Expansion Draft - Who To Protect?

J1S

May 12, 2014
Name me all the players you would rather protect over Beck. If players in the minors do not need to be protected that is...

I don't even think he's the worst on most lists... He will be better than Panik and Bailey.

JVR
Kadri
Panik
Holland
Komarov
Reilly
Gardiner
Phaneuf
Marincin

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Name me all the players you would rather protect over Beck. If players in the minors do not need to be protected that is...

I don't even think he's the worst on most lists... He will be better than Panik and Bailey.

9F, 5D, 1G?

Automatically you need to protect those with NTC/NMC I believe..

1. JVR
2. Kadri
3. Bozak
4. Winnik
5. Panik
6. Holland
7. Lupul
8. Komarov
9. Beck/Bailey - Does Hymen count due to age? IF he does, then i'd protect him.

The problem is that there are guys I would take over Beck/Bailey/Hymen, but they are on 1 year contracts so will be traded at the deadline. Furthermore, we may actually land some roster players we like in trades later in the year for proven roster players, although we can remove them (the proven players) off of our protected list too. Difficult to say as this expansion draft will take place in the off-season.

Looking at the list again, i'd probably leave Lupul off the list unprotected and hope someone takes him. Good lord our team is horrawful.

1. Phaneuf
2. Robidas
3. Rielly
4. Gardiner
5. Marcinin

I'd protect Polak but think he will depart from the team.

Bernier

forget that, why are we protecting Bozak and Phaneuf?

As "meh" as they are, and even if we "lost" the trade by not getting enough for them, i'd still rather get B prospects or 3rd/2nd round picks then not get them at all.

Lupul i'm just flat out unsure if we can move.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
If we send Casey Bailey down to the minors, do we have to protect him still? He's only a half-year younger than Panik and Beck. But Panik (151 NHL GP) and Beck (85 NHL GP) have plenty of pro experience under their belt. They both probably have AHL experience too I bet. Bailey is green (6 NHL GP, no other pro experience. Just NCAA and junior) and needs seasoning in the AHL to gain much-needed pro experience.

Protect

James van Riemsdyk (3 year contract with good value)
Nazem Kadri (restricted free agent)
Daniel Winnik (2 year contract with great value)
Leo Komarov (3 year contract. Think he's overpaid and overrated. It's only $2.95 mil/yr. Not a big deal)
Taylor Beck (restricted free agent)
Peter Holland (restricted free agent)
Richard Panik (restricted free agent)
2/4 of unrestricted free agent FWs (keep ones with most trade value): P-A Parenteau, Nick Spaling, Mark Arcobello, Shawn Matthias

Jake Gardiner (4 year contract. I think he's overpaid and overrated. But his contract is not that bad. We've got the cap space. We can afford to be patient with him)
Morgan Rielly (restricted free agent)
Martin Marincin? (restricted free agent)
Matt Hunwick? (2 year deal)
Roman Polak: we can trade him before the deadline for pick(s) and/or prospect + NHL player (esp if it's a short-term cap dump). We could even retain salary on Polak to sweeten the deal.

Don't Protect

Joffrey Lupul (way overpaid)
Tyler Bozak (overpaid)
2/4 of unrestricted free agent FWs (leave unprotected ones with least trade value): P-A Parenteau, Nick Spaling, Mark Arcobello, Shawn Matthias

Dion Phaneuf (bloated contract)
Stephane Robidas (getting up there in age. Probably going to retire in 2017)
TJ Brennan (unrestricted free agent with little value)

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The massive influx of no-trade and no-move clauses would create quite an interesting debate for what the rules surrounding those players must be.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think anyone who has a no move/limit no move you are required to have on your protected list.

However you can always ask the player if he wants to go to the expansion team if it is a limited no trade. I think this is the only fair way to do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad