TSN: Expansion Draft Simulator

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Not sure if you guys have seen this but TSN put up a nifty little expansion draft simulator and I thought it would interesting to see what kind of teams people come up with.

Link to the simulator: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

Here's the team I managed to cobble together:

Player|Team|Position
Boone Jenner|CBJ|C
Alexander Radulov|MTL|RW
Calle Jarnkrok|NSH|C
Derek Stepan|NYR|C
Bobby Ryan|OTT|RW
David Perron|STL|LW
T.J. Oshie|WSH|RW
Michael Cammalleri|NJD|LW
Matt Moulson|BUFF|LW
Marko Dano|WPG|C
Hunter Shinkaruk|CGY|C
Radim Vrbata|ARI|RW
Blake Comeau|COL|LW
Cedric Paquette|TBL|C
Sami Vatanen|ANA|D
Mark Pysyk|FLA|D
Jared Spurgeon|MIN|D
Ryan Pulock|NYI|D
Justin Schultz|PITT|D
Trevor van Riemsdyk|CHI|D
Jamie Oleksiak|DAL|D
Klas Dahlbeck|CAR|D
David Schlemko|SJS|D
Steve Mason|PHI|G
Malcolm Subban|BOS|G
Curtis McElhinney|TOR|G

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
NAME TEAM POS
Sami Vatanen ANA D
Alex Burmistrov ARI C
Adam McQuaid BOS D
Matt Moulson BUF LW
Phillip Di Giuseppe CAR LW
Joonas Korpisalo CBJ G
Alex Chiasson CGY RW
Trevor van Riemsdyk CHI D
Mikhail Grigorenko COL C
Curtis McKenzie DAL LW
Mike Green DET D
Tyler Pitlick EDM RW
Alex Petrovic FLA D
Trevor Lewis LAK C
Jason Zucker MIN LW
Nathan Beaulieu MTL D
Michael Cammalleri NJD LW
Craig Smith NSH RW
Calvin de Haan NYI D
Derek Stepan NYR C
Marc Methot OTT D
Michal Neuvirth PHI G
Justin Schultz PIT D
Aaron Dell SJS G
David Perron STL LW
Alex Killorn TBL C
Brendan Leipsic TOR LW
Andrey Pedan VAN D
Joel Armia WPG RW
Jay Beagle WSH RW

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
its flawed. Pending UFAs shouldn't count as coming from their current team. IE McIlhenney, unless we re-sign him, isnt an eligible player for exposure from the Leafs.

Good job TSN :facepalm:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
its flawed. Pending UFAs shouldn't count as coming from their current team. IE McIlhenney, unless we re-sign him, isnt an eligible player for exposure from the Leafs.

I am pretty sure they do. If Vegas decides to sign McElhinney in the early FA period they get, he counts as our guy. That's why you can protect FA's as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am pretty sure they do. If Vegas decides to sign McElhinney in the early FA period they get, he counts as our guy. That's why you can protect FA's as well.

If I were them I would be taking him and if they don't I hope we are signing him.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
If I were them I would be taking him and if they don't I hope we are signing him.

There are way better goaltending options for Vegas in the expansion draft than Mcelhinney.

They might sign him as a UFA, but there's no chance they take him in the draft.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Stepan? TSN, that's grossly incompetent if you think he'll be exposed. There are other questionable thing but that is completely insane. I wish we could see which guys TSN has the Rags protecting ahead of Stepan

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Can you clarify this point. So if Vegas sign's a teams UFA, they are not able to pick a player from that team in the expansion draft? so...using the McElhinny example, if he is signed in the 72 hour window, Vegas would not be able to take a leafs player in the expansion draft?!

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
using Cap Friendly and the auto protection:

Matt Moulson (BUF)
Vladamir Sobatka (STL)
Zach Smith (OTT)
Kevin Hayes (NYR)
Riley Sheahan (DET)
Calle Jarnkrok (NSH)
Vladislav Namestnikov (TBL)
Joakim Nordstrom (CAR)
William Karlsson (CBJ)
Joel Armia (WPG)
Emile Poirier (CGY)
Brandan Gaunce (VAN)
Jacob De La Rose (MTL)
Brandon Leipsic (TOR)
Nick Cousins (PHI)
Josh Jooris (ARZ)

Sami Vatanen (ANA)
Jason Demers (FLA)
Jonas Brodin (MIN)
Brayden McNabb (LAK)
Ryan Pullock (NYI)
Trevor Van Riemsdyk (CHI)
Mirco Mueller (SJS)
Jamie Oleksiak (DAL)
Griffin Reinhart (EDM)
Derrick Pouliot (PIT)

Calvin Pickard (COL)
Philipp Grubauer (WSH)
Malcolm Subban (BOS)
Scott Wedgewood (NJ)

Forwards:

As to be expected a lot of middle 6 forwards. They'll have the depth but the top line will leave something left to be desired. IMO Karlsson is their best building block of the forward group. An opportunity for Moulson and Sheahan to bounce back and Sobotka to readjust to the NHL. A couple NHL ready prospects in Armia and Leipsic that could hopefully be good surprises given an opportunity.

Defense:

Not a bad group in spite of no top pairing guys. I would say you have three #3 D-Men in Vatanen, Demers and Brodin. Of course it's up in the air what Anaheim and Minnesota do with their D-Core prior to the draft but if those 2 are available Las Vegas has to be excited. McNabb and TVR provide a little consistency to the bottom half of the D-Pairings. Pullock I see as bait to try and improve their forward core. As Well as a couple risks in Reinhart, Pouliot and Mueller.

Goalies:

I really like the idea of a Grubauer/Pickard tandem. Enough that I left Raanta out. Subban and Wedgewood also make a great pair of reserves.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Big fail on TSN's part with the UFA's. With that said, that team won't look as bad as I thought. They wont be great but they'll be good on D and in net. If they can make trades for forwards and sign some free agents, they could be an average team.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Big fail on TSN's part with the UFA's. With that said, that team won't look as bad as I thought. They wont be great but they'll be good on D and in net. If they can make trades for forwards and sign some free agents, they could be an average team.

They won't be an average team.

They'll be dead last and terrible.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Can you clarify this point. So if Vegas sign's a teams UFA, they are not able to pick a player from that team in the expansion draft? so...using the McElhinny example, if he is signed in the 72 hour window, Vegas would not be able to take a leafs player in the expansion draft?!
That's correct.

mayfield7

Jan 19, 2016
100%

Vegas can't claim pending UFA players from teams.

They have 48 hours to negotiate with pending free agents before the draft. If they reach a deal, that counts as their selection for that team. That's why they're included here.

But you're right they don't count as eligible selections either. Seems to be drawing a bunch of confusion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
not true. If Vegas signs an impending UFA it does count as the pick against that team.

Vegas can sign UFA's but you can't claim them in the expansion draft.

The flaw here is that the pending UFAs must sign a contract with Vegas. Not all or many UFAs will want to join an expansion team due to its expected losing seasons ahead nor possibly agree to contract terms during the 48 hour window.

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
They won't be an average team.

They'll be dead last and terrible.
Yes, I think they will be last they are in the pacific division. I see Colorado even doing better but question is will they be in top 5 worst winning percentage nhl seasons ever. Think they will do better than 1974-75 Capitals who ended up with 8-67-5 record. Think will get more than 21 points my guess around 25.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Yes. That's what I've read before.

Based on what I read on TSN, if a UFA is selected by the LVGK from a particular team, that will be the player selected from that team for the ED. You can verify this if you'd like by finding the article that mentioned this on the TSN website.

If you google this, you should find it: tsn article las vegas golden knights expansion draft

"Vegas can also sign any restricted free agent or unrestricted free agent left unprotected, but that would count as the one player lost by an NHL team. The signing period will also be from Sunday, June 18 at 10am et/7am pt to Wednesday, June 21 at 10am et/7am pt."

Last edited:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

You're wrong..

Vegas can select UFA's they just don't count to the 60% salary cap requirement.

:facepalm:

UFAs 2016-17 contracts do NOT count toward the 60% salary cap requirement Las Vegas must meet in selecting their 30 players in the Expansion Draft. But… If a UFA is selected, and signed by Las Vegas during the draft, their contract will go towards the 60% requirement.

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

Education ppl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad