/McQuaid

Rask, Jones.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
The big question is are players with NMC exempt from the expansion draft?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I will assume that ELCs are exempt from this, so Draisaitl, Nurse and McDavid would be safe.

My guess for the players they protect.

Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot, Yakupov, Lander, Letestu

Sekera, Klefbom, Fayne

Talbot, Brossoit

Edit: An expansion draft would be very interesting to see who's protected and who each team gets. I know Gregor's been whining ALOT about the "watered down" league, but 2 more team makes things interesting and gives the League a balance number of teams.

This post makes me worry that we could actually potentially lose Brossoit in an expansion draft in a couple seasons. I wonder if Chia doesn't unofficially protect him by sending the expansion team an asset in exchange for them agreeing not to pick him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This post makes me worry that we could actually potentially lose Brossoit in an expansion draft in a couple seasons. I wonder if Chia doesn't unofficially protect him by sending the expansion team an asset in exchange for them agreeing not to pick him.

An asset or a player, but yeah that was my first thought when I saw the lists.

I would think only guys who are ELC would be excluded, so if you have overripe prospects (Brossoit could very well be at that point) you could lose those players, so there's more to consider then just roster players, imo.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Also interesting to consider that the expansion teams would likely have picks #1 and #2 in the draft that they enter - Bad news for any team rebuilding at that time - Hurricanes, Leafs, Canucks.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
Also interesting to consider that the expansion teams would likely have picks #1 and #2 in the draft that they enter - Bad news for any team rebuilding at that time - Hurricanes, Leafs, Canucks.
I thought they were slotted in at the end and got #31 and #32

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If I'm not mistaken you don't have to protect prospects and non NHL players.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Players in their first year of ELC are protected automatically. Anyone further along must be protected by selection.

McDavid would be protected, but would Draisaitl? And either way, by the time the expansion draft rolls around (at least 1 year if not 2) we will have our hands full - none of our golden boys will be on first year of ELC thats for sure.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think the league would do that this time but can you imagine if they did and it cost the Leafs the number one pick? :popcorn:

Their media and fan base went ape **** this year when their 4th to last place finish didn't land them Macdavid.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The big question is are players with NMC exempt from the expansion draft?

For our purposes I don't think it is going to be particularly important, but no, most indicators point to a likelihood that they would have to be protected. NHLPA may dispute but otherwise NHL would proceed.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don't think the league would do that this time but can you imagine if they did and it cost the Leafs the number one pick? :popcorn:

Their media and fan base went ape **** this year when their 4th to last place finish didn't land them Macdavid.

Honestly, I think this is most important for Arizona.

Auston Matthews was born in Scottsdale, AZ. Unheard of. Top talent, coming from the desert? Arizona has been tightening the belt and preparing to tank for a while. The franchise, from both a business and hockey perspective desperately need Auston Matthews. I don't think they'll be able to acquire him by trade if they can't land him via tanking. The league has been paying the bills there so I'm sure they would very much like to see Auston Matthews land there as well.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Also worth noting that last time in the expansion draft, you could make trades if the other team agreed to not select a certain player - the Sharks made a deal with the BJs, sending them minor assets to not take Nabokov.

Also interesting (via Wikipedia)

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

Meaning, I think, all your prospect goalies are belong to Vegas. Tampa, Anaheim, Washington would have to protect the Vasilievsky's/Gibsons/Samsonov's of the world, thereby opening other holes on their roster.

A total of 7 goalies were taken in the expansion draft last time.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Also worth noting that last time in the expansion draft, you could make trades if the other team agreed to not select a certain player - the Sharks made a deal with the BJs, sending them minor assets to not take Nabokov.

Also interesting (via Wikipedia)

Meaning, I think, all your prospect goalies are belong to Vegas. Tampa, Anaheim, Washington would have to protect the Vasilievsky's/Gibsons/Samsonov's of the world, thereby opening other holes on their roster.

A total of 7 goalies were taken in the expansion draft last time.

I expect the rules will change a fair bit from last time. That was 15 years ago, the dynamics of the game have changed a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00