Expansion Draft Thoughts

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I was reading about this earlier. If "you can protect 1 goalie, 5 defenders, 9 forwards or 2 goalies, 3 defensemen, 7 forwards, and you can't lose more than 2 players off your roster," who does Chiarelli realistically put up to potentially be grabbed?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Rask
Chara, Krug, Dougie, Morrow, Seids
Krejci, Lucic, Connolly, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Spooner, Koko, Loui

If it happens tomorrow. A lot can change though depending on prospects and additions and losses to free agency between now and the draft.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Expansion Draft? News to me. Details?

This is still at least a year away but Vegas is shooting for a 2016-7 start. They have pretty much met their ST goal ( over 9,000 sold so far ) so it looks like it will happen.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
how does the expansion draft account for players on 2-way deals/in the AHL? Can they just draft off the main roster?

If so, then you could stash some of the kids in the minors prior to the draft, right?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Rask
Chara, Krug, Dougie, Morrow, Seids
Krejci, Lucic, Connolly, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Spooner, Koko, Loui

If it happens tomorrow. A lot can change though depending on prospects and additions and losses to free agency between now and the draft.

I think you really need to evaluate Chara and Seids a lot.
If their injury is slowing them down this year, and they expect to come back next
year, then you protect them. Otherwise, expose Chara and probably Seids
and protect McQuaid and Miller .

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
By the time the draft happens I'd protect:

Rask
Hamilton, Krug, Morrow, McQuaid
Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Pasta, Marchand, Connolly, Soderberg, Spooner

Chara and Seidenberg I'd expose to the draft, it might be a blessing in disguise if someone takes Z and his cap hit for the last year or 2. He might refuse to go and might just retire.

That leaves a spot on offense and defense for a prospect to step up and still be protected.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I thought I read earlier this week that guys with NMC/NTC are automatically counted toward the protected. May be wrong, but it's something to consider as well as when certain contracts end.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This is still at least a year away but Vegas is shooting for a 2016-7 start. They have pretty much met their ST goal ( over 9,000 sold so far ) so it looks like it will happen.
Umm.....still not enough detail. Any commitments from League HQ?

I know Quebec is building a new rink to NHL standards but what guarantees does it have that it will have a team?

Big question is: Is there enough talent to go around? I know the owners would love the entry money, but does it have a committee signing agreements with potential franchise cities?

In other words, isn't it way premature to be discussing whom we would and would not protect, given the lack of certainty in this flight of fancy?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Haha last time there was any mention of this on our board I think people were still wanting to protect Malcolm Subban!!!!

I wonder if in a cap world teams are going to give the expansion team draft picks or players to take cap liabilities off their hands. Probably will.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Assuming the draft is summer of 2016 and Lucic has been re-signed to a new deal. Soderberg, McQuaid, Bartkowski, Paille and Campbell left after 2015, Eriksson, Kelly and Talbot after 2016.

Forwards: Lucic, Ferlin, Bergeron, Connolly, Spooner, Krejci, Pastrnak, Marchand, Khoklachev

Defense: Chara, Hamilton, Krug, Morrow, Miller

Goal: Rask

Exposed: Smith, Seidenberg, Subban, Svedberg, Griffith

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Here's an estimate of the rules an expansion draft might follow.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-expansion-draft-horizon/

1) Each franchise in the league is allowed to protect one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen and seven forwards.

2) Each franchise can only have one defenseman or one goaltender taken by an expansion team. In other words, if one of the expansion teams takes a goaltender, than the remaining choice from that team must be a forward.

Edit: I wanted to hear your thoughts on this topic, as I think it sheds some light on what the fans see this team as going forward. Also, I think expansion is a very real possibility.

3) Players with no-movement and/or no-trade clauses will not be eligible to be left unprotected by their current team, unless the player agrees to waive the clause.

4) Each franchise will be required to include players with a certain amount of NHL experience on their unprotected list.

5) Players who have been in the league for less than 2 seasons will be ineligible to be placed on the unprotected list.

6) If an expansion team chooses to select a player that is an upcoming free agent and fails to sign them prior to the upcoming season, that team will receive a compensatory draft pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad