Expansion Draft - Who To Protect?

Miller91

Jan 2, 2009
With the likelyhood of a 2 team NHL Expansion coming either next year or the year after - I'm curious as to who everyone would protect. I will be posting the 2000 Draft rules and will be updating this post in a few days with the results.

Rules
26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. The Atlanta Thrashers and Nashville Predators had their entire rosters protected, as they were the two newest franchises in the league, only being in existence for one and two years respectively.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

52 players were chosen in the draft, two from each participating franchise. Only one goaltender or one defenseman could be selected from each franchise. Both the Blue Jackets and the Wild were to use their first 24 selections on three goaltenders, eight defensemen, and thirteen forwards. The final two picks for each team could be any position.

Minor league players do not need to be protected - but ELC in NHL do (I believe).

I would protect:

F - Van Riemsdyk
F - Kadri
F - Komarov
F - Winnik
F - Bailey
F - Panik
F - Beck
F - Holland
F - Bozak

D - Phaneuf
D - Gardiner
D - Hunwick
D - Rielly
D - Marincin

G - Bernier

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With the likelyhood of a 2 team NHL Expansion coming either next year or the year after - I'm curious as to who everyone would protect. I will be posting the 2000 Draft rules and will be updating this post in a few days with the results.

Minor league players do not need to be protected - but ELC in NHL do (I believe).

I would protect:

F - Van Riemsdyk
F - Kadri
F - Komarov
F - Winnik
F - Bailey
F - Panik
F - Beck
F - Holland
F - Bozak

D - Phaneuf
D - Gardiner
D - Hunwick
D - Rielly
D - Marincin

G - Bernier

many of those players won't be on the Team to protect

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Anyone understand why if you choose to protect a second goalie, you lose out on protecting four other players? That seems a little excessive, doesn't it?

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
You have to protect players with no trade/move clauses if I remember correctly so you'd have to protect guys like Robidas.

MacerV

Jul 10, 2015
Depends on who the goalie/players are. The option is there if needed.

Miller91

Jan 2, 2009
You have to protect players with no trade/move clauses if I remember correctly so you'd have to protect guys like Robidas.

Is that true? Well, that would be disastrous for a lot of teams.

EDIT: The CBA does not reference Expansion Drafts apparently.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I feel like this is like the 3rd thread like this in the past two months :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's sad when you don't feel like protecting the maximum amount of players available to you lol.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Phaneuf, Winnik, Komarov, Gardiner, Bernier.

That's it really.... Then some guys that may be on the main roster (Percy, Granberg etc)

I assume if expansion is for 16-17, the expansion will take place the weekend before the draft.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

I would protect:

F - Van Riemsdyk
F - Kadri
F - Komarov
F - Winnik
F - Bailey
F - Panik
F - Beck
F - Holland
F - Bozak

D - Phaneuf
D - Gardiner
D - Hunwick
D - Rielly
D - Marincin

G - Bernier

Any team willing to pick up Phaneufs entire contract is doing the leafs a huge favour.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
On the current roster, there isn't much to protect. Most of the guys will be traded by the 2017-2018 season. The ones who won't either will be protected, won't qualify to be protected, or won't be worth protecting (and likely won't even be traded).

Based on the FA's left on the market, a team could actually get a decent start without even picking anyone. There are enough bottom 6ers and bottom 4 defenseman left on the market to be playoff caliber in those areas. There are even some tweener top 6 types left on the market to get a start on.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Up to date, expansion teams have always been weak. They start out with a weak roster and a barren prospect cupboard.

This expansion draft will be more interesting though because they'll be able to sign quality (but overpaid) players in the Top 6, Top 4 D and in goal this time. Pre-salary cap, a lot of teams couldn't afford to hold onto their stars. But they were usually able to trade those players to a wealthier team. So there was little incentive to leave Top 6 forwards, Top 4 D and starting goalies unprotected.

That said, the expansion teams probably won't be competitive. They'll be stuck with a bunch of overpaid core players and misfits and have a pretty empty prospect cupboard to start. Maybe they'll sign some quality bottom 6 guys and borderline top 6 guys for good value in unrestricted free agency.

In the old days though, they would have just been stuck with a bunch of misfits. It was harder to get value out of free agency back then because of how much money Toronto, Detroit, New York, Philadelphia, etc. were able to throw at guys. Nowadays, these teams can't splurge on free agency so much anymore because they have to mind the cap.

Last edited:

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Lol why would we be protecting Beck
-Taylor Beck is a good fourth liner. Average goal scorer (0.5 goals/60 in 85 NHL games). Good playmaker (Assist count is a little low at 0.69/60 in 85. Average for a fourth-liner is 0.73/60. But he's got 0.5 first assists/60 in 85. Fourth line average is 0.43/60).
- He was averaging over 1.5 PPG with the Guelph Storm in the OHL in his last two seasons.
- He'll be a restricted free agent next season
-It'll be cheap to offer him a qualifying offer next season because he's on a reasonable contract ($875k/1yr).
-We own his rights until he's 27 for the most part (unless we don't qualify him. Or he takes us to arbitration next year and becomes an unrestricted free agent a year earlier at 26. Though most of the time, players and teams settle before going to arbitration. Or another team submits an offer sheet for him. Which is taboo in the NHL)

Considering how many unrestricted free agents we have on 1 year contracts, there's no point in protecting them. They're not going to get that much of a return at the trade deadline. And we could end up losing them for nothing anyway if no one wants to rent their services for 20+ games and the playoffs. Except for the overpaid players (ie. Lupul), the UFAs have the least trade value out of all of our players.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
-Taylor Beck is a good fourth liner. Average goal scorer (0.5 goals/60 in 85 NHL games). Good playmaker (Assist count is a little low at 0.69/60 in 85. Average for a fourth-liner is 0.73/60. But he's got 0.5 first assists/60 in 85. Fourth line average is 0.43/60).
- He was averaging over 1.5 PPG with the Guelph Storm in the OHL in his last two seasons.
- He'll be a restricted free agent next season
-It'll be cheap to offer him a qualifying offer next season because he's on a reasonable contract ($875k/1yr).
-We own his rights until he's 27.

Considering how many unrestricted free agents we have on 1 year contracts, there's no point in protecting them. They're not going to get that much of a return at the trade deadline. And we could end up losing them for nothing anyway if no one wants to rent their services for 20+ games and the playoffs. Except for the overpaid players (ie. Lupul), the UFAs have the least trade value out of all of our players.

Why are we protecting Beck?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
i say we only protect the players worth protecting, and use the rest of the slots on players we acquire on discounts from other teams unable to protect all their good players.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Why are we protecting Beck?
Because we have a ton of players on one-year contracts who will become unrestricted free agents anyways. These are assets that we won't get much in return for at the trade deadline. Or they will leave the team for nothing. Taylor Beck will be a restricted free agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad