Confirmed Signing with Link: Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
If I'm Vegas I take Fleury, Mrazek, Raanta, Grubauer, Pickard and Subban. Hoard the goalies, trade whichever ones bring the most back.

Neal - Shipachyov - Stempniak
Perron - Marchesseault - Dano
McGinn - Karlsson - Hudon
Boucher - Dowd - Shaw
Rychel - Weal

Methot - Dumba
De Haan - Van Riemsdyk
Dillon - Dotchin
Merill - Hamhuis
Reinhart - Kulak

Fleury/Mrazek/Grubauer/Raanta/Pickard/Subban

Something like this.. and they will have over three 1st rounders and many more picks from what they can trade. Vegas will be in a good spot.
As a Sabres fan, that looks perfect!

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I am seeing a lot of mocks where Vegas takes Bobby Ryan over Methot. Is that plausible?

There is a better D crop for sure, which does make forwards more valuable...but I still think it's wishful thinking that Vegas takes Ryan.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I am seeing a lot of mocks where Vegas takes Bobby Ryan over Methot. Is that plausible?

There is a better D crop for sure, which does make forwards more valuable...but I still think it's wishful thinking that Vegas takes Ryan.

It all depends on the side deals. There's a lot more defencemen available and not many top 6 forwards. Taking Marchessault, Neal and Ryan gives Vegas a legit top line (not elite by any measure, but three first line players).

I could also see Ottawa paying Vegas to take Ryan over Methot, or other teams paying Vegas to pick Methot then trade him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No, a player has to be on a team's reserve list at the trade deadline to be eligible for an 8 year deal.

No they can't.

Thanks. I did not know that.

As for Ottawa's expansion situation, if I were McPhee I'd select Claesson over both Methot and Ryan.

Claesson is a young blueliner who can play big minutes right away, and who could be a building block.

A Claesson-Dumba duo would be a very nice first pairing.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It all depends on the side deals. There's a lot more defencemen available and not many top 6 forwards. Taking Marchessault, Neal and Ryan gives Vegas a legit top line (not elite by any measure, but three first line players).

I could also see Ottawa paying Vegas to take Ryan over Methot, or other teams paying Vegas to pick Methot then trade him.

Bingo. And I'd be totally fine with that.

With all-due respect to MAF, I think Ryan is the slightly more marketable star player, and his contract doesn't scare me one bit. The fact that it's for five more years is actually a good thing, since it will allow us to trade players left and right in the next two seasons, knowing that he'll always be locked down to the first line. The inflated cap hit also keeps us well above the floor throughout each season and trade deadline. Then, when we're ready to compete in Year 3 or 4, Ryan is still there as a veteran forward with scoring punch in our Top 6.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Thanks. I did not know that.

As for Ottawa's expansion situation, if I were McPhee I'd select Claesson over both Methot and Ryan.

Claesson is a young blueliner who can play big minutes right away, and who could be a building block.

I'm not convinced that Claesson can play 'big minutes right away' over the course of a full season. This is a player who, for his first 26 games played this past season, never broke the 15 minute TOI mark. He only started to get more minutes when the Senators went through defenseman injury hell circa March 30.

Maybe in the future he'll prove to be a reliable full-season big-minutes defender. But for the majority of his most recent season, he has been... not that.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
R. Smith - Shipachyov - Rust
Hudon - Weal - Bennett
Aberg - Lindberg - Dowd
Khaira - Kruger - Richardson

Nordstrom/Carrier/Rychel/Rodin/Dano

De Haan - Vatanen
Hamhuis - Dumba
Claesson - Schlemko

C. Miller/Kulak/Dotchin

Mrazek
Pickard
Grubauer
Korpisalo

Eakin is not the solution for the 2C spot imo. They need to trade for another center and then sign a few wingers. Trade 2 of the goalies for forward help.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Of course he is...

What do you expect MB/Radulov to say?

"Well, we already have a deal worked out and we are just waiting to sign it in order to circumvent the draft."

Not saying it is guaranteed he will come back, but I would take the current negotiation troubles with a grain of salt.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I'm still tripping that Islanders left Nelson, Bailey, De Haan, unprotected . Wtf !!!

They're all on cheap contracts , I'd love any of them on the Kings

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
A lot Vegas proposals are being thrown around with teams in their division...

Other than an apparent sweetheart deal for Anaheim.. wouldn't it be fair to ignore any and all proposals where Vegas is dealing big with a division rival?

i.e. Dustin Brown or any goalie (Raanta/Grubauer) to the Yotes via Vegas..

Boy if I'm a new expansion team owner who has just ponied up $500M I'd sure be pissed at my GM if he gives a sweetheart deal to a team in my division.

This is the only time in the next several years that LVG is going to be relevant -- let alone in any position of strength. Helping Anaheim out with a logjam on defense with anything remotely close to any sort of a "sweetheart" deal would be a fireable offense if I were that owner.

McPhee is not that dumb is he?

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Neal - Shipachyov - perron
boedker - nelson - marchasaault
stempniak - Plekanec - grabner
Raffl - bonino - karlsson
mcginn
Grigorenko

hamhuis - Dumba
mcnabb - tvr
theodore - Bogosian
methot - sustr
merill

mrazek
Grubauer
subban

dano
Shinkaruk
Gaunce
Leipsic
Koekkoek
Reinhart

Honestly this team makes the playoffs.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Here's a thing I don't understand: a rule says...

The Golden Knights can trade any player selected in the expansion draft, but not back to the team that they were selected from until January 1st, 2018.

Does that mean that just Vegas can't trade him to that team, or that he's not allowed to go there until Jan?
Could he be traded to another team and from there back to his old team?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Here's a thing I don't understand: a rule says...

The Golden Knights can trade any player selected in the expansion draft, but not back to the team that they were selected from until January 1st, 2018.

Does that mean that just Vegas can't trade him to that team, or that he's not allowed to go there until Jan?
Could he be traded to another team and from there back to his old team?

Vegas cannot trade the player back to the team from which he was selected before January 1st.

This means if Vegas submits a trade to the NHL before that date which involves a player returning to his original team, then the NHL will not approve it and the trade will not go through.

Yes, Vegas can trade a player to another team and then that team may trade the player to his original team.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
A lot Vegas proposals are being thrown around with teams in their division...

Other than an apparent sweetheart deal for Anaheim.. wouldn't it be fair to ignore any and all proposals where Vegas is dealing big with a division rival?

i.e. Dustin Brown or any goalie (Raanta/Grubauer) to the Yotes via Vegas..

Didn't Montreal and Tampa just make a big deal within their division? Anaheim and Edmonton have a history of dealing with each other.

I don't think it's as big a deal as fans think.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
For fun, I took a shot at a win-now line-up. Most of you will question some of the veterans but I don't think they are terrible choices when given very little alternatives. For example, Plekanec has a hefty contract and is declining, but Montreal has not much else to give and the contract only has one year left, and centre is definitely a position of value for Vegas. I have Strome in my line-up, but you gotta think Islanders has some sort of deal in place with that wacky protection list. Other choices I valued veteran goal scorers ie. Grabner/Ryan over other picks like Raanta or Methot where similiar players were available on most other teams. They can act as stop gaps until the younger players, and possible new draftees are ready to take on larger roles. All fits under the cap and still has a decent prospect pool not in the starting line-up.

Neal - Strome - Ryan
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Grabner
Perron - Marchessault - Boedker
Pulkinnen - Grigorenko - Stempniak
Etem

Hamhuis - Johnson
Dumba - Bogosian
Van Riemysdyk - Reinhart
McNabb

Fleury
Neuvrith
Grubauer

Minors:

Shinkaruk, Rychel, Dano, Gaunce,
Koekkoek, Ouellette, Subban (G), Theodore (trade)

Again I'm not saying this is the best option for Vegas, but in some scenario where the NHL was putting on pressure to succeed out the gate, this would be my choice.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
If no deals are struck.

Grigorenko - Shipyachov - Strome
C.Wilson - Weal* - R.Smith
Paquette - Lindberg - Brouwer
Boucher - N.Shore - Rust
(Rychel, Dano)

J.Johnson - Shattenkirk*
Dillon - Vatanen
Methot - Dumba
(Van Riemsdyk)