Expansion Draft

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think the new teams will have any issues adding cap. Do you know how many teams would be chomping at the bit to leave the likes of Semin unprotected hoping the expansion teams take em?

Just look at the guys we would leave unprotected. Desharnais 3.5 million, Emelin 3.9 million, Markov maybe? 6 million

And why would those teams want to take on guys like Clarkson & Pronger? I don't think those teams want to be dumping grounds for bad long term contracts just so they can get to the cap. They'd be better off just offering mega deals at 12-14m for top UFAs that no one else can match. And I don't see the league wanting that to happen.

By the way there is virtually no chance that we leave Markov unprotected, even Emelin and Desharnais are doubtful.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
And why would those teams want to take on guys like Clarkson & Pronger? I don't think those teams want to be dumping grounds for bad long term contracts just so they can get to the cap. They'd be better off just offering mega deals at 12-14m for top UFAs that no one else can match. And I don't see the league wanting that to happen.

By the way there is virtually no chance that we leave Markov unprotected, even Emelin and Desharnais are doubtful.

Yeah but if it's anything like this UFA season, there wont be much for top end talent available.

Either way they will have no issues adding contracts to hit the salary floor.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
now that we have a salary floor, won't they have trouble respecting it by picking up every 4th liner in the league?

legit question
Teams with bad contract will use the draft to dump players on the expansion teams. Edit: The other factor is you have to project the Habs roster 2 years down the road. The Habs would be in a pretty bad place if Emelin and DD are still sucking up cap space by the expansion draft.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
On the topic of DD. He's one of our best 9 forwards(especially since guys like DLR won't need to be protected), of course they will protect him.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
now that we have a salary floor, won't they have trouble respecting it by picking up every 4th liner in the league?

legit question

I don't think so since many teams would use the draft to unload salary. Then the new teams would have to draft accordingly to respect the floor.

For example, I could see Philadelphia letting Lecavalier unprotected, then Quebec drafting him for floor-cap purpose and marketing (while still have a player with a certain value).

EDIT: Moreover, new teams could overpay a bit to attract KHL free agents.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I Keep saying how a team in Québec would be he only way DD is shipped out of here. But people who keep saying to just not protect him and let him go show how hatred takes a backseat to logic. You obviously protect DD....AND THEN you trade him to them. They will be willing to pay a bigger price than what you'll ever have.

No hatred here. Several people, hockey insiders included, think DD would clear waiver/expansion draft. Nothing against the person.

You leave him unprotected and hope this is all they see :

jH5Kenv.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think so since many teams would use the draft to unload salary. Then the new teams would have to draft accordingly to respect the floor.

For example, I could see Philadelphia letting Lecavalier unprotected, then Quebec drafting him for floor-cap purpose and marketing (while still have a player with a certain value).

EDIT: Moreover, new teams could overpay a bit to attract KHL free agents.

Lecavalier has an NMC.
Speaking of which, I'd like to see the ramifications of such clauses on the draft (and the need to protect players).

Like, the Habs could simply not protect Petry and the later could just say "I'm not moving".

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Lecavalier has an NMC.
Speaking of which, I'd like to see the ramifications of such clauses on the draft (and the need to protect players).

Like, the Habs could simply not protect Petry and the later could just say "I'm not moving".

True. Very interesting to see if such clause is valid in a protected-unprotected draft dillema.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I have a feeling people expecting their bad contracts to be taken off their hands by the expansion teams will be sorely disappointed.

That said in the past teams were forced to leave someone unprotected and then traded a low pick to the expansion team to not pick that player. Maybe this time around it will be the opposite and teams will offer picks for the expansion teams to select a bad contract.

But the hypothetical draft would be in the summer of 2017, so the landscape would be completely different.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

No hatred here. Several people, hockey insiders included, think DD would clear waiver/expansion draft. Nothing against the person.

jH5Kenv.jpg

Many decent players would clear. A GM would go for the best available piece and work down. Not randomly pick.

So not surprising whatsoever IMO. They'd rather go for players who fit a role rather than players who are stop gaps. When they suck, they'll get 1st overall and draft a star and won't need to worry about the rest.

Last edited:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Yeah but if it's anything like this UFA season, there wont be much for top end talent available.

Either way they will have no issues adding contracts to hit the salary floor.

Next year's potential UFA list is amazing, 10x better than the one from this year. However, most players will probably sign extensions, although they might be enticed to play the market if they feel expansions teams will overpay.

2016 UFAs include: Kopitar, E. Staal, Stamkos, Giordano, Voracek, Nik Backstrom, Hudler, Yandle Coburn, Byfuglien, Backes, Seabrook, Okposo, Ladd, Goligoski, Erik Johnson, Campbell, Lucic, Perron, Plekanec, Nielsen, Cam Ward, Grabner, Vrbata, Loui Eriksson, Hiller, Hamhuis, Quincey, Sutter, and the list goes on.

There are so many top6 and top pairing players it's actually pretty crazy.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You guys are delusional if you think MB would EVER leave Desharnais unprotected.

The reason this guy is the #1 C on this team is NOT because they can't get rid of him.

It's because they want him there. They like what he brings.

The worst part is he may indeed go unclaimed in an expansion draft.

Actually, no, what's worse is that I can guarantee you right now that this guy gets a contract extension in 2 years. No dicking him around like Subban/Galchenyuk either. He'll get it nice and easy.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
True. Very interesting to see if such clause is valid in a protected-unprotected draft dillema.

My guess would be that such clauses would be meaningless in an expansion draft. A NMC is negotiated between team and player (the right is the player's and the onus to uphold the right is the obligation of the team). In an expansion draft scenario, neither team nor player would have the authority to block a potential claim since the NMC essentially has no jurisdiction.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
2016 UFAs include: Kopitar, E. Staal, Stamkos, Giordano, Voracek, Nik Backstrom, Hudler, Yandle Coburn, Byfuglien, Backes, Seabrook, Okposo, Ladd, Goligoski, Erik Johnson, Campbell, Lucic, Perron, Plekanec, Nielsen, Cam Ward, Grabner, Vrbata, Loui Eriksson, Hiller, Hamhuis, Quincey, Sutter, and the list goes on.

I went ahead and bolded the only players that will ever even sniff UFA from that list.

I don't even think all the bolded ones make it to UFA honestly.

I have heard the "promising UFA class!" argument many times before, with Gainey, with Gauthier... There will be garbage left over, just like always.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
No way would he go unclaimed in an expansion draft. Have you seen some of the players who get picked in those drafts?

Oh my goodness, McGuire said this! Didn't McGuire also freak about us picking Price? Didn't he also go nuts on every single Canada prospect ever?

Last edited by a moderator:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
No way would he go unclaimed in an expansion draft. Have you seen some of the players who get picked in those drafts?

Good to see we can get another Desharnais thread. Was scared we were gonna miss our monthly quota!

Oh my goodness, McGuire said this! Didn't McGuire also freak about us picking Price? Didn't he also go nuts on every single Canada prospect ever?

He said we should have taken Kopitar.

Do you really disagree? In 10 years we still don't have anything close to a Kopitar.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I went ahead and bolded the only players that will ever even sniff UFA from that list.

I don't even think all the bolded ones make it to UFA honestly.

I have heard the "promising UFA class!" argument many times before, with Gainey, with Gauthier... There will be garbage left over, just like always.

I wouldn't call those players garbage though lol. I'd be ecstatic to have Grabner, Perron or any of those forwards on the habs. Hamhuis is amazing too. Can you imagine how good the habs dcorps would be if we added on Hamhuis. I get what you're saying though and I highly doubt more than 3 or 4 of those guys go unsigned.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I wouldn't call those players garbage though lol. I'd be ecstatic to have Grabner, Perron or any of those forwards on the habs. Hamhuis is amazing too. Can you imagine how good the habs dcorps would be if we added on Hamhuis. I get what you're saying though and I highly doubt more than 3 or 4 of those guys go unsigned.

If the Canadian dollar remains weak and the cap stays the same, I can see several of those guys hitting free agency. It's the current reality in the NHL.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

jH5Kenv.jpg

McGuire is fun and sometimes real insightful...but he has no clue what the Québec management will do whatsoever. Look back at the exercice that was made in that thread....put Barberio instead of Emelin, and tell me who between Flynn, Mitchell, Gilbert and Desharnais would be claim for us....

Now, what you responded wasn't even my point. Québec WILL want to have some franco local flavor to it. Look at every team, and tell me which franco won't be protected that Québec could claim AND that could be better than DD. Answer can't be a lot. DD, if available, then becomes valuable to that franchise. Now based on that....which franco could also be traded for the same "local" reason. Will the Québec management choose Lecavalier or Desharnais? There's already a history with Desharnais and this province, I think that he will most definatley be picked.....but so easily that he should be traded. And even if you just can't have a 2nd round pick....that would be awesome.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
About Desharnais... Well its very unlikely the Habs leave him unprotected. Forget about what you want or would like to happen for a second, he's well appreciated by the org and his teammates and considered an important top6 forward.

I know it makes HFboards cringe and a number of very vocal people here would pay plane tickets to fly him out of Montreal but that is the reality of the situation.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
It's one thing to unprotect DD or Emelin (which I don't agree with, they have value, but our GM is too chicken to act upon it), but leaving Markov unprotected is beyond ludicrous. The amount of disrespect this long time hab is getting is ****ing revolting.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If the Canadian dollar remains weak and the cap stays the same, I can see several of those guys hitting free agency. It's the current reality in the NHL.

Yeah I suppose that's true. Picking up one of these guys could be the boost the habs need to reach the next level. Should be interesting. Imagine Kopitar in a habs uni. Won't happen but it would be awesome to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad