Speculation: Expansion Draft

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So this was a topic on the main board and to be honest I don't really know what we will do. Expansion seems to be coming, with two teams being probable. So when Columbus and Minnesota came in the league you were allowed to protect:

One goaltender, five D-man and nine forwards or two goalies, three D-man, and seven forwards.

Of note some of our AHL guys would be out there if this does take place as I think anybody with 2 years of pro has to be protected. So Ferraro and Sheahan might be eligible for teams, scary version they wait a full year and we have to protect Mrazek and Jurco maybe. Not really sure exactly how that works but our over-ripe policy might be a disaster if this does come about.

So who would you protect and why?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Not really sure exactly how that works but our over-ripe policy might be a disaster if this does come about.
Does it matter? Whether they're overripe in the AHL or playing in the NHL, they'd either have to be protected or eligible to be drafted. Right?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the three I would leave unprotected that have the best chance of going are

Protect:

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Weiss, Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan, Ferraro

If we don't need to protect Sheahan or Ferraro, probably Franzen and Andersson

Defense:

Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, don't think we need to protect DeKeyser

Goalie:

Howard

I would hope that both Miller and Lashoff are claimed, that is who I would leave out there as attractive options. Might be where we dump Franzen's deal though. Most of what will be available for us is UFA guys, they don't have to sign once picked. So maybe you protect Lashoff and leave Quincey out there.

If we don't have to protect the minors guys and DeKeyser we can protect Andersson, but I like both Sheahan and Ferraro more, though Babcock would probably be very angry if he is out there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Does it matter? Whether they're overripe in the AHL or playing in the NHL, they'd either have to be protected or eligible to be drafted. Right?

The hard part is figuring out where the cutoff line is on that, each expansion draft has worked a little different. But I don't like the idea of slow playing Sheahan and Ferraro for another team to just snatch them up.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I would hope that both Miller and Lashoff are claimed, that is who I would leave out there as attractive options. Might be where we dump Franzen's deal though. Most of what will be available for us is UFA guys, they don't have to sign once picked. So maybe you protect Lashoff and leave Quincey out there.

Why? Miller was our number one guy of the forwards on the PK. He clearly played more there than any other guy.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.
At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

Now, most likely wouldn't be those numbers, but surely NHL would add a twist like that to leave decent players open for grabs.

One goaltender, five D-man and nine forwards

Goalie:

Howard

Defense:

Kronwall
Ericsson
Kindl
Smith
DeKeyser(if not needed, I'll guess Quincey would be the guy)

Forwards:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen
Helm
Weiss
Abdelkader
Miller(Andersson if needed to)
Tatar
Nyquist

That would leave us with:

Gustavsson
Lashoff
(Quincey)
(Andersson)
Alfredsson (most likely not on the team at that point)
Bertuzzi
Eaves
Emmerton
Samuelsson
Tootoo

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

And now I'll understand why did they use Lashoff that much at last season, when there was a no real reason for it.

Another 39 games for him (played 31 at last season), and Lashoff is that unprotected guy that protects us to lose a better defenceman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why? Miller was our number one guy of the forwards on the PK. He clearly played more there than any other guy.

Miller is a dime a dozen guy for me, easier replaced with cheaper younger talent. I don't think he is a bad player, but he is what he is. I can do without the end of his contract and think Andersson, Sheahan, and Ferraro will all be solid PK guys at this level. You also have to think with Helm back he is our number one guy, Abdelkader can pk and is heavier and more aggressive. Callahan and Glendening could be there by the end of Miller's deal.

He will probably be claimed, but it isn't the worst thing to have happen.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I would not protect Abby. Abby is the definition of dime a dozen.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
With more teams in the league, I'm not sure you need to have the same restrictions. In fact, if I'm starting a franchise I'd rather have teams be able to keep more players protected and have my new franchise get multiple high 1sts in the first couple of years. Maybe the two new teams pick 1st/11th/20th, 2nd/10th/21st or something.

No precedent for it, but I'd rather have the young high-end talent than build the bulk of my roster by picking through other teams' garbage looking for Darryl Laplantes.

Also, Ericsson, Eaves, Quincey and Gustavsson are all UFA after this season, and that'd be the absolute earliest you'd see an expansion draft. Wings have plenty of forwards to leave exposed and there aren't really any Dmen left to expose after you take E and Q off the table as UFAs. I'd trade a bag of pucks for Kent Huskins again just in case they need someone with tenure to leave open.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
And now I'll understand why did they use Lashoff that much at last season, when there was a no real reason for it.

Another 39 games for him (played 31 at last season), and Lashoff is that unprotected guy that protects us to lose a better defenceman.

Can you imagine the brass having that kind of foresight? I mean, I know it's their jobs and all, but wow, that would make sense.

RedWingsNow*

Not a chance.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Can you imagine the brass having that kind of foresight? I mean, I know it's their jobs and all, but wow, that would make sense.

And they play him in the playoffs... why?

He got replaced with CC and the team was instantly better, then DD goes down and Lashoff is back in the picture.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Miller is a dime a dozen guy for me, easier replaced with cheaper younger talent. I don't think he is a bad player, but he is what he is. I can do without the end of his contract and think Andersson, Sheahan, and Ferraro will all be solid PK guys at this level. You also have to think with Helm back he is our number one guy, Abdelkader can pk and is heavier and more aggressive. Callahan and Glendening could be there by the end of Miller's deal.

He will probably be claimed, but it isn't the worst thing to have happen.

Miller is dime a dozen? I mean, I get that it's a 4th line guy we are talking about...but he's awesome on the PK, and he's a great forechecker. For someone that plays 4th line, he's pretty darn solid

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Miller is dime a dozen? I mean, I get that it's a 4th line guy we are talking about...but he's awesome on the PK, and he's a great forechecker. For someone that plays 4th line, he's pretty darn solid

Yeah, not every 3rd/4th liner who has a cheap salary is easy to replace.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I like Miller a lot.

But there's not much he does or offers that I don't think couldn't be reasonably performed (or exceeded) by someone from GR. And at the end of the day, it's another roster spot being used up for someone that isn't ever going to be more than he is.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, not every 3rd/4th liner who has a cheap salary is easy to replace.

With guys like Sheahan, Ferraro, Glendening, etc. on their way up, I don't think it would be very hard for this team to swallow on paper. I'm sure the guys would miss him in the dressing room, though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Miller came here after getting waived twice. He is an extremely skinny 6'2" guy, he is solid on the pk but we have stunk on the pk with him even there lately. He is what he is as far as that, there are others that present upside or more physical games at the AHL level. I don't think he needs a three year contract and he just went from an extremely cheap option to a meh, he is okay but shouldn't block guys kind of player. Even with the cap going up that half million dollar difference a year changes how he should be looked at. He is a fairly invisible player for large stretches of his career here, I don't hate the guy, but we have pieces that can do his job coming up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Miller came here after getting waived twice. He is an extremely skinny 6'2" guy, he is solid on the pk but we have stunk on the pk with him even there lately. He is what he is as far as that, there are others that present upside or more physical games at the AHL level. I don't think he needs a three year contract and he just went from an extremely cheap option to a meh, he is okay but shouldn't block guys kind of player. Even with the cap going up that half million dollar difference a year changes how he should be looked at. He is a fairly invisible player for large stretches of his career here, I don't hate the guy, but we have pieces that can do his job coming up.

especially when we already had Eaves, who is better at even strength and could have seen a bigger PK role, still under contract. Miller was just unnecessary. With the expansion draft, depending on the parameters, leaving Miller unprotected wouldn't bother me at all for the same reason Sunshine mentions.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
The expansion draft would take place before FA began, correct?

I doubt it. You'd just have all your teams leaving their pending UFAs unprotected.

They did it on June 23rd in 2000 and that very thing happened - Dallas Drake, Mathieu Schneider, and Dwayne Roloson were all pending UFAs, got picked, and then signed somewhere else a week later. That's just pointless and I'd have to assume they wouldn't do it again.

As it happened, the new teams ended up with a bunch of backup goalies, a bunch of 6th defensemen, and a bunch of bottom 6 forwards. I'd rather have extra draft picks than that load of rot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Maybe this is the favor the Wings need to unload the logjam in the bottom 6. ;)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Maybe this is the favor the Wings need to unload the logjam in the bottom 6. ;)

Oh god. I wish it was required that some of your players are not only unprotected, but need to be drafted by the expansion teams. And if it happens next year then Jurco, Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Ferraro are pretty much all knocking on the door.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk

Holland is a genius. It's like he is looking into his magic 8 ball as we speak..planning his next move...*evil laugh*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad