TSN: Expansion Draft Simulator

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Protected

ANA
Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rackell, Silf, Cogliano, Vermette, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler and Gibson

Notes: Bieksa waives

ARI
McGinn, Reider, Duclair, Burmistrov, OEL, Gogo, Schenn, Murphy and Smith

BOS
Backes, Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Spooner, Nash, Chara, Krug, McQauid, and Rask

Notes: Last 1-2 forwards were tough, didn't get impression Boston would miss Belesky or Hayes.

BUF
ROR, Okposo, Kane, Ennis, Larsson, Girgensons, Foligno, Ristolainen, Bogosian, McCabe and Lehner

CAL
Monahan, Gaudreau, Frolik, Backlund, Ferland, Bennett, Lazar, Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, and Johnson

CAR
Staal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Stempniak, Nordstrom, Tervananien, Faulk, Dahlbeck, Murphy and Darling

CHI
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Anisimov, Panik, Hartman, Jurco, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Crawford

COL
MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene, Colborne, Comeau, Nieto, Grigorenko, Johnson, Zadorov, Barrie, and Varlamov

Notes: Beauchemin waives

CBJ
Saad, Dubinsky, Foligno, Hartnell, Atkinson, Jenner, Wennberg, Jones, Johnson, Savard and Bob

DAL
Spezza, Benn, Seguin, Roussell, Ritchie, Faksa, Nichushkin, Klingberg, Johns, Lindell, and Bishop

DET
Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Athanasiou, Green, Dekeyser, Kronwall and Mrazek

EDM
RNH, Eberle, Lucic, Draisitl, Kassian, Maroon, Letestu, Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson and Talbot

FLA
Barkov, Huberdeau, Trochek, Smith, Bjugstad, Marchessault, Mackenzie, Ekblad, Yandle, Pysyk, and Reimer

Note: Hard to decide between Jokinen and Mackenzie. I figured they'd keep the captain but if FLA fans think Jokinen over Mackenzie then that's fine too.

LAK
Kopitar, Carter, Pearson, Toffoli, Doughty, Muzzin, McNabb, Forbort, and Quick

MIN
Parise, Pominville, Koivu, Staal, Coyle, Zucker, Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dubnyk

MON
Patch, Gallagher, Shaw, Mitchell, Danault, Byron, Galchenyuk, Weber, Petry, Benn and Price

Note: Did not protect Markov because figure he'll just be re-signing

NSH
Johansen, Forsberg, Neal, Arvidsson, Subban, Ellis, Ekholm, Josi, and Rinne

NJD
Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, Henrique, Greene, Lovejoy, Severson, Moore, and Schneider

NYI
Tavares, Ladd, Lee, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Nelson, Strome, Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic, and Greiss

NYR
Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Zuc, Miller, Grabner, Zibby, Girardi, Staal, McDonagh, and Lundqvist

Notes: This was tough between Grabner/Hayes. Also I don't feel like at least 1 of Girardi and Staal will be around and force a protection slot. May need to revisit as moves occur.

OTT
Hoffman, Brassard, Turris, Stone, Smith, Pageau, Karlsson, Methot, Ceci, and Anderson

Notes:
Phaneuf waives. All i've heard is Ryan would be exposed to lose the contract, if that changed let me know.

PHI
Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Flip, Couturier, Bellemere, Ghost, Manning, Gudas, and Stolarz

PIT
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Rust, Kuhnackel, Letang, Dumo, Maatta, and Murray

Note: Confident Fleury is traded by then. 0% chance Murray leaves Pittsburgh

SJ
Couture, Pavelski, Boedker, Ward, Hertl, Tierney, Burns, Vlasic, Braun and Jones.

Notes:
Thornton and Marleau left unprotected. Thornton will re-sign with Sharks, and Marleau moves on but not to Vegas.

STL
Tarasenko, Stastny, Steen, Schwartz, Berglund, Perron, Sobotka, Pietrangelo, Edmundson, Jaybo, and Allen

TBL
Stamkos, Callahan, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Drouin, Paquette, Hedman, Stralman, Dotchin, and Vas.

Note: Last D spot was tough. Get the sense TBL would be happy with Cap relief from Garrison or Coburn going. Koekkoek hasn't progressed.

TOR
Kadri, Bozak, JVR, Brown, Komarov, Rychel, Martin, Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, and Andersen

Note: Leafs could upgrade defense which may adjust things

VAN
Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund, Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson and Markstrom

WSH
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Mojo, Burakovsky, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Eller, Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Holtby

WPG
Schiefele, Little, Perrault, Wheeler, Trouba, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Myers and Helleybuck

VEGAS PICKS

(obviously teams may make moves prior to avoid losing players for nothing)

ANA: Vatanen
ARI: Holland
BOS: C.Miller
BUF: Carrier
CGY: Shinkaruk
CAR: McGinn
CHI: TVR (and get Kruger as per prev reports in a trade)
COL: Pickard
CBJ: Karlsson
DAL: Nemeth
DET: Sheahan
EDM: Brossoit
FLA: Demers
LAK: Martinez
MIN: Neiderieter
MTL: Davidson
NSH: Sissons
NJD: Cammalleri
NYI: De Haan
NYR: Hayes
OTT: Ryan
PHI: Read
PIT: Schultz
SJS: Dillon
STL: Reaves
TBL: JT Brown
TOR: Leivo
VAN: Gaunce
WSH: Grubauer
WPG: Lowry

17/14 Forwards
10/9 Defense
3/3 Goalies

49.5M/73M Cap

Tried my best guys :)

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
WTFMAN--good work. I think though that Buffalo will protect Carrier and leave either Ennis or Bogosian off the list==probably Ennis. Money, term, injury issues are my reasons for thinking along those lines.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're wrong..

Vegas can select UFA's they just don't count to the 60% salary cap requirement.

:facepalm:

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

Education ppl

Not Pierre Lebrun understanding.

The expansion draft rules won’t allow for teams to leave free agents unprotected in order to scare Las Vegas away. The league’s newest club will get a 48-hour window to work out a deal with any free agents — restricted or unrestricted — before the expansion draft.

ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported that one of the expansion draft rules will see the Las Vegas club, will be given a 48-hour window in which they’re able to negotiate with free agents, both restricted and unrestricted, who have gone unprotected by their respective teams.

Allowing the Las Vegas team to negotiate with free agents who are left unprotected only makes sense, too. If this wasn’t a provision included in the draft’s rules, it would be entirely possible for Las Vegas to scoop up a pending free agent who goes unprotected — say goaltender Ben Bishop, a legitimate starting netminder who could be hitting the open market come July — only to lose that player come the start of free agency if the drafted player has no interest in playing in Las Vegas.

When the expansion franchise is built, it needs to know that the players it selects will absolutely be staying with the organization following the draft. If that’s not the case, then selections could be wasted and the NHL’s desire to give the Las Vegas franchise a legitimate chance at putting up some wins in their first campaign could go out the window.

This does provide an interesting opportunity for free agents, too. With Las Vegas being able to give the opening offer for those who go unprotected, free agents who go unprotected will be able to see what the market for them could offer, and not landing with the Las Vegas franchise through the expansion draft doesn’t necessarily keep them from signing with the club once free agency opens. Early insight won’t likely be a bad thing for pending free agents.

Link: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...dow-to-negotiate-with-unprotected-free-agents

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
its flawed. Pending UFAs shouldn't count as coming from their current team. IE McIlhenney, unless we re-sign him, isnt an eligible player for exposure from the Leafs.

Good job TSN :facepalm:
yup, found the process pretty complicated to put together a good team when being punished for UFA's

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
here's what I came up with last night while enjoying a couple of rums.........

Vegas Golden Knights

Show 16/17 Stats
Show Salary

forwards
Team Name Pos Age GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Boone Jenner C 23 82 18 16 34 14 52
Brody Sutter C 24
Byron Froese C 25 6 0 0 0 -3 5
Cal Clutterbuck RW 28 66 5 15 20 2 28
Derek Stepan C 26 81 17 38 55 19 16
Devante Smith-Pelly RW 24 53 4 5 9 -19 12
Jack Skille RW 28 55 5 4 9 0 12
Jiri Hudler RW 32 32 3 8 11 -3 4
John Mitchell C 31 65 3 4 7 -12 45
Kyle Clifford LW 25 73 6 6 12 -2 92
Luke Glendening C 27 74 3 11 14 -10 26
Troy Brouwer RW 31 74 13 12 25 -11 31
Viktor Stalberg LW 30 75 11 5 16 -9 41
Vladimir Sobotka LW 29
defense
Team Name Pos Age GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Adam McQuaid D 29 77 2 8 10 4 71
Alexey Marchenko D 24 41 1 7 8 7 12
Brandon Davidson D 25 38 0 3 3 -2 20
Dmitry Kulikov D 25 47 2 3 5 -26 26
Griffin Reinhart D 22
Jared Spurgeon D 26 76 10 28 38 33 20
Johnny Oduya D 34 52 2 7 9 -4 18
Mark Stuart D 32 42 2 2 4 4 27
Nate Schmidt D 25 60 3 14 17 22 16
Nick Schultz D 34 28 0 4 4 1 10
Sami Vatanen D 25 71 3 21 24 3 30
Yannick Weber D 27 73 1 7 8 1 25
Goalies
Team Name Pos Age GP W L T/O SV% GAA
Mike Smith G 34 55 19 26 9 0.914 2.92
Cam Ward G 32 61 26 22 12 0.905 2.69
Marc-Andre Fleury G 31 38 18 10 7 0.909

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
TSN's is stupid, hate to say it.

Colorado already stated Varlamov is being protected

Suter and Spurgeon are locks to be protected by Minnesota

A part of me will be surprised if Jenner is exposed

Stepan isn't being exposed.

Mike Green isn't being exposed. Dekeyers, Green and likely Kronwall are being protected.

Without taking trades into account, I like my list a lot more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TSN's is stupid, hate to say it.

Colorado already stated Varlamov is being protected

Suter and Spurgeon are locks to be protected by Minnesota

A part of me will be surprised if Jenner is exposed

Stepan isn't being exposed.

Mike Green isn't being exposed. Dekeyers, Green and likely Kronwall are being protected.

Without taking trades into account, I like my list a lot more.

Your method is better and likely far more accurate than TSN.

Vegas have access to UFA and RFA is fine, but the player has to agree to terms with Knights and in many cases that is not going to happen, so allowing them to pick any as if its a sure thing is badly flawed.

Trades are going to happen as Jackets are not going to lose Jenner for nothing.. Many teams would likely give them their 1st this year if they have protection room. Leafs sending the #17 for Jenner would be a steal for example. Leafs protect him instead Leivo for example.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Think Vegas will stay away from some overpaid veterans instead will take some "AHLers" instead.
Gotta think Vegas will make a splash in Free Agency. Already have Shipanov, do Radulov and Kovalchuk follow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad